shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plating white gold after a stone has been set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, not sure who can answer this, but my jeweler charges around $60 to re-rhodium plate a white gold ring after they set a stone, which is another $30 to $40 on top of that. Therefore, any time I want to set a stone in white gold, it costs me around $100 to $110. Do you think it''s really necessary to re-rhodium the white gold after a stone has been set? I have two white gold settings at the jewelers right now awaiting setting of stones. I told them not to re-rhodium and asked to look at the pieces before doing so since this would be an extra $120.

Seondly, over time the rhodium eventually wears away no matter what, and gives the settings an antique finish. This has never bothered me, but it just seems like a terribly expensive amount of $$ to set a stone in white gold. They actually charge their other clients more to do this, and I get a discount because of the company I work for, however, I''m still a bit taken aback at the prices. I continue to go to them because they do an excellent job and I trust their workmanship. I live in a huge metropolitan area as well.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my ring re-rhodiumed and my jeweler did it for free. Normally I think it costs $30-$40, though.

The question that I''m seeing is this: does a new white gold ring need to be rhodium plated after the stone is put in - like does setting the stone cause the metal to revert? I don''t see why it would! If it does, this should be included in the setting fee. I''ve had my prongs fixed before, my mom had a stone put in a setting, and no one ever mentioned re-plating the ring as part of that...so I don''t think this is necessary.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2008 10:40:45 PM
Author: Elmorton

I''ve had my ring re-rhodiumed and my jeweler did it for free. Normally I think it costs $30-$40, though.

The question that I''m seeing is this: does a new white gold ring need to be rhodium plated after the stone is put in - like does setting the stone cause the metal to revert? I don''t see why it would! If it does, this should be included in the setting fee. I''ve had my prongs fixed before, my mom had a stone put in a setting, and no one ever mentioned re-plating the ring as part of that...so I don''t think this is necessary.
According to my jeweler, heating the metal in order to set the stone makes it lose it''s plating, so it needs to be re-rhodium plated.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I simply want to have a ring re-rhodiumed my jeweler charges $40. If I am having a stone set or a ring worked on for any reason it is part of the cost and not added on as an extra charge if it is needed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the ring has never been plated then setting the stone and not plating it is an option.
If it has been plated before then you will get a 2 tone effect that is rather nasty looking if you don''t replate as some of the ring will have it and some wont.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Bear in mind that there are stones sensitive to chemicals (acids) in the plating solution, so there are cases when plating can''t be done after the stone has been set.

As to the prices of plating, it obviously varies from one jeweler to another.

I still can''t believe palladium isn''t used more in jewellery since it doesen''t require all this plating hassle and it''s like quarter of the price of pure gold at the moment (if not fifth).

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2008 3:09:22 AM
Author: ma re
Bear in mind that there are stones sensitive to chemicals (acids) in the plating solution, so there are cases when plating can''t be done after the stone has been set.

As to the prices of plating, it obviously varies from one jeweler to another.
I still can''t believe palladium isn''t used more in jewellery since it doesen''t require all this plating hassle and it''s like quarter of the price of pure gold at the moment (if not fifth).

I believe the thing with palladium is that it is not a white metal like rhodium but a grey colored metal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had them once not replate another ring of mine, and to tell you the truth, I didn't really notice a substantial difference. It still looked like white gold afterwards. I think it is sometimes a way to get more $$$ out of you than is necessary. We'll we'll see when I get the stones back. I just think it's ridiculous to charge so much to replate a stone, and that's ON TOP of the setting fee. I did have a ring that I purchased from this jeweler, and they replate that one for free.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, picked up the one ring without the replating. Did not notice a single difference. At least I saved myself $60. The ring is white and bright and gorgeous.

Itgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Before I became allergic to gold...my jeweler that I actually purchased the ring from it was free....and if I wen to the jeweler that some of my other jewelry came from it was $45.00

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They just bezel set a stone in white gold for me. The jeweler calls me to tell me that the bezel looks yellow, and may need to be rhodium plated. Therefore, I go there to see something that might look two tone, and the bezel still looks white gold to me. (?????????). It''s the Afghan mint tourmaline in my gallery picture "finger of tourmalines." The bottom stone in my gallery picture, the rubellite, also didn''t need re-rhodium plating.

I don''t get it, oh well, at least I saved $120.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results