shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhino''s Review: The Assessment of Fire Video

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok ... I''m still no Steven Spielberg
37.gif
but here is some footage I had put together on the subject of fire and some of the best environments in which to observe it and what you can expect to see. I really had a gas putting it together and if it helps even one person gain a better understanding of the subject it was worth it all to me. During the video I note that I comment a bit on the comparisons between the view I''m seeing and the GIA DiamonDock, perhaps because while I was shooting this there were seemingly alot of debates going on about the subject. Fire happens to be one of my favorite view and I even got 2 different shots in side Tower Record Mara
31.gif
which I hope you enjoy.

Here''s the link. It''s a pretty large file so broadband connect is the best of course. It''s in Windows Media format.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/AssessmentofFire.wmv

If ya''ll have any questions/comments I''m open to your suggestions and will do my best to answer any questions if any. Your feedback is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Very enjoyable Jon, thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ack its huge and ya host isnt the fastest.... comments in about an hour........

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Great video!
4.gif

Definitely worth the wait (just about 5 minutes to download).

I loved seeing that fire!
36.gif

Thanks!

David0722

Rough_Rock
Nice work Jonathan! I''ve been anticipating that segment on Tower Records, very interesting stuff. I didn''t have any trouble streaming the video immediately on my cable modem. One question though, did you intentionally omit mention of the specs of the two diamonds - all I heard you mention was the cut.

DaniGirl

Rough_Rock
Hi Jon, it''s great to see you again & oh how I miss that accent. Very interesting and enjoyable video, thank you for sharing! I especially enjoyed the background music in the Tower Records scene. But seriously, thanks for taking the time to educate the public. I am honored to have met you and to have found this site.
face23.gif

-Danielle

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl vid
You need to take the sunlight segment and make it into a small vid for explaining fire and brightness.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, if I ever get my diamond set, I hope I don''t run into anything in stores as I walk around staring at my diamond!!!

Great video, Jon! Truly, I have never seen anything like that! I never knew what I was missing in my old diamond! Plus, now I totally understand why all the diamonds in Tiffany''s looked dark. You simply couldn''t tell a thing about color in that lighting. I''d also like to know the specs on those two diamonds just out of curiosity.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Scott, SuzyQZ

Thank you kindly for the feedback. It means alot to me.

Hi Dave0722,

Good question! I''ve attached the specs in this email and will follow up with Gem Advisor files.

Hi Danielle!
35.gif

Good to see you on board!!! It was a great pleasure and honor to be able to serve you and Josh recently.
emsmile.gif
Hrm... and I thought I didn''t have an accent.
emotion-16.gif

Strmy

Excellent idea for a quick compact example of all 3 optical phenomena actually. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi DS!
35.gif

Good points. Yanno ... color is often an issue that is confused in the spot lighting environment as well. The segment taken in the jewelry store lighting is a perfect example because steep/deep diamonds take on that lighter appearance which is often confused for a higher color.

Here are the specs on each of the stones in that vid. The H&A ideal cut is akin to what has been known as a GOG classic and is one which falls in the zenith of GIA/AGS ideals.

Kindest regards,

videofirecomparison.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are gem advisor files. This is the non Ex/Ideal with the weaker optics. Heh... this stone is a dog.
emdog.gif
Not as bad as Wink''s example cz though.
3.gif

Attachments

• br101isi2giagood.gem
    37.6 KB · Views: 57

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here one of our sig stones exactly like in this video.

For those who don''t have the free gem advisor software here''s a link to the free download if they''d like to view the Gem Advisor files. In those files you can see the differences between brightness (office light view), fire (disco light view), IdealScope and ASET views amongst others which are very helpful.

https://www.pricescope.com/MSU/gadviser.asp

Best regards,

Attachments

• br102gogclassic.gem
    34.9 KB · Views: 52

mybluedane

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that video. VERY informative and the music in Tower Records was nice background noise.
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Awesome video, Jon!!! Thanks!
36.gif

BTW, (you know I am a spec nut!
2.gif
) -- what are the specs (size, color, clarity) of the two stones featured?

THANKS!

Lynn

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Lynn,

Look up about 3 posts up....he gave them to us!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2006 7:30:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hi, Lynn,

I saw those - thanks! But unless I am missing something, he didn''t mention the size, color and clarity of the stones anywhere, did he?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2006 11:12:05 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 8/5/2006 7:30:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hi, Lynn,

I saw those - thanks! But unless I am missing something, he didn''t mention the size, color and clarity of the stones anywhere, did he?
So sorry Lynn! I was thinking measurement specs! It looks like one is right at 1 ct. and the other is about .90 or just under. But I don''t recall the video telling us the other details.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the information. I just asked this exact question in a post: why did the ideal cut diamond I was shown in the jewelers look dark compared to a non-ideal they were showing me. strmrdr kindly pointed me in the direction of this video. Brilliant!

a

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Great video.

By the way, my husband grew up in Great Neck and sounds just like your accent. My family LOVES to tease him about his New York accent :)

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rhino, loved the video! I could stare at that fire all day
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry Lynn,

Ok... found the links to the 2 stones. They were the same two I used in the brightness video. Here are direct links to the actual 2 stones.

The common. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2086

The H&A in this example. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1814/

Do you think it would be a good idea, perhaps at the beginning of the video to present this information on each stone before proceeding with the observations? Ie. Carat weight, clarity, color and some of the details on cut that seperate the 2 stones? I can always do a re-edit for the future. I greatly appreciate the input ya''ll.

