shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Homer Aqua + Etsy Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
My mom asked me what I would like for my bday recently, and gave me a price limit. I was wondering around gem sites (you people have fostered an obsession in me I am afraid!!!), and I found some very pretty aquas here

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/ClearanceItems.cfm

In particular no 9095 and no 4557

What do you think, are they a ''good deal''?

Also, if I bought, I thought about sending them to Hearts of Water on Etsy, to set in something simple. Would they look good bezeled, or maybe in a lotus?
Also, would it be possible to get the stone sent by the vendor straight to Hearts of Water? The finished ring would the be sent on to my Mom
My Mom would like me not to see the stone or finished product, and then present it to me, if poss.

As always thanks in advance for all your help.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a fan of concave cutting by Richard homer. I couldn''t pull your link it doesn''t work, so I''m sure it will be beautiful.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re thinking something bezeled or simple, I might go with a USA etsy vendor so that Richard can ship the stone insured.

You can ship to Sally at HOW, it''s just not for the faint of heart since you are advised not to insure it, and it''ll take over a week to get there and back.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Your link dosn''t work. This will at least take you to the right page.

I like the color of 4557 better, it seems a little deeper than the other one.

If you want a simple bezel, there a lot of US vendors who do that and you don''t have to ship you stone overseas. However, if you want a design in the bezel, Sally is mainly the one who is doing those, but I could be wrong.

I am sending an aqua of that price range to her and just taking the risk. But I know it could be replaced if lost, it I would be way more expensive to get a setting made in a jewelry store. I have a spess by Richard Homer that is more expensive, and there is no way I would put that in a box overseas uninsured. One, it would be two expensive to replace, and 2, I probably could not find one exactly like that as that material is hard to find.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
To make it easier to see the stones you are considering---

Here is aqua 9095

Enhancement H - Heating
Price $380.00
Comments:
A very nice medium blue with stunning brilliance and a scintillating concave crown that reaches to a small table...not the same as my flat faceted apex cuts....this one does have a small table so it can be safely worn in a ring or a pendant. Very scintillating cut, visible from across the room.

RichardHomer9095aq.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And here is 4557

Enhancement H - Heating
Price $320.00

Very nice color with a stunning concave design to not only maximize and homogeneously distribute the light but also display 5 images of the radiating culet pattern in the crown view....virtually visible from any vantage point!! Ideal as a small, elegant pendant or ring.

RichardH4557aq.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2009 11:26:27 AM
Author: Fly Girl
And here is 4557

Enhancement H - Heating
Price $320.00

Very nice color with a stunning concave design to not only maximize and homogeneously distribute the light but also display 5 images of the radiating culet pattern in the crown view....virtually visible from any vantage point!! Ideal as a small, elegant pendant or ring.
oooh I like this one!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
If you love the color, these are nicely priced stones from a renowned cutter. Rather than go with Etsy for the setting, I''d look into using a US based vendor who works closely with Richard Homer, and contact them to get the stone from Richard and set it for you. I have a local vendor near me in Minneapolis, but I know that Wink at High Performance Diamonds specializes in working with people via the internet. Link

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/27/2009 11:26:27 AM
Author: Fly Girl
And here is 4557

Enhancement H - Heating
Price $320.00

I love this stone. I considered getting it a while back, though, so I may be biased. I would love for it to go to a loving PS home.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, especially ltfirecracker and flygirl for making things clickable, and posting the photos. Also, thanks you all for the advice on sending it to Wink rather than Etsy- good call. I am going to ring tomorrow to get a quote. I just want a very simple solitaire, so its a good idea to save Etsy for another day!
Once again thanks- you are a cool group of people!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for 4557 - in terms of cutting they''re the same, in terms of size they''re pretty close too, so a deeper color of that one is the only thing making a real difference (and it saves you a few bucks too).

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input MaRe- Are they pretty much the same size? I admit that I was tending towards the other one, simply on the basis of a size difference. I want it as simple solitaire, so I thought the bigger size should win out, but if they are pretty much the same (I know the bigger the carat the less the size difference- so there is a big difference between .5 and .75, but less between 1.75 and 2, right?), then the smaller one is a winner!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well there is about a milimeter of a difference in diameter, which is not "the same", but it''s not a difference that would make me buy a stone of a paler color. I''d consider the larger/paler one if it were have a much better cut or clarity, but none is the case here.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 3:29:12 AM
Author: ma re
Another vote for 4557 - in terms of cutting they''re the same, in terms of size they''re pretty close too, so a deeper color of that one is the only thing making a real difference (and it saves you a few bucks too).

Ditto! I definitely like this one better. The prices on both are certainly reasonable, IMO.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
thanks MaRe and Icekid- I am convinced, 4557 it is. Just have to check how much a simple setting in either silver or white gold from Wink will cost, and get on to my Mom (she s a great Mom) and let her know my hearts desires. When I get this and the James Meyer I will try a photo shoot. It did nt work last time, Pricescope kept on telling me my file was too large. I will have to do some reading on how to make my files smaller....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 4557 better as well, but in this case, I think 90% of the cost of the stone is probably due to RH''s cutting. The color is not deep, so the aqua is probably inexpensive in the rough. Some people like lighter toned aqua though, and his cutting will give it a great deal of sparkle factor. Just something to point out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for 4557. At least the concave cutting is different from a vast majority of the other concave faceting - see how the pattern is different from the usual all lines radiating out? There is a flower petal appearance.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
So, Richard Homer says that he will give me a further 10% off if I get it set by Wink (nice of him!!!). I got on to Wink, and they quoted me $280 for a plain wg solitaire setting. Is there some aesthetic reason why I should prefer wg over sterling silver? Also, is 280 a good price?
As always thanks for your advice- I feel like I am learning so much here, and its learning about things to make my world a little prettier!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
I almost bought the second stone posted, but went with Gary at finewatergems.com
I had a problem at first imagining other stones as nice as Richards because his pictures are so perfect. Then I got a square cushion aqua and was stuned and didn''t pay anything near what I would have paid for one of these.

Richard is a nice guy and very fun to work with. Make sure you are aware of tilt windows! You will see them in such a light stone with a low RI.

280 is a great price for that setting. I just paid 270 for more fiances ering. Considering that he is setting a gemstone and has to be extra careful thats a great deal!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 4:49:24 PM
Author: mousey
So, Richard Homer says that he will give me a further 10% off if I get it set by Wink (nice of him!!!). I got on to Wink, and they quoted me $280 for a plain wg solitaire setting. Is there some aesthetic reason why I should prefer wg over sterling silver? Also, is 280 a good price?

As always thanks for your advice- I feel like I am learning so much here, and its learning about things to make my world a little prettier!

That is a great price. Not much more than a WG setting from an etsy vendor (I know cause I just priced one out for my aqua).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 4:49:24 PM
Author: mousey
I love what you are saying here about making your world a little prettier! This ring will certainly do that.
2.gif

Sounds like you have a great plan here. I agree that the concave pattern for 4557 looks very interesting and is a great choice. Looking forward to seeing your nice little project turns out. It should be so pretty.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WG does not tarnish (turn blackish from oxidization) compared to silver. It is also a harder or less malleable metal so it should hold up better over time.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
So the stone and setting (wg tiffany four prong) has been paid for. Thanks so much everyone. Once again, you ve all been brilliant fantastic! This is the first present my Mom has allowed me to pick myself. She usually gets me pajammas and perfume, I am soooo looking forward to my bday now!!!!
And thanks flygirl for recommending Wink. I also think the quote is very reasonable

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you''ve made a good choice. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results