shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of transaction w/ SiamGemPalace on Etsy: lost parcel

mimB

Shiny_Rock
I'm posting this partially as warning for potential customers of SiamGemPalace, but mostly because the outcome of this transaction has left me upset.

I have made several purchases from SiamGemPalace on Etsy in the past 2 years (mostly beads); I have previously been satisfied with their products and customer service. They have a solid customer following on Etsy, and outstanding feedback.

Late November of this year, I was looking for melee stones to try out color combinations for a ring, and a friend recommended SiamGemPalace, as she had purchased similar stones from them before.

I ended up getting $60 worth of melee garnet from SiamGemPalace. They shipped it out from Thailand quickly via Registered mail. In only three days, it passed US customs in NYC, and then was lost (no more tracking info available on USPS website).
In the process of trying to recover the package, I called USPS several times, visited my local post office, recommended that SiamGemPalace open an inquiry on their end - but when nothing came of this in December, the package became officially unrecoverable in my mind.

Throughout this process, SiamGemPalace were a pleasure to interact with: sympathetic, polite, involved.
Amongst other things, they shared that mine was the second shipment that ever got lost in the experience of their business, and the first one out of the ones they sent via registered mail. I also learned that Thai post office could reimburse parcels up to $30, but that because the parcel was lost on US soil, the reimbursement would be inapplicable in my case.

As a solution to my situation, SiamGemPalace offered to sell me an identical parcel for half price.

Typically, I am very conflict avoiding, and tend to solve uncomfortable situations by ignoring their existence - down to blocking out my memory of them. This is a problem in my behavior, and I've been trying to pay attention to potential conflict situations, and leaning to resolve them actively.
This is why, instead of swallowing SiamGemPalace's offer, or simply never responding to it, I developed an opinion on what I thought was fair conduct in such a situation.
I decided that while a seller is not at fault for a lost parcel, they are still liable for it - whether by insuring it, or taking the risk of loss upon themselves, or at least by very loudly disclaiming their policy of "cannot guarantee delivery of package, buy at your own risk!".
I came to this conclusion by analyzing my own responsibility when I ship something (be it a return or an item I'm selling) - if someone paid me for an item, and it never got to them, I cannot charge them for it.

So, in my attempt to proactively address conflict, I sent the following response to SiamGemPalace:
"I am very pleased with Siam Gem Palace's customer service and appreciate the amount of communication and time you put into this transaction. I've had several excellent experiences with your store prior to this transaction, so I understand that my parcel getting lost via registered post is unprecedented.

However, from my end as a customer, I paid for a product and received nothing.
For example, if I was sending you a return and it never reached you, you would not provide me with a refund, since it would be my liability to get the product to you.
In this case, I feel that the liability for the parcel is with you, since you are the sender and the product never reached me.

I feel one of the following two options would be fair to both of us:
1) You send me an identical package (or as close as you can get with the stock you have), at no charge to me other than shipping costs. If possible, please insure the parcel.
2) You provide me with a full refund, other than the shipping costs included in this transaction.

If at some point in the future the original package reaches me, I will let you know immediately and will return in
."

To this, SiamGemPalace responded by very politely reiterating their take on the situation from a seller's perspective:
- that as a seller, they did everything in their control to ensure the package got to me;
- that they feel my proposed solutions were unfair to them as a small mom and pop shop;
Despite this, they have refunded me in full. However, I was asked to make no purchases from them in the future, and that any purchases I tried to make would be cancelled and refunded.

So... I am sad.
$60 is a minor amount of money to lose for me, so I contested SiamGemPalace's proposal only because I thought that developing opinions and standing behind them is a skill I really need to live a full life. I sort of expected my contra-proposal to result in a discussion - mine being the second package they ever lost, I thought they'd develop their policy on lost packages with me.
I was shocked at an outcome where I get banned as a customer.
I feel like I put extra effort to resolve a situation, to voice my opinion (and this is difficult for me) and was punished as a result. Labeled a bad customer. Rejected by people whom, based on our interactions, I liked! ;(

What could I have done better? I can't tell whether I should be angry at them or at myself?
(And if you're still reading, thank you).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Review of transaction w/ SiamGemPalace on Etsy: lost par

Things get extremely tricky with international shipping but you've done nothing wrong and settled it fairly and in a rational manner. I've had a parcel of matched pink spinels from Tan (eBay store based in Thailand) get lost enroute. Tracking was only available up to a certain point. Although neither his fault nor mine, he still refunded my money and I still do business with him. I am sorry you were banned and feel that it is unfair to you. It is their business decision to run their store with this policy which we are now aware of and it is our choice to accept it or go elsewhere.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1356231707|3338345 said:
Things get extremely tricky with international shipping but you've done nothing wrong and settled it fairly and in a rational manner.

