shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of a stone please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
I am considering a stone from union diamond. Can you please give me your input on the stone. I''m looking for a good stone that looks nice at a good price, but I don''t need top of the line specs. For instance I took color that was a little lower intentionally to bring the price down b/c I couldn''t tell much of a difference down to an I color stone.

EGL CERT
1.51 C
7.39-7.37 x 4.47 mm
60.6% depth
58% table
14% crown
43% pavilion
medium girdle
polish very good
symmetry excellent
culet none
clarity VS1
graining slight
color grade I
fluorescence: very slight blue

Notes on cert: "Excellent Ideal cut"
cert#EGL2832126731

price is 6K

Is this a good price for this stone? I ran the dimensions through the cut utility on price scope and it performed very well.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any picture of the stone?
Do you have an idealscope that you can use to view the stone?

ETA
What is the correct angle of the stone? I think 14% might be the crown height, not the crown %. It should be in the 30's.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:13:57 PM
Author: Chrono
Any picture of the stone?
Do you have an idealscope that you can use to view the stone?

ETA
What is the correct angle of the stone? I think 14% might be the crown height, not the crown %. It should be in the 30's.
Its the crown angle in percents most likely, EGL measure both crown and pavilion using percents as mentioned yesterday.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I get for not paying attention.
9.gif

0.9 TIC on the HCA.
It would certainly be great to get confirmation with an IS.

Lorelei,
There was another poster yesterday who said her EGL cert shows the angles and not %. Maybe only the new certs now use angles?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:08:33 PM
Author:greenstarfish
I am considering a stone from union diamond. Can you please give me your input on the stone. I'm looking for a good stone that looks nice at a good price, but I don't need top of the line specs. For instance I took color that was a little lower intentionally to bring the price down b/c I couldn't tell much of a difference down to an I color stone.

EGL CERT
1.51 C
7.39-7.37 x 4.47 mm
60.6% depth
58% table
14% crown
43% pavilion
medium girdle
polish very good
symmetry excellent
culet none
clarity VS1
graining slight
color grade I
fluorescence: very slight blue

Notes on cert: 'Excellent Ideal cut'
cert#EGL2832126731

price is 6K

Is this a good price for this stone? I ran the dimensions through the cut utility on price scope and it performed very well.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome!

The diamond appears to be well cut, but firstly we really need to know which EGL lab graded it such as EGL USA, Antwerp, Israel etc. Some EGL labs are thought to be less strict than others with EGL USA being the strongest lab.

I think it is EGL Israel, can you check this please Greenstar? If you want to buy this diamond, I would get an independant appraisal done during the return period to make sure the diamond checks out for colour and clarity, but if you could check if it is EGL Israel that would be useful to know.

This page explains how the grading labs rank - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

As to Idealscope images, UD do not provide them to the best of my knowledge.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:20:37 PM
That's what I get for not paying attention.
9.gif

0.9 TIC on the HCA.
It would certainly be great to get confirmation with an IS.

Lorelei,
There was another poster yesterday who said her EGL cert shows the angles and not %. Maybe only the new certs now use angles?
I haven't seen any EGL reports which use angles, nor have I heard that they have started doing so...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the poster has his/her own IS, then he/she can use it as confirmation. Yes, I am aware the UD does not provide IScopes. Do they provide pictures of the actual stone?

The EGL cert is a good point. I have no problems with an EGL USA but would not recommend the other EGLs (Europe, Israel, etc) because the grading on colour and clarity isn''t as stringent as GIA and AGS.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:26:27 PM
If the poster has his/her own IS, then he/she can use it as confirmation. Yes, I am aware the UD does not provide IScopes. Do they provide pictures of the actual stone?

The EGL cert is a good point. I have no problems with an EGL USA but would not recommend the other EGLs (Europe, Israel, etc) because the grading on colour and clarity isn't as stringent as GIA and AGS.
Not as far as I am aware, no pictures.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
I do have pictures of the actual stone that I can attach.

The cert is from 12/08 so its new and it has crown and angle percents not actual angles.

How do I know where this EGL cert is from? I have the cert, but I can'' tell. I am aware that the these certs aren''t as stringent as a GIA, but I am also paying less b/c of that. In my case as long as its eye clean and the color is decent, the cut is very good and the price is good for what I''m getting then I''m ok.

