carat
color
clarity

Rihanna's trashy necklace

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1315227484|3009986 said:
She's a predictably talentless marketing creation, nothing more.

When Rihanna first hit this country, I thought she was adorable. I have both her first hit (Pon de Replay) and her latest one (Cheers) on my iPod. She certainly isn't my favorite recording artist, but I think she is capable of some cute music!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
There was a similar stink after the movie Closer came out because Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman exchanged necklaces with C*nt and lil c*nt on them as a joke. It's not something I would prefer to be called directly, but I can't say I'm offended by someone wearing it either. To each their own, I suppose.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1315237025|3010053 said:

When Rihanna first hit this country, I thought she was adorable. I have both her first hit (Pon de Replay) and her latest one (Cheers) on my iPod. She certainly isn't my favorite recording artist, but I think she is capable of some cute music!

Deb/AGBF

Well, I guess it depends on what you require from your music. My generation certainly put out some ghastly pop pablum in its day too, but I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. My rule of thumb is pretty much, if the success of your "music" requires that you be pre-pubescent (because it's so much more impressive if you're 11 and 11 year olds sound so much better than adults. :rolleyes: ) I have to LOOK at you in a meat dress as you're flown onto the stage on a wire while showering the crowd with water (and yes, I realize I mixed several "artists" with that line) then your "music" is probably not good enough to stand on its own. At least not in my book. But then I'm admittedly pretty darn picky about who gets my musical admiration. I admire accomplished instrumentalists, people who can arrange interesting instrumentation and write well-layered harmonies, and vocalists who have more than a half-octave range and know how to use it - and can do it without having to be massaged through vocal processors and pitch correctors. And I most admire musicians who can sublimate their egos and personas to the music.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1315241242|3010092 said:
AGBF|1315237025|3010053 said:

Deb/AGBF

Well, I guess it depends on what you require from your music. My generation certainly put out some ghastly pop pablum in its day too, but I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. My rule of thumb is pretty much, if the success of your "music" requires that you be pre-pubescent (because it's so much more impressive if you're 11 and 11 year olds sound so much better than adults. :rolleyes: ) I have to LOOK at you in a meat dress as you're flown onto the stage on a wire while showering the crowd with water (and yes, I realize I mixed several "artists" with that line) then your "music" is probably not good enough to stand on its own. At least not in my book. But then I'm admittedly pretty darn picky about who gets my musical admiration. I admire accomplished instrumentalists, people who can arrange interesting instrumentation and write well-layered harmonies, and vocalists who have more than a half-octave range and know how to use it - and can do it without having to be massaged through vocal processors and pitch correctors. And I most admire musicians who can sublimate their egos and personas to the music.

Ditto. I saw a PBS fundraising special last night of Peter, Paul and Mary. Sublime. THEY knew how to write, sing, and play. Two guitars and three voices. That's all they needed. No post-production fiddling to fix their wobbly out-of-tuneness. Until Mary's death in 2009, they sang as wonderfully - live- as they had in the 1960s.

We won't be singing Rihanna/Bieber/Miley/Beyonce songs in 2041. There is nothing catchy, lasting, or evocative of things outside our own selfishness in their stuff. I was taught PPM songs in grade school. I doubt anyone anywhere is teaching the current tacky tunes to youngsters. If they are, they need to be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of minors.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Is there ANY time period where the old biddies haven't said the youngsters listened to no-talent hacks with terrible morals?

Didn't think so.

I <3 Pop Music, from The Beach Boys to Katy Perry. I've stopped pretending otherwise.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I guess it depends on what you require from your music.

I gotta enjoy it, k. You know me pretty well. I have very eclectic and wide ranging taste in music.

My generation certainly put out some ghastly pop pablum in its day too, but I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. My rule of thumb is pretty much, if the success of your "music" requires that you be pre-pubescent (because it's so much more impressive if you're 11 and 11 year olds sound so much better than adults. :rolleyes: ) I have to LOOK at you in a meat dress as you're flown onto the stage on a wire while showering the crowd with water (and yes, I realize I mixed several "artists" with that line) then your "music" is probably not good enough to stand on its own.

