shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodocrosite....ANY way to mount it in a ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve loved looking at rhodocrosite forever...

Is there any way at all it could mounted in a ring and be sufficiently protected??

Here''s one: 2.10cts, cut by Ben Kho, offered by Acstones....isn''t it just yummy?
18.gif

widget

acs.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Nice collector''s piece... Sorry, but that''s what it probably will be... usually Rhodochrosite is a stone that has white agate-like banding intermixed with the pink. It''s nicknamed "bacon strips" for that particular look, so I saw Rhodochrosite and thought hmmm bacon. Then I saw your stone, and I undestand why you want to mount it into a ring...

Well, it can''t be put into an ultrasonic, or ever steamed, but you can wash it with soapy water.

You may already know it''s hardness is 3.5 to 4.5, so I believe 5 is the lowest that can be set into necklaces and earring (usually Apatite is the lowest), but your beauty can get damaged if you try. It turns grey, brownish or black, and can even break into pieces under the torch of the jeweler. So no prongs near that bad boy...

If you can find a way to crazy glue it to a mounting, you may just have a new ring yet...
31.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can have it, but it would take a ton of care to take out of the house - much like opal, only worse. Perhaps there isn''t too much rhodo jewelry alltogether, but I have seen a couple of pendants and necklaces. Given the superb color, no wonder someone would go to some design length for it.

Spinel has the same color sometimes. Even Acstones took advantage in one posting (this one)

SP-4764B.jpg

Not that all spinel from the same locality will look like this, but I suspect that "East African" in this case means Morogorro... Much of this spinel is silky and because of this the pink colors really stand out and the resemblance is reinforced.

Multicolor has a couple of such spinels - not sure if any is quite as hot, but it may be the case. Faceters (and one more place I can''t recall right now) lists pink rough from the same place. If you wish, perhaps one of these could locate just the right piece.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bacon? Who said bacon?
9.gif

Massive rhodochrosite doesn''t have to look like bacon -- it all depends on the imagination of the cutter (see image).

As for putting crystalline rhodochrosite into a ring, two masochists are required: one to set it and one to wear it. It''s an absolutely gorgeous material but is much too fragile for jewelry use IMO. It''s also a carbonate so it must be kept away from all acids, even mild ones like vinegar, or it''ll fizz like an Alka-Seltzer. (A slight exaggeration but the polish will be ruined).
8.gif

Rhodo1b.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was very interested to see this old thread on Rhodocrosite, or as it''s marketed in Argentina, Inca Rose. My husband just came back from Argentina and he brought back this rhodocrosite necklace for me.

Richard M., it was interesting to see that you thought this stone was too fragile for jewelry. Apparently in Argentina [Buenos Aires in particular] it''s marketed as their local stone and there is tons of jewelry made out of it [no rings though!]. According to the paper that came with the necklace, they call it Inca Rose because amulets made of this stone were found in the Inca tombs. This particular stone came from the Santa Rita mine. It is more "salmony" in color and not as pink as the stones you showed. I guess I''ll have to be very careful cleaning it. Only mild soap and water for this baby. I don''t want any fizzies happening!

cmsincarose.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice pendant!

peace, movie zombie

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 7:26:18 PM
Author: movie zombie
nice pendant!

peace, movie zombie
Thanks, Movie Zombie!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/16/2005 7:18:02 PM
Author: Catmom

Richard M., it was interesting to see that you thought this stone was too fragile for jewelry. Apparently in Argentina [Buenos Aires in particular] it''s marketed as their local stone and there is tons of jewelry made out of it [no rings though!]. /QUOTE]

Read my post again and take note of the word "crystalline." Rhodochrosite a.k.a. ''Inca Rose,'' occurs in massive/amorphous form as veins and stalactites -- the type of stone in my image and the pendant you posted -- and rarely as beautiful pink/red crystals.

The Capillitas Mine in Catamarca Province, Argentina is the main source for the massive type. It''s used in beads and cut as cabochons for a wide range of jewelry applications, but it''s definitely on the soft side and can be easily damaged. It''s a carbonate so exposure to even mild acids like vinegar can ruin the polish.