Using the percentages from the cert here is the HCA score I got. Which seemed good to me for the price, but I''m no expert.

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 0.9 - Excellent
within TIC range
Click here to read usage warnings and information.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be on the cert itself. My EGL USA cert states it plainly on the top. I''m off to find a picture. Be back soon.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Here is the pic. I can''t tell much from looking at this one way or the other. I have had good dialogue w/ the person at union diamond for a long time. I have been dragging her around for almost 3 months now and she always answers every question I have. I like her and feel comfortable w/ her as much as possible anyway. I know the color is marginal and she assures me the color won''t be an issue. If it is I will return it, but like I said she seems to be pretty straight. I picked out other stones that were more expensive and she told me that some of them had issues.

1.51 I VS1 BR pic2-3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you see the large white lettering stating EGL . USA ?
Good grief! That was giant. Let me try again.

EGL USA OEC.jpg

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
I''m mostly sure its not USA. I''m guessing Europe. I tried to attach the cert but it was too big.

It says European gemological laboratory on the top. I have some Israli certs before and this one looks different.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
No USA on the top:) I would have seen that:) It just says EGL in that area.The cert number starts w/ EGL as well not USA.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There! My apologies for the giant cert.
emembarrassed.gif

EGL USA1.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 digit number I believe can denote a non EGL USA lab such as Israel to the best of my knowledge.

If you like the diamond then make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal to make sure the colour and clarity check out.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t be surprised if it is Israel. My theory on that is if I''m careful enough I can still get a good stone w/ this cert for a better price. I just have to do more research and know more about what I''m buying then I would w/ a GIA cert.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s nothing wrong with an EGL (other) if the stone checks out. Say it ends up a K SI1, as long as you are paying at that price for a K SI1, then no worries.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Its Israel. That is probably why the price is better I would think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:26:16 PM
Author: greenstarfish
Its Israel. That is probably why the price is better I would think.
I thought so.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind here that my main goal is something my girlfriend will like. I don''t need anything fabulous, but I do want a good solid stone for and I want to pay a good price for what I''m getting. As I can tell this stone seems to have a very good cut which was my primary concern. The VS1 is above my standard of at least an SI2 so I think even if this is a little lax I will be ok. The color worries me a little be an EGL, but the person I''m working w/ assures me the color is good considering. If not I guess I can send it back.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:32:18 PM
Keep in mind here that my main goal is something my girlfriend will like. I don''t need anything fabulous, but I do want a good solid stone for and I want to pay a good price for what I''m getting. As I can tell this stone seems to have a very good cut which was my primary concern. The VS1 is above my standard of at least an SI2 so I think even if this is a little lax I will be ok. The color worries me a little be an EGL, but the person I''m working w/ assures me the color is good considering. If not I guess I can send it back.
Understood - I would definitely recommend an independant appraisal assuming you like the diamond on receipt to make sure it checks out for colour and clarity - so you will know what you are getting and that it is priced accordingly.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Yes I will certainly get an appraisal when I get it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:41:42 PM
Yes I will certainly get an appraisal when I get it.
Thank you. Do let us know how it checks out.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Ok so what is the right price? That is my question. I''m paying 6k for the stone. So how far down can it check out where this is still a good deal?

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
When I get it appraised then should I not give them the cert? It seems like if I do they will just just tell me what they see on the cert?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:46:00 PM
When I get it appraised then should I not give them the cert? It seems like if I do they will just just tell me what they see on the cert?
You want the appraisal to be unbiased so no need to give them the report prior to the exam. Do make sure the appraiser is truly independant and not someone who sells jewellery and therefore has a vested interest. As to pricing, get the appraisal first to see what you have for colour and clarity and the appraiser can give you an idea as to whether the price paid was fair would be best, otherwise it is speculation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An AGS certed 1.5 ct I VS1 is going for $13K
An AGS certed 1.5 ct K VS2 is going for $9K
Looking at the pricing, I would guess that a 1.5 ct K SI1 would probably run about $6K. Therefore, if your stone is indeed a K VS2, then you are paying the "appropriate" price.

If the appraiser is truly independent, he/she will correctly judge and measure the colour and clarity grade. You do not have to turn over the cert or tell the IA what it is certed as.

greenstarfish

Rough_Rock
Yes I will thanks for your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:57:29 PM
Yes I will thanks for your help.
You are very welcome, please let me know how you get on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results