I agree completely with Chrono's point. And while it is too bad the vendor reacted by banning you, I also don't think their offer to sell you at half-price a similar parcel to the one lost in the mail was a fair or equitable way to redress the situation, particularly because you were a repeat customer - frankly as a consumer I wouldn't have wanted to buy from them again anyway had I been in your shoes (but I know it is weird to think you are actually banned from doing so).

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Aw man, what an unpleasant situation! I always feel that whoever sends the package is responsible for it until it reaches the destination. It's in the sender's power to insure the package, and charge extra for insured shipping (or cover the extra cost to attract customers). Definitely sounds like the seller threw a temper tantrum at you; very sorry that you had to go through that. Thanks for posting here and making people aware of the risk... I wouldn't expect to pay for a package I never got. I think you did the right thing, and in a very reasonable manner.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mimB|1356231050|3338342 said:
I decided that while a seller is not at fault for a lost parcel, they are still liable for it - whether by insuring it, or taking the risk of loss upon themselves, or at least by very loudly disclaiming their policy of "cannot guarantee delivery of package, buy at your own risk!".
I came to this conclusion by analyzing my own responsibility when I ship something (be it a return or an item I'm selling) - if someone paid me for an item, and it never got to them, I cannot charge them for it.

I'm afraid that I don't agree with the above. Their shipping rates will be advertised on their website (presumably). If the buyer wants a secure/guaranteed/insured form of postage then the buyer should pay for that - which presumably is more than the "standard" shipping offered. For example, FedEx or a similar courier.

I have bought many many many stones from abroad and if something is important or valuable to me I very rarely trust the standard postal service. I will often pay for the more complete service.

Having said that, when I send anything back I secure MY position by posting it in a way that it's insured so I can claim if a problem arises BUT I'm not a seller - I'm an individual protecting my position and I take the cost on myself. As a vendor, it's simply too expensive for them to do and not cost effective.

The fact they offered you a similar parcel for half price I think is a very fair compromise - especially when they don't have to offer you anything (sad as that is). I do appreciate that you don't want to pay again but in terms of responsibility they are meeting you half way which is usually a fair outcome.

I'm very sorry for your loss because I know how frustrating it can be. However, give it some time. If it's only been lost for a few weeks there's still hope it may turn up. I bought something for my husband's birthday from Hong Kong at the beginning of November and it turned up yesterday!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sorry you were in this situation :( International shipping is a gamble.

I'm in a similiar situation right now. I bought a stone from Uli in Germany. It was shipped and hit the sorting facility in NY. From there... nothing.

An international item has to be "missing" for at least 30 days before anything can be done. The sender has to start a claim in their country with their postal service. Their post contacts the USPS and then they start looking for it. They sent me a letter stating they were looking into the claim and asked if I had recieved the parcel.

And that's where I stand on my purchase made in early September. I wonder how their investigation is going :wacko: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemFever|1356237047|3338389 said:
Aw man, what an unpleasant situation! I always feel that whoever sends the package is responsible for it until it reaches the destination. It's in the sender's power to insure the package, and charge extra for insured shipping (or cover the extra cost to attract customers). Definitely sounds like the seller threw a temper tantrum at you; very sorry that you had to go through that. Thanks for posting here and making people aware of the risk... I wouldn't expect to pay for a package I never got. I think you did the right thing, and in a very reasonable manner.

I feel the same way. If you return an item and it doesn't reach the final destination you would not get a refund so why should you be expected to pay for an item that never reaches you? It doesn't seem fair at all and if that is the way international shipping is conducted I wouldn't purchase from said vendor. How disappointing mimB- sorry you had to go through this and don't be sad about not being able to purchase from them again because I don't think they behaved responsibly expecting you to pay for something you never received IMO.