The stone Widget posted is cut from a rhodochrosite crystal. They''ve been found primarily at the Sweet Home Mine in Colorado, U.S.A. (now considered ''mined out,'' I read this month). It''s much more delicate because of the sharp, thin edges created in faceting. Pushing metal prongs over the stone is possible but very risky. Wearing it even in a pendant which can swing out and smack against hard objects when the wearer leans over, would risk scratching or damaging the delicate facet junctions. I think earrings would be the safest option.

There are certainly no laws against setting crystalline rhodo in jewelry! I even found a site or two selling such jewelry in a quick search. I was just giving an opinion based on experience gained in 30+ years of cutting and setting gems.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 1:10:41 PM

Read my post again and take note of the word ''crystalline.'' Rhodochrosite a.k.a. ''Inca Rose,'' occurs in massive/amorphous form as veins and stalactites -- the type of stone in my image and the pendant you posted -- and rarely as beautiful pink/red crystals.

The Capillitas Mine in Catamarca Province, Argentina is the main source for the massive type. It''s used in beads and cut as cabochons for a wide range of jewelry applications, but it''s definitely on the soft side and can be easily damaged. It''s a carbonate so exposure to even mild acids like vinegar can ruin the polish.

There are certainly no laws against setting crystalline rhodo in jewelry! I even found a site or two selling such jewelry in a quick search. I was just giving an opinion based on experience gained in 30+ years of cutting and setting gems.
Sorry, Richard! Since I''m not familiar at all with Rhodocrosite, I did not pick up on the fact that there are two different types. I love the crystalline form that Widget posted. It''s too bad it is so fragile.

Also I certainly didn''t mean to imply that your opinion was faulty. I know that you have been in the business for a very long time. What i was trying to say was that even though the stone is so soft and not really advisable for jewelry, it is still mass marketed in Argentina. I just find that fact interesting. That is all.

Peace!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Catmom,

No offense taken or intended!
1.gif
Sometimes my writing tends to be far too intense but that''s not my mood.

In such brief posts it''s very hard to take into consideration everything that should be said about any given stone. I forgot to explain that the massive and crystalline forms of rhodo are both soft and delicate. It''s the style of cutting (faceting) that makes the crystalline type so fragile, especially in a ring. Some sellers also mount actual crystals in jewelry, exposing their sharp corners to potential damage. Cabochons aren''t quite as susceptible.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m really starting to like cabochons! they do seem to be more ''foregiving''. it does make sense that the facets would make a soft stone very vulnerable.

peace, movie zombie

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Richard! That makes sense that the faceting on an already fragile stone would make it more so. I''m glad to know that having it in a cabochon cut might help with longevity.

Movie Zombie, I''m really starting to like cabochons more, too. It''s a totally different look, but beautiful in itself.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 1:10:41 PM
Author: Richard M.

There are certainly no laws against setting crystalline rhodo in jewelry!
Sure that!
5.gif

RDcrystalsI.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
now that''s a fun piece! you never cease to amaze me, ana/valeria101~~~~!!!!

peace, movie zombie

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beautiful piece and a great find. But to be worn at the owner''s peril! Remember I wrote:

"Some sellers also mount actual crystals in jewelry, exposing their sharp corners to potential damage."

I can''t be certain but it looks to me as if the big front crystal''s termination on this piece has already been damaged but it may have happened at the mine. Confession time: I''m making a pendant that features opaque pink rhodo crystals from Capillitas. It''s been sitting a long while as I ponder how to give the crystals maximum protection.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 9:42:45 PM

Beautiful piece and a great find. But to be worn at the owner''s peril! Remember I wrote:

''Some sellers also mount actual crystals in jewelry, exposing their sharp corners to potential damage.''

I can''t be certain but it looks to me as if the big front crystal''s termination on this piece has already been damaged but it may have happened at the mine.

Yes. The cristals are chipped, but nothing horrible. I do not know when and how it happened, but this is a short nechlace - it is hard to imagine what could get to touch it except collars and scarfs (=hint for the question below). On the rough shapes, chips seem to belong where they are anyway.

Confession time: I''m making a pendant that features opaque pink rhodo crystals from Capillitas. It''s been sitting a long while as I ponder how to give the crystals maximum protection.

