shape
carat
color
clarity

Reworking pearl strand

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Long story short - I have a pearl stand necklace that I want turned into various pendants and earrings. Does anyone have any vendor suggestions in who may be able to do this work for me?

More info: wore this strand for my wedding 9 years ago but I have never worn it again. I’d love to see the pearls be used in pieces that I can wear more regularly. I picture drop earrings with multiple pearls hanging on chains as well as some pendants.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious as to why you haven't worn the strand in all that time. But I'm a goofball and have worn pearls with my pj's. :lol: Is the strand too short / too long? Maybe pearls aren't your thing?

There are some online vendors who may help, but you might be able to do the work yourself, if you're crafty. What type of pearls are they? The price of gold is very high right now, and the cost may be prohibitive. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy items ready made vs custom work.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you make it yourself and use gold filled wire, it doesn't have to be expensive. If you would like to give it a try, there is a book I recommend, and I see the price has dropped way down since I bought it:

Making Wire & Bead Jewelry: Artful Wirework Techniques by Janice Berkebile and Tracy Stanley

Edited to add: use cheap craft wire for practice until you get the hang of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Wire-...jewelry+book&qid=1566142850&s=gateway&sr=8-16

If you really don't want try your hand at it, I suggest you visit a local jewelry designer whose style you like.

Last edited:

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Since I posted this, I practiced on cheap metal jewelry making supplies and Xiamen up with some options to do it myself. I’ve since ordered the supplies in 14k solid gold with the exception of the head pin I need - I was only able to find that in gold filled. I’ll post some photos when I’m done.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious as to why you haven't worn the strand in all that time. But I'm a goofball and have worn pearls with my pj's. :lol: Is the strand too short / too long? Maybe pearls aren't your thing?

There are some online vendors who may help, but you might be able to do the work yourself, if you're crafty. What type of pearls are they? The price of gold is very high right now, and the cost may be prohibitive. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy items ready made vs custom work.

I think full strands just are not my thing. A few clustered on a pendant or earrings I love but a full strand just doesn’t work with my stay at home mom lifestyle

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results