shape
carat
color
clarity

rhino(and other experts), need advise -crown ht 13.9...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duck

Rough_Rock

I may very well get this diamond:

GIA 1.55 RB E VS2 ideal, H & A

table 57
crown ht 13.9
crown angle 34.6
pavillion depth 43.2
pavillion angle 40.9
girdle thickness 1.2-2.1, thin to medium
total depth 61.1
culet 0.4
symmetry excellent
polish excellent
no flor
asking price $15 468 us

had it appraised by well know gemologist charles carmona in LA who confirmed it.

questions:
1.crown ht ok?(charles said it wouldnt effect the preformance)
2.gonna see it on wed - what additional info do i need (if any) and when inspecting it, what should i pay attention to(i know this kinda sounds like a dumb question, but really)?
3. confused about lustre: experts have told me its a bogus; if a dimond is great in all 4 Cs, it should look great -this makes sense to me - yet others talk about the "skin" of the dimond and the "quality of material" -dont get it

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2005 2:36:39 PM
Author:duck

questions:
1.crown ht OK?(Charles said it wouldn''t effect the performance)

Affect performance... how?
Try this. I can''t see anything bad. Perhaps every expert has their own taste - it comes with looking into and thinking too much about these things. There is a difference though about personal preference and some objective quality jump. Up to you to judge which it is in this case.

My 2c

2.gonna see it on wed - what additional info do i need (if any) and when inspecting it, what should i pay attention to(i know this kinda sounds like a dumb question, but really)?

Not sure either. Maybe THIS ?
It would be useful to see how other grades look, but this... may not be feasible in the appraiser''s shop.

3. confused about lustre: experts have told me its a bogus; if a diamond is great in all 4 Cs, it should look great -this makes sense to me - yet others talk about the ''skin'' of the diamond and the ''quality of material'' -don''t get it

Depends on what everyone has to sell. There may be some ''truth'' in either view. Just ask what difference does it make. If anything - it can only be esoterically subtle. I''ve heard the story often. In the old literature about diamonds and diamond grades, this ''water'' or ''crystal'' property was the prevailing way to describe quality. The 4C appeared allot later. IMO, I don''t think anything of the meaning of the old terminology got lost. I tend to like the old slightly better because it gives on word for the different characteristics that can only be understood but never ''seen'' separately. (i.e. one can talk about color without mentioning clarity, but never see it independently, etc.)
This is about all that comes to mind in a minute.

The diamond sounds impressive alright. The description rises very high expectations - it should be quite a charmer with everything going for it and every ''spec'' allot higher than ''necessary'' to impress. I hope you will find it impressive in person as well.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Duck,

Sorry, not an expert, but I think it''s likely to be lovely, scoring well on the HCA, and the comprables were reviewed favorably for you in the other thread.

The only reason I can think of for your concern about the crown height is Dave''s cut charts, showing the crown height just off for 1A, and even then, for interpreting the charts at his web site, you can read this detail:

"1A grade:
All characteristics are best when 1A, but may include a single 1B characteristic. You pay a premium for this cut and you should insist on getting exactly what you are paying for."

Best wishes,

duck

Rough_Rock
thanks valeria101 and Regular guy. I really appreciate youre thoughts...i can use all the input i can get when making such a big decision!

Happy Holidays!

Pari

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Duck!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Everything looking good so far according to what you''ve posted. The only additional I would want to know is if the girdle is painted or dug out (upper girdle angles) as that will impact the diamond appearance and also lower girdle facet length and to a lesser degree stars. This information is not the easiest to attain but before I drop the bucks it is info that is pertinent to me in purchsaing decisions. You can learn this info from some of the good qualified appraisers featured on this forum. Always good to ask first of course. Other than that the numbers are looking sweet. Any pics?

Alot of stones we review with the angle combinations you list generally have crown heights in the neighborhood of around 15% so my curiousity is aroused with the 13.9% although it doesn''t raise any obvious red flags with me. Just makes me curious why it''s not closer to the 15% zone. The girdle cutting *may* have something to do with this but without a physical inspection it''s impossible for me to say for sure.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Jonathan

duck

Rough_Rock
thanks for youre quick response!

so an appraiser would be able to determine upper girdle angles and lower girdle facet length?
and what range should these numbers be in? should the girdle be painted or dug out?

also, what is the significance of the smaller crown ht of 13.9, if any? and can you elaborate on how the girle cutting may have something to do with this ht and why this is good/bad?

basically, i do want a perfect stone. but my priority is to have superb brilliance fire and scintiallation with a visually beautiful rock. If this additional info is off, can it really make the dimond less of a preformer (i mean noticibly)??

Pari

P.S Happy Holidays back!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results