Davi-I hope your gem shows up soon!!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is a sticky subject, and one I struggle with. No customer wants to pay high shipping costs. I ship stones to countries all the time where I can not insure them through the postal system. On less expensive stones to the UK for example, I'll send them just first class mail, and the cost is $5. WHen someone buys a $50 stone, $5 isn't bad for shipping. Registered mail is $16 to the UK, but it still can not be insured. To use FedEx or some other service the costs could be almost as much as the stone. That doesn't make sense, and I don't think the customer would be willing to pay that much.

Now if a stone gets lost, should I pay for another one? Then it brings up the question, what if the customer receives the stone but claims they never got it. Do I refund them? I have had this happen, and the post office has claimed they delivered the package. The person claims it must have been stolen from their mail box, and then wants me to refund them.

If you bought something at the mall, and lost it in the parking lot on the way home, should store refund you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In that case I agree with you Gene. It's the case where the post office shows it never got delivered where I think the buyer should get a refund. But if it did get delivered then of course not re refund. That's on the buyer.

ETA: can't gems be delivered signature required?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes they can, but it all adds to the cost of shipping. I guess the question is, what are you willing to pay for shipping?

One thing I have noticed is this, most times when people return a stone, there is no insurance on it. THey send it just the cheapest way they can find, usually first class mail. I'm assuming they feel entitled to a refund if it gets back to me or not. Sometimes the gem jars I send the stone out in never come back either. The stone is wrapped in tissue and stuffed back in the mailer along with some tape that I sent it out in.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Firstly mimB, congrats on working on improving your own reaction to things, that's very difficult to do as an adult, especially when the result you get is not what you had hoped for. Do not let this unpleasant ending ruin your personal progress, sometimes tings don't end the way we imagined, the disappointment is part of dealing with it. It might be uncomfortable but you will grow from the experience and be more prepared next time.

As it stands, this is one reason why I always pay for purchases like this with a credit card. If the buyer every refuses to refund my money in this type of situation, American Express has by back. Best of luck with future purchases!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem|1356272520|3338498 said:
Yes they can, but it all adds to the cost of shipping. I guess the question is, what are you willing to pay for shipping?

One thing I have noticed is this, most times when people return a stone, there is no insurance on it. THey send it just the cheapest way they can find, usually first class mail. I'm assuming they feel entitled to a refund if it gets back to me or not. Sometimes the gem jars I send the stone out in never come back either. The stone is wrapped in tissue and stuffed back in the mailer along with some tape that I sent it out in.

I would want to pay for the extra safety. I am a risk adverse individual so that is what I would do.
I think that's awful Gene that there are people who try to steal/ cheat the system. And if someone doesn't return the jar the gem came in I would withhold the refund. That's nervy and dishonest of them. :nono:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1356271914|3338493 said:
In that case I agree with you Gene. It's the case where the post office shows it never got delivered where I think the buyer should get a refund. But if it did get delivered then of course not re refund. That's on the buyer.

ETA: can't gems be delivered signature required?

I agree with you, Missy, and think this is a bit overblown Gene, as signature confirmation adds $2 to the cost of the parcel within the US. Seems like an easy and cost effective solution. fwiw, in my experience both as seller (albeit quite limited) and buyer, most people want to send it and receive it insured.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Anything shipped in the US insured for $300 or more does require a signature. I have had many customers tell me that the mail person left the package with out a signature even though it was supposed to be required.

I try to send things out as economical yet safe as possible. Maybe I should just raise the shipping rates? I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on this.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

This is not always an easy question. I can see points on both sides. However, for $60 that store could easily have avoided making a longtime customer unhappy (and resulting bad word-of-mouth); it would have been a smart move. Depending on their markup, their out-of-pocket cost would be negligeable & their reputation enhanced as a reliable vendor.

They did, however, fufill their part of the transaction & the fact that the P.O. lost it isn't their fault. Yes, they could've insured it, but as Gene says, how much are you willing to pay for shipping for an item that doesn't cost much? If they didn't charge the customer, mailing would have eaten their entire profit.

Gene, you didn't say how you handle non-arrival of a stone (or reported non-arrival). What do you do? (Btw, yesterday I saw an article about an iPad left on a doorstep by UPS. The house's security camera showed a FedEx driver later dropping off something else -- and stealing the iPad! So it's possible your package did get there & go away too.)

