shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating (and re-plating) - Thanks for the Lucida help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Romeo

Rough_Rock
First of all I would like to thank everyone for the help with the Lucida diamond questions I had (Leonid, oldminer and Cut Nut):wavey:. I am leaning towards a 1.03 ct, D, VVS2, 'round' cut diamond in a white gold setting. The Lucida was nice, but this was georgeous. The diamond is a solitare necklace setting and will be an "engagement necklace":bigsmile:. My sig. other does not like wearing rings.

My question is on rhodium plating. As I understand, the rhodium will wear (more on rings, and to a lesser extent, the necklace). When (or if) I need to re-plate the necklace and/or setting, does the diamond have to be removed from the setting to do this? My limited knowledge of plating is around electro-plating, where conductive materials are plated by creating an anode and cathode circuit inside a "bath of the plating ions". Is the rhodium plating electro-plated? (In this case, since diamonds are good insulators, I would expect it would not, and would only have to be cleaned from the bath solution).

Thanks,

Romeo

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
The whole procedure of re-plating takes a few minutes so I doubt that jeweler removes the diamond. Noble metals have very negative FREE potential in the solution causing reduction of Rd on the surface from an electrolyte.

Romeo

Rough_Rock
Thanks. That makes things less worry-some.:wavey:

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
A jeweler told me that white gold will turn, more or less, depending on the amount of acid in the person's skin who is wearing the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results