At least not in my book. But then I'm admittedly pretty darn picky about who gets my musical admiration. I admire accomplished instrumentalists, people who can arrange interesting instrumentation and write well-layered harmonies, and vocalists who have more than a half-octave range and know how to use it - and can do it without having to be massaged through vocal processors and pitch correctors. And I most admire musicians who can sublimate their egos and personas to the music.

I admire many excellent musicians; exquisite vocalists; and great compositions (especially harmonies and madrigals). I admire other music, too, though. I have always liked country music; rock and roll; folk music; Cajun music; reggae; and many other varieties of non-classical music as well as classical music of many genres. Not all musicians in all these genres have clasically trained voices or sing on key...but sometimes that is part of their charm...for me.

For every Joan Baez and Mimi Farina in the folk music world, there's a Bob Dylan and a Leonard Cohen, but I still like to hear the latter type sing.

Deb/AGBF

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1315259039|3010250 said:
Well, I guess it depends on what you require from your music.

I gotta enjoy it, k. You know me pretty well. I have very eclectic and wide ranging taste in music.

My generation certainly put out some ghastly pop pablum in its day too, but I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. My rule of thumb is pretty much, if the success of your "music" requires that you be pre-pubescent (because it's so much more impressive if you're 11 and 11 year olds sound so much better than adults. :rolleyes: ) I have to LOOK at you in a meat dress as you're flown onto the stage on a wire while showering the crowd with water (and yes, I realize I mixed several "artists" with that line) then your "music" is probably not good enough to stand on its own.

At least not in my book. But then I'm admittedly pretty darn picky about who gets my musical admiration. I admire accomplished instrumentalists, people who can arrange interesting instrumentation and write well-layered harmonies, and vocalists who have more than a half-octave range and know how to use it - and can do it without having to be massaged through vocal processors and pitch correctors. And I most admire musicians who can sublimate their egos and personas to the music.

I admire many excellent musicians; exquisite vocalists; and great compositions (especially harmonies and madrigals). I admire other music, too, though. I have always liked country music; rock and roll; folk music; Cajun music; reggae; and many other varieties of non-classical music as well as classical music of many genres. Not all musicians in all these genres have clasically trained voices or sing on key...but sometimes that is part of their charm...for me.

For every Joan Baez and Mimi Farina in the folk music world, there's a Bob Dylan and a Leonard Cohen, but I still like to hear the latter type sing.

Deb/AGBF

Deb, I listen to all that stuff too. And I don't require classically trained voices - that would sound silly for any genre but classical. But I do require singing on key. There is no amount of "charm" or "creative tone system" drivel that can excuse that in my book. It is actually almost painful to listen to - like fingernails on a chalkboard. I've always been like that, and 4 years of training in classical/theatre singing only made it worse. I guess that's why I personally prefer ensemble work - you work together or you fall flat on your face. It's a discipline thing.

I really just don't like so-called singers that are more ego than actual music, and pop music is frequently more about flash than substance. It probably means I'm a hopeless snob (or maybe an old biddy...?), but there it is.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I might not wear it, but it doesn't bother me at all. If you don't like it don't look at it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I've been many things here on PS. I might as well add 'old biddy' to the list. :naughty: :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS|1315272562|3010392 said:
I've been many things here on PS. I might as well add 'old biddy' to the list. :naughty: :bigsmile:
It was bound to happen eventually. ;))

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
ksinger, I'm with you in that I think a prerequisite for being a singer should be the ability to actually SING. Auto-tune is destroying music, and that's sad. But I'm also a classically-trained singer, so I sense a common thread here.

I do like a lot of today's pop music - it's catchy and fun to dance to, but I agree that it won't be what we're listening to in 50 years.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SC86|1315270585|3010360 said:
I might not wear it, but it doesn't bother me at all. If you don't like it don't look at it.