I ask because I've wondered about that sort of thing -- last month I emailed a vendor that I wanted to return an amethyst I'd bought. He replied, "hang onto it. I'll send you a parcel of them; you can choose one & send the others back to me." It arrived Priority Mail, no signature required. I loved him for the wonderful gesture but did wonder, if it hadn't arrived, whether I'd be paying for 7 missing amethysts. Gene (or anybody else), do you handle these situations on a case by case basis, or do you have a specific policy?

--- Laurie

P.S. Stunning that buyers return stones without the original jar & so vulnerable to damage. Practically criminal, if you ask me! Return Policies of some vendors state that if a stone doesn't get back in its original packaging & undamaged, no refund will be issued, also instructions to insure it. That's perfectly reasonable. What pigs some people are!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shipping within country is very different to shipping to foreign countries - and should be handled differently.

A range of shipping costs (either insured, registered or regular) could be offered. If the vendor clearly states they are not responsible for uninsured packages then that's fair. If the buyer pays for insured shipping and the package is lost then the vendor needs to reimburse the buyer subject to confirmation that the package hasn't been delivered by the postal service used as presumably the vendor can reclaim from the postal service.

Nobody like to lose out and there's no reason why anybody should IF the correct postal option is chosen and paid for. This sounds harsh but it's the reality. I don't think we (buyers) can reasonably expect vendors to stand the cost of this as it impacts their business.

Gene - as for people shipping back stones in that condition? Dearie me! :rolleyes: I think I would withold a portion of their refund as it works both ways!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The gem jars are only around $.40 so it's not really a big deal, and I'm certainly not going to make a fuss over 40 cents.

I don't live anywhere near a FEDEX station, so to ship that way involves about 90 minutes of driving for me. I have always eaten any losses, but thankfully there have not been many at all.

I know when I buy things through the mail, I hate paying a lot for shipping, and will at times not make a purchase if the shipping is too expensive, especially compared to the price of the goods. I just purchased the Gem Dialogue color communication system, and shipping was $16.50. This seemed kind of expensive to me, but then again the product was over $400.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

One thing I have noticed is this, most times when people return a stone, there is no insurance on it. THey send it just the cheapest way they can find, usually first class mail. I'm assuming they feel entitled to a refund if it gets back to me or not.

I always assume the opposite -- if the returned item doesn't make it, the buyer (who is the shipper in this case) carries the responsibility. So if I sent a return item, didn't insure it, and it got lost in the mail, I'd be responsible and wouldn't expect a refund. It's my personal take on things. Of course, with international shipping and expensive insurance it does get tricky. Gotta weigh your options.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

PrecisionGem said:
The gem jars are only around $.40 so it's not really a big deal, and I'm certainly not going to make a fuss over 40 cents.
I know when I buy things through the mail, I hate paying a lot for shipping, and will at times not make a purchase if the shipping is too expensive, especially compared to the price of the goods.

It's not the jars themselves, but wrapping stones in a wad of tissue in an envelope puts them at risk. Despite the cheesiness of keeping the jars, it's the lack of care for somebody else's gems that gets me. I'd be tempted not to ship again to such a person without a notice that no refund will be given for damaged stones. Would depend on value whether the hassle was worth it, I know.

But I agree about shipping costs -- I've decided not to buy something fairly often due to costs, which are usually, on consumer-goods sites pretty inflated. I aborted a book purchase last week when mailing equalled the cost of the book. For stones, though, even without insurance, it only costs a buck or so to return them "signature required" so at least they could be traced.

--- Laurie

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

Shipping- always the question @___@ It gets complex when shipping costs are like, extremely expensive.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience =( Shipping is always tricky and stuff gets lost all the time. Though, I think what you did is fair (since we've had similar situations before and the request to the seller was always a full refund or a similar package, shipped registered.)

Gene- Good grief, they send the stones back wrapped in tissue paper? @_@ I would've had the decency at least to return it in a small jewellery box.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

michellechan2211|1356311538|3338805 said:
Gene- Good grief, they send the stones back wrapped in tissue paper? @_@ I would've had the decency at least to return it in a small jewellery box.

