shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Hughes visits red andesine mine in Tibet

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
The stones look quite lovely! Haven't even gone off to look at what the hoopla was about, but I can see why they sold at good prices. Hope the mystery is solved one way or another.

Laura

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for naive question. I understand that the scandal was about authenticity of the stone sold as untreated, and names involved at proving its authenticity. But besides it, what was the attraction of this stone? Its hardness is 6 -6.5, the color is pretty but not stunning. Many pretty stones are treated these days and sold without disclosure, take turquoise, for example, or lapis.
Were prices at which this stone was sold disproportionately high? Was it much better than Oregon labradorite?

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A lot of gemstones can be assumed to be treated but that still doesn't excuse lack of disclosure on them. I consider all emeralds, for instance, to be oiled when I'm buying and tend to lean towards a seller that will fess up in advance. Andesine was sold as a naturally occuring gemstone from the start. It was hyped on TV and a lot of "experts" either were fooled or participated in the hoax. As for its quality and suitability as a gemstone, I personally never liked it very much. The colors weren't very attractive and its hazy appearance turned me off completely. A good Oregon sunstone is in a different league. If I owned a sunstone mine, I would be doing my best to keep from having my material labeled as andesine. All of this is my opinion of course, but still I'm staying away from andesine now and in the future like it has the plague

Pete

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for disappearing from the discussion like that.

In my view, there is no doubt that the andesine sold on TV was treated - there is plenty of evidence that more than one person knew how to treat it, samples showing different level of treatment, etc (Richard Hughes comments on this in his article). However, finding a mine in Tibet is interesting to me, since ever since all this started, the Oregon mine owners have been harping on how they are the only source of natural red andesine/sunstone.

I think there is still a lot more work to be done in Tibet, but finding rough stones is a start, even if it isn't gem grade.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My question is, did they find a mine? Or did they find some non gem quality stones scattered about on or near the surface. I didn't see any pictures of a mining operation going, or the remnants of one, certainly nothing that could have produced the 1000's of stones sold by the gem shopping channels. The TV shopping channels sold this stuff day and night, I'd expect to see some trace of an actual mine.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
If you go to the bottom of the article, there are links to two shorter articles from GIA and I forget the other lab...they are easier to read than the longer article.

No, they did not find a mine. They were denied access to the mine they hoped to gain access to, and which they were granted permission by the government to go to. There was a local religious authority who apparently was unhappy with someone's previous visit (not them), and denied them access. They DID go nearby at a location indicated by local villagers, and found stones loose on the ground in several locations. In order to rule out "salting" of the location by locals, they dug in several random locations, including under more than one bush, down, I think a couple of feet, and found stones in those locations. Shrubs there grow quite slowly so the depth of the roots preclude "salting" by the natives of those locations.

So what did they prove? Assuming you believe the evidence provided in the report and photos...pics of holes dug, the shrubs under which they dug, and the photos of stones in several locations, and purchased from several people, and the gps coordinates of the location...then they proved that there are, indeed red andesine stones present at the location they visited, which is near the purported mine.

They did not prove there is a mine on this trip. The analysis of the stones they found is likely in progress (if what I read in other locations on the web is correct, cannot link to another forum). I assume the chemical and mineralogical content will be analyzed and compared with examples of other stones for which there is a known location. So...there are future chapters to the story.

Laura

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results