Kind regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Angeline,

Glad this helped. I''ve seen this question pop on the forum from time to time and thought it would be good to address. Sometimes these phenomena are hard to express or put into words.
In simpler terms, the non-ideal is allowing backlighting into the stone (due to its leakage) and making the stone have that lighter appearance while ideal cuts prevent backlighting and generally only reflect what''s in front of them. So in spot lighting its kind of a trade off in a sense. Ie... leaky diamonds will take on a lighter appearance, so while excellently cut diamonds will have a darker body color in that lighting the flashes of light will be more intense and happening at a greater frequency.

As diamondseeker noted, many confuse the color issue in this lighting as well. Once the two stones are brought into more common environments that depict brightness the K color H&A I used in this video causes the tables to turn and the color actually appears better than the non-ideal in the face up view as there are notably more reflections of white light from within the stone.
23.gif
Those reflections of white light do a great job of masking color.

Hi assherisme

Thanks! My inlaws always loved to get on me about mine too when I''d visit them down in Florida.
26.gif
They just love how I say "cawfee".
9.gif

Hey sunkist!

Glad you liked it. Actually editing that vid is motivating me to get a mens solitaire back on my hand. I always liked staring into it when in sunlight, although blinding.
10.gif

Is there anything you guys would change/add/edit about this for future reference? You think it''d be a good ideal to go over the specs before the vid? Sarin, IdealScope, Bscope, Isee2 and all that stuff? I was trying to keep it simple but if ya''ll think that''d be a good precursor I''ll make sure to do that on next edit.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Warm regards,

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t seem to open to file, but does it refer to the lighting in tower records being good?

Because whenever we go there, all of our jewelry looks so fabulous!!!! I guess like home depot. I hear their lighting looks great too...

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I just noticed that the ideal cut stone you used was a K! Yes, I would have loved to have known this spec at the start of the video because ever since I got my own K stone, I''m in love with them
9.gif
Or maybe you could spring that on them at the very end of the video once they''ve seen how gorgeous it is, because it seems like people have such a negative stigma about K stones. This is just another wonderful example of how ideal cut can mask and enhance a K color stone!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I laughed out loud when you said grab a cup of java and watch. I figured you were trying to avoid cawwwffeeee. My brother loves to have my husband say The dog was in the car drinking coffee. :)

I think his accent is cute :)

Anyway, great job on that video. It was fun to watch. When we go into town I''ll have to stop by your store!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan,

Thanks so much for the video. It''s amazing the dirrerence between the two stones. Since watchng it, I had to go to your website and check out your other videos. All I''ve seen so far have been great. BUT, I haven''t seen one comparing Asschers. Are you planning on making one in the near future? It would sure help for when we pick out my stone.

ellchris

Rough_Rock
wow that''s my stone lol. i remember emailing tim and having him send me a bunch of photos. that evening (think it was back in june or end of may) i purchased it..
it really is beautiful. had it set into a bezel pendant.
by the way, it was sunkists pictures that inspired me to go with a k. thank you!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2006 11:36:20 AM
Author: Rhino
Sorry Lynn,

Ok... found the links to the 2 stones. They were the same two I used in the brightness video. Here are direct links to the actual 2 stones.

The common. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2086

The H&A in this example. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1814/

Do you think it would be a good idea, perhaps at the beginning of the video to present this information on each stone before proceeding with the observations? Ie. Carat weight, clarity, color and some of the details on cut that seperate the 2 stones? I can always do a re-edit for the future. I greatly appreciate the input ya''ll.

Kind regards,
Jon,

Thanks for the links. WOW, what an AWESOME testimony to "lower colored" stones, with that KILLER K featured in the starring role!!! LOVE it!

And personally, although I do see the appeal of presenting that information at the end of the video, I think presenting it at the beginning would be the most helpful. But that''s just my humble 2 cents.

Anyway, may I say it again -- GREAT JOB and AWESOME VIDEO! That video can do more diamond education than 10,000 words OR 1,000 regular photos. THANK YOU!

Lynn (who says, "Pass the popcorn -- I''m watching it again!"
1.gif
)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2006 7:06:14 PM
Author: ellchris
wow that''s my stone lol. i remember emailing tim and having him send me a bunch of photos. that evening (think it was back in june or end of may) i purchased it..
it really is beautiful. had it set into a bezel pendant.
by the way, it was sunkists pictures that inspired me to go with a k. thank you!
Wow, that''s really neat to have your stone be the star of the video!!! Now where are our pendant pictures on Show Me the Ring?!!

Lynn, you know, I agree with you in one way about giving the spec info up front, but I think it would also be a neat surprise to wait and say that the most brilliant stone was a K at the end.

David0722

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/6/2006 1:04:21 PM
Author: asscherisme
I have to say I laughed out loud when you said grab a cup of java and watch. I figured you were trying to avoid cawwwffeeee. My brother loves to have my husband say The dog was in the car drinking coffee. :)

I think his accent is cute :)
33.gif
Jonathan has an accent?
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loved the video Jon, very well done. I think you did a great job showing the stones in all different lighting conditions. Oh and you do have an accent, but hey so do I. Philly accents are just as noticeable. Instead of Java, want some wadder?? As in water... Hehe

Fun factoid the song playing in the background of Tower Records was written by one of my daughter's best friend's dad. I never knew his music until the Austin Powers movie. He is such a cool guy. They are going to college together in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results