This kind of thing is the exception. For the most part the people I sell to, and deal with on the rough end are wonderful. It seems that people that are drawn to gem stones are a special breed. Because of the stones, I have made friends all over the world that have been a pleasure to work with. Every year I look forward to the Tucson shows not only to see the stones, but to visit with everyone again.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

PrecisionGem|1356357453|3339021 said:
This kind of thing is the exception. For the most part the people I sell to, and deal with on the rough end are wonderful. It seems that people that are drawn to gem stones are a special breed. Because of the stones, I have made friends all over the world that have been a pleasure to work with. Every year I look forward to the Tucson shows not only to see the stones, but to visit with everyone again.

That's good to know ^_^. But the idea of people doing this, even if they're few and far between, makes me mentally wince.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Actually shipping is a contract between buyer, shipper, and customer and you can write the contract any way you like. However the vast majority of routine contracts with USPS/UPS/FedEx, etc. are free-on-board shipping point, which means that as soon as it crosses the loading dock or is dropped at the local post office, it's the buyer's problem.

On the plus side, the buyer still has a chance of recovering the parcel and/or getting reimbursed and the shipper has graciously offered to sell you merchandise at a substantial discount, so you may end up ahead. I realize this is small comfort as you "may" here means "probably not," but keep in mind that you and the seller are both going to lose money and they are actually choosing to give you something extra.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Very sticky indeed.
Fortunately I have had very few of this type of issue even though I ship jewelry and gemstones from Thailand to any country in the world on a regular basis. The post offices are generally VERY good.
I offer 'free' registered shipping, which cannot be insured, plus offer to upgrade to EMS shipping which supposedly is somewhat insured for an additional $25 but when the customer decides not to upgrade shipping and according to the tracking it clears my country and gets lost in theirs....
I agree with LD, the offer to go halfway was fair. We must work together or not at all.
Though I have never had to make the call, I can certainly see the logic in blocking a customer that would not accept a meeting at the halfway point but instead insisted on a full refund of the price when it appeared by the tracking info that they possibly received the item. Plus they are the party that chose the shipper and the tracking shows that the seller sent them something and it entered their country. Any time that a new buyer makes me wonder, I block them, even if they never bought a thing from me. When it is a regular customer, however, I very likely would do whatever it takes to keep them happy and would not consider blocking them.
Even Ebay would likely side with the seller in this case and they are famous for siding with the buyer.
I know that my opinion is likely biased as I am usually the seller, possibly just like many on here are likely biased as they are usually the buyer.
Thank goodness we rarely see this. Best regards, Lee

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been thinking about OP's situation, and I think as a repeat buyer who had been satisfied with the specific vendor's product/service in the past, in this particular instance a satisfactory resolution for me would have been a 50% refund of my original purchase price - but I continue to believe being asked to spend additional money (even at half price), on top of the original purchase now lost in the mail, is not a fair resolution to a repeat customer.

mimB

Shiny_Rock

Thank you everyone for responding with your thoughts!

I do see that international shipping presents a challenge when developing liability policy.

Ultimately, I think that the most fair process for shipping isn't some universal solution, but a clear articulation of a particular shop's policies on shipping and lost packages.
Different business can afford different policies.
I am certain that some mom and pop shops are able to distribute financial losses due to shipping errors into the overall pricing of their inventory. SiamGemPalace chose that this policy is not something they can or want to afford.

I do think that it is reasonable to assume that the seller will have a better idea of the shipping process to another country than the buyer - after all, the seller is likely to have more transaction experience.
And if the seller hasn't - isn't it in their best interest to research shipping processes and statistics?

Also, if we look at the process of making an insurance claim for a USPS parcel - the claim has to be started by the person who shipped the item, hence - the seller. Regardless of whether the seller is in US or abroad. This itself implies that the only person really capable of making sure that the package gets to the recipient is the sender (however little actual control there is over the situation).

To me, as a customer, I feel like something along the following lines in the policy would have been fair:
"By making a purchase from our store, you agree to the following policy:

We do not accept any liability for shipment loses that may occur.
The buyer assumes full risk for the shipment as soon as the tracking shows that the package has been shipped.

Shipping options we offer:
Within Thailand:
....<here go standard rates, including choices that include insurance, delivery confirmation, etc, and rush options>

Internationally:
1) Standard - Thai Registered Post: <flat rate goes here>
Disclaimer: Typical shipping time to US. and Canada is 10-12 business days. Some delay at the county of receipt custom's can extend shipping time up to 35 business days. Packages uninsured, and no claims can be filed if lost. That said, we have lost <# of parcels lost> out of <# of parcels sent> using this method, as of <date of last update to policy>.
2) Rush - FedEx International Priority: <rate>
Disclaimer: Time to US - 3 business days. <Here goes description of whether such shipping offers insurance, etc.>
..."

