shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium plating question!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
How do jewelers re-plate white gold rings that are covered in diamonds? I doubt they take all the diamonds out?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Nope. The rhodium only sticks to the metal.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
So they dip the ring in Rhodium with all the diamonds in it??? wow...

CamoKitty

Rough_Rock
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that they put the ring in a solution and run an electric current through it to attach the rhodium to the gold? Maybe someone more knowledgable can answer this better. :)

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yup.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
it still kinda scares me hahaha!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:49:45 PM
Author: CamoKitty
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that they put the ring in a solution and run an electric current through it to attach the rhodium to the gold? Maybe someone more knowledgable can answer this better. :)
Yes. Here is an article.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always wondered about this too, Daisi2112

What is the average cost for rhodium re-plating? I had a jewelry store at the mall quote me ~$30, which seemed pretty reasonable.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:54:09 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I've always wondered about this too, Daisi2112

What is the average cost for rhodium re-plating? I had a jewelry store at the mall quote me ~$30, which seemed pretty reasonable.

When I was at a local jewelry store someone came in wanting a fresh coat of rhodium plating, and the sales guy said $30... so I think that's about right.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think different jewelers replate differently. My local jeweler will just replate over the existing finish "while-you-wait", using the electric current method described by others. I just had my e-ring at Quest where they did a complete replating: completely removed any existing rhodium (included soaking in a neutralizing solution for at least an hour), repolished entire ring, and replated with rhodium. Cost for this alone was around $130. Having experience both types of processes, I can tell you that the job Quest did was far superior, but the other method wasn''t used on my e-ring, so I wasn''t as picky, and was satisfied with how it looked. $30 for that type of process sounds reasonable; I think that''s what my local jeweler would normally charge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results