shape
carat
color
clarity

Rich Sherwood and others! Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts.

I might have more information about this diamond:

****3diamond stone with 1/4 ct stones on the sides & set in platinum ring.

1.68 ct round brilliant
color I
SI2
clas 1b "ideal" cut
polish & symmetry are good
dimentions 7.64 X 7.58 X 4.76 mm
total debth 62.5
table 54.3
gia cert
inert to uv
slightly thin faceted girdle
closed cutlet
girdle to crown angle 35.7 degrees
girdle to cutlet angle 40.9 degrees
girdle to top of table length? 16.3%
girle to bottom cutlet length? 43.1%
offering price 8450.00>>>>any other thoughs. thanks again!

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know what 3.8 ggg vg means????

also, Does this diamond seem way to deep? or table way to thin?? is this a well cut diamond. I realize it classed at a 1b?
sorry if I sound novice, But I AM!!

thanks!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Novice... The stone looks good, but not exceptional... As you suggested, the cut is a bit deep... This means that you're paying for something you can't see... The table is ok, though. Is the SI 2 visible to the naked eye? Is I color white enough for you?
I strpngly suggest you to look at a few stones just under the magic weight of 1.50ct: you'll save a little money and most probably get a stone with better grades... I did a little research and I found these (just as a comparison)

1.35 I - VS 2 H+A: B
http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12396236/index.htm

1.31 I - VS 1 H+A
http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=507&Product_Subcategory_ID=3&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

1.52 I - VS 2 H+A
http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=37&Product_Subcategory_ID=3&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

1.66 J - VVS 2 H+A
http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=38&Product_Subcategory_ID=3&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

1.53 or 1.58 I - SI 1 Super Ideals H+A at whiteflash.com at about $9600-9900 each... (the link is very long and I don't know how to cut it...)

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks ghandi!

Actually I was hoping for a G color. The clarity is eye clean. I couldnt see any marks with the naked eye.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.8 G G G VG on the HCA means that the stone *is estimated* by its proportions and dimensions you input to reflect back Good Fire, Good Brilliance and Good Scintillation. The spread is Very Good, spread is how the stone looks to your eye (larger or smaller than a 'typical' stone of that size would).

For comparison, many of the stones that people post about are closer to the 2.0 range, or some people even really try to get under 1.0. Anything under 2.0 is considered 'excellent' and comprises about the top 5% of the stones you'd be looking at for sale. 3.8 does not mean this stone is not good, but you may not be happy with a score of that amount.

For # comparison, if you were looking at one of the stones that Giangi posted, they may have scores similar to 1.2 TIC EX EX EX VG. Your stone was 3.8 G G G VG.

Personally I would not purchase a stone that only scored 'Good' on the HCA, as there are so many other stones out there to be had that AT LEAST have VG across the board if not EX. However, as you can also see from what Giangi has posted on other stones to consider, they are all going to be smaller than the 1.6c that you are looking at here. Considerably smaller, around .30c unless you want to go to a J color which it sounds like you do not.

You may wonder..well why does the HCA give this a score of 3.8 but the cut class is 1b which is still 'ideal'. Neither the cut classes nor the HCA are foolproof nor do they take into account this particular diamond and it's characteristics. The AGA cut chart makes no bones about promising that a stone that fits within a range will be a perfectly beautiful stone. It gives you a range of numbers that your stone could fit into and the chances are if you follow the chart, your stone is good, but nothing is foolproof and numbers are still numbers. Kind of like the AGS0 range. It's very broad and there are some AGS0 stones that score 4.0+ on the HCA. The HCA is the same as the AGA chart in my eyes. It takes your #'s and plugs them into a calculator which reads from a a database. Neither of these see the stone in person and make a decision. So take them both with a grain of salt and don't weigh too heavily on one or the other. The cut numbers may be 1b, but as the HCA says, the cut may not be the best. People have already told you that the pavilion is deep on this stone. The polish and symm are only 'good', in my eyes a true 'ideal' stone would have VG at least if not EX on the polish and symm.

So you may want to weigh the importance to you. Is an excellently cut stone with a slightly less deep pavilion, better light return, fire etc more important to you? Or is keeping the carat weight higher and getting a moderately cut stone fine? It comes down to your personal decision. Crunching all the numbers is confusing as well. But if you like the stone, have seen it in person and it feels good..the price is right. Make sure that the SI2 is 100% eye clean and you are set if that is your choice!
1.gif

Good luck.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Mara:

Thanks again for your reponse. It REALLY is a tough decision.

I would be very happy to drop down to say, 1.40 range, but it seems that they are harder to fine. I guess this is because they are near the breakpoint for the rap sheets.

The most important think to me is quality. But I know my girlfriend want 1.5 ct. so I dont think I should go much lower than 1.40. Im getting 2 1/4 side stones set in platinum. I have 9k to spend in all, so Its going to be a tough search ahead.

That actually stone was selling for 7k stand alone.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Look at this stone... Sounds nice...
1547649 1.56 G SI2 GIA $8,391 61.6 57 VG VG None 7.44x7.50x4.60

I found it at dirtcheapdiamonds.com...

PS See the attached copy of the report...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results