shape
carat
color
clarity

right hand diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I put this in the hangout forum because it really has nothing to do with purchasing a rhr, I''m just curious as to some opinions.

One of my boyfriend''s friends just announced that his wife wants a divorce. They wed after only dating for 6 months, and have only been married six months. We all knew she was kind of psycho but didn''t say anything because love is blind. Anyway, the warning signs were all there. This was her third marriage at 34 years old....she still had pictures of her and her ex husbands hanging in her house...she was extremely controlling...the list goes on an on. I mean, this woman was a real piece of work. We went to their "reception" party that was basically just a party at her house, and the joke was that all of her platters and fancy cake stands were probably from previous wedding registries. But the thing that bothered my boyfriend and I the most about her, was this HUGE HONKIN diamond ring that she wore on her right hand. It was part of one of her *other* engagement rings. She put the diamond into the a new setting, except it still looked so much like an engagement ring that my boyfriend and I and our friend''s mother and sister thought it was ridiculous. I should probably mention that in her house....with all of our friend''s family present....hanging smack in her living room...was a close-up shot of her and her ex-husbands hands with their wedding rings on. So, everyone recognized the diamond. It was just extremely tacky. Her first diamond was a round, the second diamond was a marquis, and this time around she had a princess. We think she''s trying to collect them all.

Anyway, do people do this a lot? Because I know some of the woman on here wear diamond rings on their right hand, but are these rings from previous marriages? Are my boyfriend and I just extremely naive? We weren''t the only ones that were bothered by it. I just think that if I were to get divorced, I don''t know what I would do with my diamond, but probably not THAT. Maybe make it into a pendant? I don''t know.

I guess I''m just wondering what your opinions are.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a three-stone diamond RHR, but the 2 smaller stones were a present from my DH and the larger one he also bought for me, for no particular reason other than that he wanted to give it to me.
1.gif

I personally would not keep and have not kept anything given to me by my ex's, let alone keeping another engagement ring and flaunting it. That's just me though. I love my hubby with all my heart and do not need or want anything to remind me of (an)other man (men).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
If anything happened to my husband, I would find another way to wear my diamond. This diamond. I would probably reset it or maybe I wouldn''t... My husband feels this diamond is from him, but most of the time I feel like it was from me. The ring as a whole will be a symbol of love, the diamond is a symbol of his sacrifice, but it is a symbol of patience for me as well. It is a lot of things to me, and I just love *this* diamond. A round or princess I''d replace in a heartbeat... a marquise would depend on how special *that* stone was....but my omb? I''d keep it! But I''d take down the pics of it on the wall LOL If he died I would keep it as is and wear it on my right hand as a symbol of this family as it is.... if divorced I''d reset it differently in a rhr. I really freaking love my diamond yanno LOL

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i have a friend who remarried and had her first ring set into a beautiful pendant and the sidestones into huggies earrings....she never wears the pendant because she thinks its weird...i said to send it my way..lol

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
My mother wants to make her wedding rings into another ring. She doesn't have a huge diamond but it's still a nice set with about a half carat diamond in the center and some smaller diamonds around it. My parents were married for over thirty years before getting divorced and she certainly deserves to keep her diamonds and then some. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as it's clearly NOT a wedding ring.

I don't think most RHRs are diamonds left over after a divorce, though. I'd really like an anniversary ring some day as a RHR, and I want a diamond ring. I always thought most RHRs were presents like that- special anniversaries or the birth of a child or other special celebration.

I DO think there's something wrong with keeping your wedding photos displayed after a divorce. That's just disturbing and a sign that she needs some help letting go. I hope your boyfriend's friend finds someone a bit more stable to be the special person in his life.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i don''t have an ex husband nor was i engaged to anyone else before my husband so i don''t have a diamond that fits this category. i do not find it strange or think it is really any of my business what people do with diamonds or other jewelry that falls into this category. i would find the pics of the former husband and wife odd but as far as wearing the diamond i can''t get psyched about that. everybody has different comfort levels and it is probably just a piece of jewelry to her now.

if my husband gave me a car i loved and we divorced i would not feel compelled to sell or trade it. i can only assume when the marriage is over the ring was just a piece of jewelry she liked. if it does not bother the new husband i''ts ok for them. i don''t see a lot of difference in this and using an old diamond to finance a new one for a new marriage.

i understand you finding it odd but i don''t understand why it would bother you. maybe that is just a figure of speech and this is just something you are curious about. i can understand just conversing about something different and not really being bothered with what someone else was wearing. jmho.
1.gif

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I still have the diamond from a previous engagement that didn''t pan out. When we broke up, I contacted Tiffany''s to see if they could reset the diamond into a right hand ring. All T&Co would do with the Lucida was put it in a pendant. I already had a pendant, so I looked into selling the diamond. I loved the diamond way more than I ever loved the man, so I couldn''t bear to part with it. I ended up having the diamond reset into what is supposed to look as little like an engagement ring as possible--wide band and channel set baguettes alternating with emerald cut sapphires. Even though I wear it on my right hand, people still seem to think it''s an engagement ring.

People are often curious how it is that I have a 2 1/4 carat diamond in a right hand ring. If I want to get into it, I tell them where it came from. Otherwise, I often lie and say it was my grandmother''s diamond.

I think my wearing this ring used to bother my BF (now FI), but he''s realized over the years that its about my love for the diamond not for the guy that got away.

The pictures of the exs are a bit odd, but I totally understand your boyfriend''s friends soon-to-be ex-wife wanting to enjoy the diamonds. My FI''s sister is divorced and she just has her beautiful diamond sitting in its original setting in a safe. What a waste!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results