shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plating question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
How long does the process take? I have a white gold ring that needs to be rhodium plated. Once it is dipped (or however they do it) can you wear it right away or does it need to dry or sit for a while? The jeweler I frequent can do it in their shop, but I would just like to know in advance how long it takes - a few mintues, a few hours or a few days???

Thanks in advance!

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If it's solid white then you dip it and it basically takes just a few mins, then it's rinsed with water and steamed and done.

If it's two tone it takes more time, they have to use a rhodium pen and touch it up by hand, there are other ways as well.

Also, usually you don't just rhodium plate jewelry. You usually want to give it a gentle buff/polish and put it in the ultrasonic for a while before applying the rhodium. So if you do the whole thing like that, depending on how complicated it is to polish and assuming 5 mins in the ultrasonic, I'd say no more then 30 mins tops.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Yosef! That''s exactly what I wanted to hear! I was hoping I wouldn''t have to leave the ring for days or weeks.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
hopefully they''re not busy, but the best goldsmiths usually are.... it''s not like getting your hair done, your ring may have to wait it''s turn unless they take appointments :)

anyhow glad i could help :)

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
sorry to threadjack but I too was curious about rhodium plating, If you have pave or shared prong how does someone rhodium plate the ring? Obviously, they can''t dip it, or is it done that way?

thanks

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I submit a motion to discontinue all usage of rhodium dip on Pricescope. It is a metal electroplate, so it is put into a solution, not a container of melted rhodium metal.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Ya sorry she''s right :) You put it in the rhodium solution and then hook up your electrodes and crank up the juice and then she''s plated :) The rhodium solution is usually heated up though before plating but not too much.

If you have pave or shared prong, or bezel or whatever, if it''s all white it''s the same thing. the solution will penetrate every nook and cranny to plate the whole thing.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the usual cost for rhodium plating?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 2:17:27 AM
Author: Kim N
What is the usual cost for rhodium plating?
Around $50, but it varies some.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results