shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium flashing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
My RHR is white gold and I''ve been wearing it daily for a few years now. I work with my hands in and out of saltwater, I''m generally clumsy and I sleep and shower in my jewelry. So... the poor ring is put through quite a bit of abuse.

Needless to say, it''s looking a little dingy. The diamonds look great and nothing''s loose, but on the bottom side (it''s a 1/2 eternity [oxymoron?] band) it''s starting to look a little yellowish. I did have it sent out to be polished twice and I clean it everyday with tarn-x or dawn with a toothbrush.

My question is... can I have it rhodium plated? How much would it cost me to have this done on a 4.75 size ring and are there any real drawbacks to doing it? Or I could just send it out to be polished again, but would that make the yellow-look worse?

I''ve seen people on here who have done rhodium replating on things (a girl who bought huggies in yellow gold but had them plated to white, comes to mind) like earrings and necklaces, but rings? I''m also wondering if it''s common for it to be covered in the warranty (lifetime) since that paperwork is not in my house. (
38.gif
)

Any help anyone can offer is great. You guys are just so helpful, I love you all
30.gif
!

Oh, eyecandy too!!

neberingtable1.JPG

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
White gold should be rhodium plated every once in a while to keep its brand new look. Then again, some people like that warm color that remains when the rhodium wears off. Is tarn-x a powder? It could be abrasive, and gold doesn't tarnish so you don't really need to use it. Dawn works good though. I wear a size 5, and it would have been $30 to get my ring plated in rhodium. Whether or not rhodium plating is covered in a store warranty depends. My jeweler does it free of charge for me, but i know he doesn't extend the service free to everyone who buys there. Also, keep in mind that everytime you polish a gold ring, a little of the gold wears off. It's not a huge amount or anything, but if you are polishing your ring really frequently, it's something to consider. Good luck with your ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not use anything abrasive or any cleaner on the metal other than dish washing liquid. For the yellowing look, a rhodium plating will take care of it. The diamonds do not need to be unmounted and will not be affected by the plating process. It is very quick (you'll get your ring back the next day) and usually costs less than $50. There is no need to keep polishing the ring as gold does not tarnish. Also, polishing removes microscopic amounts of the metal, so I would not do it too often. It also probably removes your rhodium plating, making the yellow tint show through more.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2007 7:53:34 AM
Author: Chrono
I would not use anything abrasive or any cleaner on the metal other than dish washing liquid. For the yellowing look, a rhodium plating will take care of it. The diamonds do not need to be unmounted and will not be affected by the plating process. It is very quick (you''ll get your ring back the next day) and usually costs less than $50. There is no need to keep polishing the ring as gold does not tarnish. Also, polishing removes microscopic amounts of the metal, so I would not do it too often. It also probably removes your rhodium plating, making the yellow tint show through more.
i agree with chrono completely. ease up on the polishing and have the ring plated. (and ease up on the polishing!)
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
It cost me about $20 to have my ring replated and they did it while I waited. It should cover the yellow right up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results