shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodolite Garnet how to price, rate? the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder how does one rate the stone? Thanks

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Look at as many as you possibly can both online and in real life. That way you will learn to recognise the fine material. Looking at online dealers websites will give you an idea of price ranges.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pandora: If only my eyes were as good as yours to pick up on the finest material.I can try? right? Thanks

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A good rhodolite, should be in the $50 to $150 per ct price range, depending on size, color and cut.
Look for a pleasing color that is not overly dark. Rhodolites, as will most garnets look best in incandescent light, and tend to get a bit muddy looking in florescent.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gene:I have seen one nicely set with diamonds around.It looks good to me? but I am not sure.Maybe I will have another look in different light.I suppose I can take it for independent appraisal before making final decision.?

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
For rhodolite, a fine color is a medium to medium-dark purplish-Red. Avoid inky, dark stones. They won't get any lighter
2.gif

Keep an eye out for the polish and proportions. If a stone is "windowed," meaning you can see straight through it, it is not cut well. A properly cut garnet should have internal reflections on all the facets when you look at it. A lot of native weight-cut stones have windowing problems, because the pavilions of the gems are very bulgy. The symmetry should be good, that is rounds should be circular, and ovals should be elliptical (not shaped like a jellybean.) The facets should meet up well, and not be crooked or misshapen. Sometimes cheaper garnets are not polished that well. The facets should be flat and even, without drag lines (wavy surface) or pits. Rhodolites are usually pretty clean, but sometimes they have a few silk needles or crystal inclusions in them. Try to avoid anything that has eye-visible inclusions.

Here is a good example of a "not so hot" rhodolite:

Oval rhodolite

Notice that the overall shape is not that even, there are some bulges on the outline. It's not a perfect oval. There is a window in the center of the gem, you can see right through it. It is also quite dark. It's a little hard to tell, but you can see drag lines on some of the facets which have light glare. The facets are not very even.

Here's a rhodolite which appears to be precision cut:

Oval rhodolite 2

The color is good, not too dark, and the facets and overall outline are even and symmetrical. The color of this stone is more red, but it varies from stone to stone. There's a range of colors that are considered rhodolite. As far as color is concerned, it kind of depends on your personal tastes, but certain colors may be priced differently depending on demand/rarity.

Hope this helps.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"Hope this helps."

-Tony R.
G.G. A.J.P, Faceter

Thanks Tony: it helps a lot.Its so very kind of you to post both so I can compare.Thanks a million for that.Its easier now that I clearly have it so nicely described with pics.Thanks a lot for that.

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
You''re welcome! Glad I could help.

It''s hard to know where to start without a basis for comparison... there certainly are vast differences in gemstones, even among the same species. You might try looking through the vendor list at the top of the forum, and browsing the various sites to see what you like. You can get an idea of what native vs. precision cut looks like, as there are links to both types of vendors.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Tony: I went to get a battery for my watch the other day and the Jewelers are closing down ( retiring after 30 years) so he showed me few pieces that he is selling.
I was not looking ( isn''t it often the case) ,but he got my attention.
I will go back and have another look.He is selling at discount prices, but unless one has an idea about the stones and pricing one is lost?
With your help I have better idea how to evaluate the stone.Thanks and yes I will search a bit more.

The stone that got my attention is Emerald cut rhodolite garnet 12mm by 16 mm in size.It is set with diamonds around.They don''t have carat weight on the garnet ? only dimensions as they bought it already set.Nice setting and the diamonds are small (.30 )he said SI and H.
The piece looked lovely to me , but I have to have another look at the garnet.
In any case he said if I wish I can have it appraised and he would take it back if I am not satisfied.He is very confident that the appraisal will be much higher in price .
Of course I would have to pay to have it appraised. Thanks again.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are really nice color rhodolites. These stones are not for sale, they are both owned by other Pricescope members.

614.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another one. Use these as an example for color. But remember you want to view the stone in a variety of light, as a rhodolite will change color quit a bit depending on the light source.

760.jpg

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Gene these are really nice looking.Thanks for posting.Every little bit really helps me a lot.Lovely stones.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 7:40:06 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
These are really nice color rhodolites. These stones are not for sale, they are both owned by other Pricescope members.
And for fun, that stone in real life in different lighting.
newring02.jpg

newring03.jpg

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
BabyBlue: this is gorgeous ring.Its a master piece.How long have you had it for?
Thanks for posting.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Babyblue - I love your ring.

Scarleta, rhodolites can be lovely and very nice stones. I hope you find something you like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results