shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating Process (EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I have to take my 14k white gold, half-eternity ring in tomorrow to be rhodium plated. I am taking it to the place I orginally got it, which is a small, privately-owned jewelry store that does mostly custom work. Anyways, I talked to the lady that works there today and she said to come in tomorrow sometime and she can just rhodium plate it while I wait. Does this seem right? I thought rhodium plating was a more complicated process that would take longer than just 15 or 20 minutes. Will you please tell me if this seems accurate....and if you have time, could you tell me how rhodium plating is done? Thanks so much!
emteeth.gif

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Rock Doc, are you there? Sorry, my computer froze, I typed out a new post, and then I saw that my original thread posted (but without my dilemma).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Like silver plating, chrome plating, etc., rhodium plating is done in a bath using positive and negative electrical current. They will steam clean your ring and hang it on a hook. It goes into a solution of rhodium. The ring will be electrically charged one way, the solution the other and the rhodium molecules will adhere to the gold and plate the piece. In a short time this can be done, and the ring can be cleaned and polished and back in your hands. Hope this helps ease your fears.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much JohnQuixote! I feel much better now.
emteeth.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The actual Rhodium plating part of the process takes about 3 minutes. It is the polishing that has to be done first, steaming it so all the polish residue if off and resteaming it or possibly rhodium plating it a second time that might add more time to the process, but even if done twice, it should only take about 30 minutes.

However, if your ring has a lot of scratches or minor percussion marks the polishing can take a little longer.

John explained the process well.

Rockdoc

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Singer...I have to get my rings rhodium-plated as well and I also bring them back to the jeweler who made my rings. They can usually get it done for me in about 20 minutes as well...

Rest assured....

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I feel fine now taking it in tomorrow. I knew I just had to talk to a few professionasl on PS to assuage my worries. Everyone on pricescope is wonderful. Wow! I post a question and I have three great replies back within 30 minutes. Thanks again!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results