Would a short chain do it? Any chance to see these crystals and/or the finished piece?
2.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Ana, that piece is very unique! I love the unusual. I agree with you, I would love to see the finished piece that you are working on, Richard!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 8:39:37 AM
Author: valeria101
Date: 11/17/2005 9:42:45 PM

Would a short chain do it? Any chance to see these crystals and/or the finished piece?
2.gif

Ana and Michelle:

Frankly I hadn''t thought about that project for a couple of years until it came up on this thread. I''ve dug it out of the drawer where it''s been awaiting ''creative inspiration'' to see if anything''s developed in my subconscious.

I really like your idea of a short chain, Ana. That may be the missing ''link(s)'' (ummm...sorry). I''d been thinking along the lines of contrasting the crystalline material with a finished drop in the form of a ''bridge/tongue'' but that look''s a little dated now. Still, it might work with a little creative pizazz and some micro-pave.

I just tried to shoot a ''concept'' picture but, naturally, the battery''s dead in the camera I need. The quality of the crystalline druse is better than I remembered so I''ll move the project ahead in the production queue. I''ll shoot an image and post it ASAP and suggestions will be appreciated.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2005 11:37:10 PM

The quality of the crystalline druse is better than I remembered so I'll move the project ahead in the production queue.

Fine rhodochrosite druse !? That must be something very colorful
5.gif

I am only used to the desktop curio variety, and even that is quite beautiful.

Any chance the coulee gold and diamond frame in the picture above could be reinterpreted? Perhaps just a small portion as a large bale...

No idea how they did it, and exactly how outlandish the idea is. There are more of the kind, including the 'barnacle' like construction below:

AndrewGrima_drawing.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2005 12:14:38 AM
Author: valeria101

Fine rhodochrosite druse !? That must be something very colorful
I am only used to the desktop curio variety, and even that is quite beautiful.

I''m not sure what you mean by the "desktop curio variety" but this image shows (poorly) what I''m working with. I used a low-resolution camera so the crystals aren''t shown as sharp as they really are.

Before I set the piece aside I made a quick wax frame (shown) to be cast in yellow gold with the idea of protecting the piece. The original idea was to contrast the druse with the drop(or a similar one cut to order -- I don''t like the shape or color of this one) shown in the next post. There would be embellishments, of course, maybe some faceted stones in contrasting or complementary colors or maybe even diamond pave.

Any chance the coulee gold and diamond frame in the picture above could be reinterpreted? Perhaps just a small portion as a large bale... No idea how they did it, and exactly how outlandish the idea is. There are more of the kind, including the ''barnacle'' like construction below:

Yes, the frame and diamonds in your piece set off some ideas. I''m not so sure the "barnacle" texture would work here and I have no idea how it''s done anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!
36.gif
36.gif

rdruse2.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry, forgot to resize the first image. This was the original concept but I don''t like it very well now. Time to re-think it, suggestions appreciated. I won''t have access to a computer for a few days so if I don''t respond to any posts that''s the reason.

rdruse1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The gold ruffle will look wonderful, IMO. The pieces below go for the same logic and none dissapoints... quite the opposite. To me, those in which the metal frame mimics the shape of the crystals (the pendant and Grima pin) are more appealing. Would it work to hold the piece of rhodocrisote between three gold cast ''crystals'' much like that pin did with the slice of quartz cluster?

If any accent faceted stones are used, green would make the perfect contrast. And a few matched green garnets might pull the task (these are too many and too much...)
GTS-00428-s.jpg

If things work well, there will be a drawing around the rhodo slice in your picures at the end of the day. How big is it?

RDSFII.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There might be some useful and more sensible choices THIS page of set Dyber carvings
5.gif
... perhaps the chain could be avoided, as some of those do.

RD23II.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way!
9.gif

if I didn''t know it is a piece of rock in the picture... that ''carnation'' could fool anyone
23.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2005 11:30:47 AM
Author: Pricescope
Hehe, Val
Nature v architecture
Carnation.jpg
23.gif
what imagination!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Wow! I love that "carnation ". Fantastic!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Oh, thanks girls, we need to realize however that 3D may look different.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2005 6:33:22 PM
Author: Pricescope
Oh, thanks girls, we need to realize however that 3D may look different.

Anyway, the flowe picture is stryking!

3D? Who cares... Escher would be proud!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a quite different look for the gem in a darker, albeit loupe clean, shield cut of 3.5ct.

Not the more desirable pink, but still a perhaps more common cinnamon color.

RC00351_a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results