This way, when I see the policy, I can access the opportunity cost of the various shipping options. Perhaps, if I buy a cheap parcel, I'll take the risk of economic shipping - and if I pay over a certain amount for the goods, I'll cash out on the more secure shipping.
(For this, it would supremely awesome if Etsy would allow customization of the check out page based on the shop's policy for shipping - so that instead of contacting the seller, or researching through all of their listings for the ones with shipment options, you could select the shipment option at checkout).

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

yes, Etsy is a bit behind in formatting shipping options, completely dependent on convos.

mimB

Shiny_Rock

PrecisionGem|1356279052|3338539 said:

I don't live anywhere near a FEDEX station, so to ship that way involves about 90 minutes of driving for me. I have always eaten any losses, but thankfully there have not been many at all.

I know when I buy things through the mail, I hate paying a lot for shipping, and will at times not make a purchase if the shipping is too expensive, especially compared to the price of the goods. I just purchased the Gem Dialogue color communication system, and shipping was $16.50. This seemed kind of expensive to me, but then again the product was over $400.

Gene,
As someone who always ends up jumping in my chair every time you post anything new on your blog, and randomly spends tea breaks ogling your website over and over again - I feel like a large portion of your customers just have to be as giddy as me about your business.

I have found that I really benefit when gemstone sellers have blog posts (or website pages) outlining best practices, both on the side of customer and themselves.
For example, a page explaining shipment options, pricing, and what they mean in terms of risk. (Ok, no one has this yet that I've seen). (Also, I think the most sticky situation is when the parcel gets shipped with signature confirmation, get marked as delivered - but the customer states that they never got it - the package gets stolen or misdelivered, in other words. Have no opinion as to what should be done in such a situation).
Another example - a post outlining the best way to package a stone to prevent damage. (If it involves using the plastic jars, perhaps have an option to buy them in addition to the gemstone). Or maybe it's possible to structure your website in a way that would prevent checkout unless the buyer accepts policy, which would state that unless the stone is packaged in the way you specify, a return will not be provided?

Final example - an Etsy seller, http://www.etsy.com/people/yvonneraley,,, posts infrequent, but extensive explanations of her business practices, as well as observations of trends in the gemstone industry. (http://cecileraleydesigns.blogspot.com/).
So, sometimes she'll say - metal pricing has gone up, and this is how I calculate prices for metal in rings and etc, and this is how it is reflected in the prices I can offer you. Or - sapphire hunting has become difficult - everyone is holding on to their material over a certain size, so I can provide kyanite or spinel if you're looking for blue gems, or we have to work in a higher price range.
And I don't know if a lot of her customers read this, but when I do, I can see that some of decisions that she makes which look like unfavorable changes are in fact reasonable business practices.

So, *shrug* - something to consider.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

mimB, Thanks for the feed back. I do have some shipping information on the "Information Page". Maybe I need to expand it. I find that a lot of people don't read over the pages other than the blog where new stones are posted. I get emails all the time where someone will see a stone on the latest blog page, then ask me what the price is, and how they can buy it.

I send out every stone in a white square gem jar. So the if the customer wants to return a stone, I figured it would be pretty logical to return it in the same jar it was sent out in. I can understand that people would like to keep the jar, but then it would be good form to keep the stone too.

What makes shipping difficult is that each country seems to have different rules. For some reason I can't insure going to Canada or the UK, but some other countries I can. FedEx is kind of out of the question for me as the nearest FedEx drop off is too far away. FedEx I think is really expensive to ship with insurance.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I like mimB's idea of posting complete policy, however, I think that rules are meant to be bent and broken sometimes. If a seller offers a very specific and detailed policy such as it is the buyers responsibility once there is a tracking number etc then many buyers will be turned off from making a purchase.
If the seller instead offers to accept full responsibility for the post office then they open themselves up to scammers that want the item and their money too.
I think the seller must use judgement on each individual case. I have customers that I value very highly and would do most anything to keep them coming back, even it meant losing money. A few are a pain and I would rather simply block them. A seller must have some basic policies but very specific decisions and services will differ according to the value the seller places on the individual customer. Best regards, Lee

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results