Ah yes, the cry of the ME generation. It's all about ME. All the time. I MUST be free to express myself at all costs (and oddly enough, everything I do or wear is designed to elicit attention and reaction from the very people whose opinions I purport to scorn) and if anyone dares object or says anything that isn't just GLOWING, then they're narrow-minded, old-fashioned, maybe even bigots. :rolleyes:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1315276502|3010439 said:

Ah yes, the cry of the ME generation. It's all about ME. All the time. I MUST be free to express myself at all costs (and oddly enough, everything I do or wear is designed to elicit attention and reaction from the very people whose opinions I purport to scorn) and if anyone dares object or says anything that isn't just GLOWING, then they're narrow-minded, old-fashioned, maybe even bigots. :rolleyes:

As sillyberry pointed out to me - - "It was bound to happen eventually" - - I've decided I really like you. :bigsmile:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
All this talk and attention is exactly what she wanted. Just ignore, and she'll go away.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1315279377|3010470 said:
All this talk and attention is exactly what she wanted. Just ignore, and she'll go away.

Good point!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1315277338|3010451 said:

As sillyberry pointed out to me - - "It was bound to happen eventually" - - I've decided I really like you. :bigsmile:

Well, Holly, you and I decided we liked each other years ago...and I'm a flaming liberal. Ksinger (although you could have fooled me) claims not even to be a liberal, so why on earth is it a shock you should like her? We (you and I) were the ones who appeared to be polar opposites during the presidential primaries in 2008!

Deb-Best Friends Forever With Holly and Karen
:saint:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might be the lone dissenter. I don't have a single ounce of concern about it. The word does not offend me one bit, and I use it frequently in conversation. I think it would be less of a big deal if people ignored it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1315322517|3010706 said:
HollyS|1315277338|3010451 said:

Well, Holly, you and I decided we liked each other years ago...and I'm a flaming liberal. Ksinger (although you could have fooled me) claims not even to be a liberal, so why on earth is it a shock you should like her? We (you and I) were the ones who appeared to be polar opposites during the presidential primaries in 2008!

Deb-Best Friends Forever With Holly and Karen
:saint:

Deb, you've always been perfectly reasonable in your defense of your positions. I like reasonable; therefore, I always liked you. :wink2: And we found common ground early on.

Karen and I have had 'words' with each other. Lots of them. But, I'm beginning to think she's a lot like me! At least, we're equally curmudgeonly! We're just a couple of old biddies, lamenting the crassness of today's 'culture'. So, we finally found our common ground. I sincerely hope it doesn't reflect badly on either of us. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ame|1315323052|3010716 said:
I might be the lone dissenter. I don't have a single ounce of concern about it. The word does not offend me one bit, and I use it frequently in conversation. I think it would be less of a big deal if people ignored it.

I cannot imagine an occasion where I would use this word in conversation. What kind of conversation would that be?

I have used the f-bomb. But then, maybe only the Amish have never used that word.

But this? Is it a new 'all purpose, use it instead a verb or adjective' word destined to replace the f-bomb for those with potty mouths?

But, then, I also don't like douche, dick, wad, and a whole bunch of other tacky words alluding to private parts and functions.

Ah, well, there I go, being an old biddy again. Gosh, I need to stop that. :roll:

BTW, did we have one of these threads when Rihanna wore the "eff you" necklace, and then had her photo taken with a bunch of children? This isn't her first 'trashy' necklace it appears. She has a theme going in her jewelry choices. How very eclectic.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS|1315324020|3010729 said:

I cannot imagine an occasion where I would use this word in conversation. What kind of conversation would that be?

I have used the f-bomb. But then, maybe only the Amish have never used that word.

But this? Is it a new 'all purpose, use it instead a verb or adjective' word destined to replace the f-bomb for those with potty mouths?

But, then, I also don't like douche, dick, wad, and a whole bunch of other tacky words alluding to private parts and functions.

Ah, well, there I go, being an old biddy again. Gosh, I need to stop that. :roll:

BTW, did we have one of these threads when Rihanna wore the "eff you" necklace, and then had her photo taken with a bunch of children? This isn't her first 'trashy' necklace it appears. She has a theme going in her jewelry choices. How very eclectic.
Please don't - PS would be so much less interesting!

