shape
carat
color
clarity

Review of a Leo Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One of my clients asked me to post the analysis of her Leo Cut diamond because of the curiosity expressed by many posters.

The next eight posts are jpeg photos of the top & bottom of the following four reports:

1. Appraisal
2. Optical Analysis
3. Clarity Photos
4. Critique/Consultation

A couple of notes:

*The trademark faceting of the Leo Cut is an extra 8 pavilion main facets. If you look closely on the photos at the end of this post, you'll see the 16 "slender" pavilion mains.

*The diamond was purchased with an IGI report grading it as a G color, SI1 clarity, which I agreed with.

*The diamond was very bright and lively, with a pleasant visual presentation. It was a bit deep though (64.5%) with a consequent smaller diameter than ideal (6.04-6.14 versus 6.4 mm ideal). So far, all the Leo's I've seen have been a little deep, with thicker than average girdles. On a good note, the good to very good light return performance in general and "edge" light return in particular make the diamond appear a little larger than it actually is (diameter of an "ideal cut" 0.82 carat).

*The client states she paid $9,900 for the diamond, which I appraised for $7900 (in which I included what I considered an appropriate premium for the "branded" aspect of the diamond). Apparently her purchase was a "trade up", which might account for the high price paid (full list minus her trade?). The diamond was appraised by IGI for $9,900, which further makes me think she paid full "list price". I feel ordinarily the Leo's would probably sell (relatively speaking) in the same neighborhood that I appraised this one for, or less.

*The proportions of the diamond give it a technical AGA Cut Class of 3A, but the 8 additonal facets give it an appearance of diamonds ranking higher.

*Overall I felt the Leo was a pleasant diamond. I would recommend it for purchase, providing the pricing was satisfactory. As this is a branded cut marketed through a mall retail outlet, it carries a premium. Many of the clients of these stores are often purchasing through the store's credit system, and are willing to absorb this premium in exchange for the convenience.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Richard, is there any way to blank out the client's name in that first picture of your appraisal? Or does she not mind you posting her name?

victorianblue

Rough_Rock
I'm a comfortable with my name on the posted information. I am past the point of embarrasment part of what was involved in the purchased of this set.

While I know that most of the pricescope members have more education with respect to diamonds, I thought the report would be helpful or useful in providing a little insight about the Leo diamond in general for those folks who are unfamiliar with this paticular branded diamond.

Additionally, I have noted that there have been prior posts regarding value or need for a Independant report/appraisal. This ring example clearly shows the need & importance for having a Indenpendant report/appraisal.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that you should be embarrassed for owning that beautiful set of rings! I was just worried about your security. I thought that Richard might have posted your name by accident. It's kind of you to share all that vaulable information with PS readers.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
May I add that it's a well prepared report, and Richard has a very nice signature.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suspect that if a diamond had a cone as a pavilion, (and a frustrom of a cone as a crown) that it might have little or no fire. That is the downside of the extra 8 facets.

Nice repors Rich - gee you work hard for your $'s mate.
Still I suppose that stops you having too much time for drinking!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You would think that, wouldn't you Garry, but in actuality this stone had a very good display of colored light return (fire).

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Very deep with a thick girdle, and I think that crown angle rung the bell. Can't even run the thing through the HCA - "overly thick girdle".

Leo - I can't download the "critique" or "consultation" have they been deleted?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Leo - I can't download the 'critique' or 'consultation' have they been deleted?
----------------
something wrong with the files' names. I'm going to fix it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/27/2004 6:31:33 AM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

I suspect that if a diamond had a cone as a pavilion, (and a frustrom of a cone as a crown) that it might have little or no fire.

----------------

So.. there should be a range for how large a facet can be (except table) to result in (what you found to be a) pleasing visual impression?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice report Richard. Im not a big fan of the leo cut. The stores push it as cut to ideal specs which is not the case.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
victorianblue,

How very nice of you to allow this information to be shared and help advance the knowledge base available to all PS users.

Thanks !

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Rich!!!

Never saw this thread but that was really nice of the person to let you post the appraisal data.

Very very long lower girdles on those eh? If you can recall examining this stone would you say that this diamonds strength lied in it''s scintillation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results