shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodolite Garnets or Blue Spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone tell me about them?
in particular, Asscher cut ones?

I''m trying to find either a relatively inexpensive blue spinel or rhodolite garnet to make a little project out of. I know nothing about either of them so if anyone could give me advice on what to look for that would be great!

For instance, what color is most desired in both?
I understand that they are both relatively "clean" stones?
Which do you recommend?

I''m not trying to find anything too big.. around a carat or less? I really just want an asscher to play with... possibly to make a pendant or ring. I think they are so pretty!

-Jaylex

ma re

Ideal_Rock
My recommendation would depend on what would better suit your project, what metal you prefer, what color combinations you like better, which shades of red and blue you like etc. For example, vast majority of inexpensive blue spinels are dark greyish-blue so if you like that color that's fine. But if you'd like something that looks closer to some nice lapis in color, you can pretty much rule it out (since that would cost mega bucks, as those are the most desirable ones). Rhodolites are burgundy red, and the best ones show this color of a rich red wine, with flashes of purple. The color should be quite deep, but not overly dark as to go black. Of course, asscher cuts are not readily available, so custom cutting is probably your only option. Therefore be sure to check how much that would cost you as to not end up surprised. Also remember that you can't really get the most out of the asscher if it's too small, so I wouldn't really go under a carat - you want to clearly see the steps. Small size doesen't do much for the color either, as the color (generally) gets more saturated as the stone gets larger, so you can't really expect a top color in a one carat rhodolite (but that doesen't mean that small ones can't be beautiful, especially if well cut).

Of the two, rhodolite would be my choice, but I'm biased as they're among my favorites.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any gemstone that is asscher cut will have to be custom cut. Rarely will you find any that are already cut as such. Asscher cutting is also very unforgiving to colour, so the right tone and saturation has to be considered. I find that lighter rough material seems to work best to highlight the step cut and its beautiful windmills. Therefore, rhodolite is out of the running for me. Unless you are able to find a light blue spinel, most blue spinels are too dark to be good candidates. Furthermore, the spinel’s natural rough shape is not suited for an asscher cut. Yes, the right material can be found but you have to be doubly patient. In short, neither gemstones are good candidates for asscher cuts. If you like tourmalines and spinels in asscher cuts, I’d suggest pink tourmaline or spinel instead. Perhaps a light violet or anything else light in tone.

In terms of most desired colour, a rich deep purple is the top colour in rhodolites, but never dark. Purity of hue and strong saturation (vivid eye popping colour) is also of importance. The same applies to blue spinels. Many are very dark and also very gray. A rich sapphire blue spinel is highly prized and expensive. In fact, a very fine quality blue spinel can easily pass off as a pretty blue sapphire. You should be able to find eye clean stones of both varieties.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue spinels have a lot of grey in them, and unless you like greyish blue stones, I would stay away. Some people like the grey though. Personally, I would stay away from asschers in both of these stones since it''s a deep cut, and both types of stone are prone to extinction. Only the more expensive stones have color that would suit an asscher, and you want an inexpensive stone.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of your advice..
The blue gray color of spinels is not a problem for me... I''m actually thinking of using Cobalt blue as one of my wedding colors so I was thinking of making a pendant to wear as my "something blue" for the day.

I''ve always been a rb person but recently I have been drooling over every asscher i''ve seen!

Ohh well. I guess i''ll have to either choose a different stone or cut... or fork out the extra cash.
But thank you so much for your help
1.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several cheap fun ones available on Ebay at the moment - just search asscher gemstone. I am awaiting delivery of my rhodolite one at the moment. BUT beware that it is likely these are treated and probably not the best cut or colour. If you just want them for fun then no worries. If it''s a serious project - I agree with the others - wait and save until you can cut a really decent one from one of the trusted vendors on this site.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
As far as I know, garnets aren''t treated. What''s your price range? Rhodolite garents can be very inexpensive, and still affordable if you get one with a precision cut. Without a precision cut, I am positive you can find one under $50.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the blue spinel. Though inexpensive, it''s still unusual and interesting with its steely blue color. Red garnets are much more everydayish with their tones of brownish or dipping-into-purple (which most rhodolite has) - and cheaper stones are often rather dark. You may, however, have difficulty finding an asscher cut blue spinel - much affordable spinel is sold native cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results