I have a female friend who uses the C-word regularly to deride other women and I cringe whenever she does it. I still haven't become desensitized to it, although I do ignore it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1315328484|3010780 said:
HollyS|1315324020|3010729 said:

Please don't - PS would be so much less interesting!

I have a female friend who uses the C-word regularly to deride other women and I cringe whenever she does it. I still haven't become desensitized to it, although I do ignore it.
I dunno, I don't see a big deal about any of those words. I don't get repulsed by any of the "dirty" words. The ones that make me cringe are tihngs like "panties" or moist. Those are words that are like nails on a chalkboard. I have worked in maybe one place where it was no ok to speak with expletives. It seems like every place I end up is just more and more expletive laden. I don't know that any of my friends are offended, not one has ever reacted negatively or commented. Even my MIL uses it occasionally. Its not that big of a deal to me, and I am an adult. And the more of a big deal people make the more kids are likely to use them. If they don't see anyone react, they won't think it's a word worth remembering.

the only times I don't use these types of words are with bridal clients.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
It isn't that these words are 'repulsive' or 'dirty'. It's that they are crass.
Class is a world away from crass. I think I'd rather aspire to class.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im both ends of that. I can adapt to my crowd if ever necessary.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ame, I'll join you on the crass train, I guess. It's not that I can't act like a lady when it's required, it's just that it's not required that often!

I also think it's interesting that the c word is the one that people generally hate the most when it comes to slang terms for that particular body part, because it's the only one that has a) any strength to the sound of the word (like its male equivalents) and b) is applied to more aggressive people (rather than more passive people like the other words we use for that body part are). Quite frankly, I would much rather use words that paint my lady parts as strong and agressive, rather than wimpy and weak.

But then, I'm just crass like that. ;-)

SC86

Shiny_Rock

Strange...I don't recall calling anyone narrow-minded, let alone a bigot in my earlier response.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
SC86|1315334978|3010851 said:

Strange...I don't recall calling anyone narrow-minded, let alone a bigot in my earlier response.

You didn't.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SC86|1315334978|3010851 said:

SC - I think that Ksinger was trying to point out a habitual line used with a general outlook. She didn't mean you directly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

...but sillyberry's quote is true for so much. Don't like same sex marriage? Don't marry someone of the same sex! Don't like abortion? Don't have one! Don't like ****? Don't watch it! Etc., etc. Same thing applies here.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'll admit, as a younger one (31) I don't like the words c*nt, or its male equivalent d*ckhead, or f*ck. But sh!t and Jesus Christ are represented very prominently in my vocabulary. Go figure. And I admit that I get a kick out of listening to my mom's old pop records from the 70s, like Little Willy by Sweet. The Beatles when they started out were pop and Madonna was very provocative when she started out but she does have a nice voice and I actually like 'Like a Prayer' even if the video is rather questionable. The song is still beautiful.

and ksinger, I just have to ask, since you say you don't like a lot of ego in singers, what do you think of Barbra Streisand? I think she's got a marvelous voice and can sing almost anything but from all reports, her ego is the size of the Grand Canyon. I agree ego doesn't equal talent but at least in Streisand's case, I'd say a large, obnoxious ego doesn't equal lack of talent.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
AmeliaG|1315341451|3010931 said:
and ksinger, I just have to ask, since you say you don't like a lot of ego in singers, what do you think of Barbra Streisand? I think she's got a marvelous voice and can sing almost anything but from all reports, her ego is the size of the Grand Canyon. I agree ego doesn't equal talent but at least in Streisand's case, I'd say a large, obnoxious ego doesn't equal lack of talent.

Quite. Nor does being "young" and popular mean they automatically don't have talent. Just because you don't like a particular style of music, doesn't mean they are all hacks. They clearly make money for a reason - because people LIKE THEM. :rolleyes: Imagine that.

I don't see the big deal about the necklace. I wouldn't wear it, but that's because I like to be more subtle. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results