shape
carat
color
clarity

Reupholstering My Cushion ER

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After spending considerable time reading all the various threads on cushions (and drooling over the photos), I came to realize why my center cushion just didn't make my heart sing. I love my setting, but the diamond was too deep and it was suffering from a serious case of helicopter-pad syndrome! I had a flat cushion that was too small, spread-wise, and the table stretched nearly to all four prongs. :( After speaking with my husband, he agreed it was time to find the right center stone.

Here are the before photos:

IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG
IMG_6097.JPG

As I mentioned, I really love this rose gold setting. Aside from the sentimental aspects (my hubby and I found this together on a special trip :))), the halo is distinctly large, has a split shank, and the gallery allows just about any band to sit flush. So I set out to find a diamond that would make the setting shine and give myself something to drool over in person.

After working with some terrific folks at James Allen and my jeweler (who is a saint!), *three* diamond sets later, I found the "One." I even bought an ASET scope to evaluate the diamonds myself. lol To no surprise, it's actually a smaller carat weight than my original, but the spread, the cut, the fire :-o is absolutely amazing! It sits so well in the setting and just works so beautifully. I've scheduled to have the prongs reworked, but for now, I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

Specs on old stone: 1.22ct, E, SI1, 5.98x5.87x4.64, 70.1% depth, 71% table
For the new stone: 1.05ct, G, VS1, 6.30x6.11x4.04, 66.1% depth, 55% table

So, here she is... my reupholstered cushion ER:

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

Thanks again to the Pricescope community for the valuable education and advice it provides... for so long I didn't understand why I just wasn't satisfied with my ER, but now I am in love every time I take a glance.

Thanks for letting me share! :mrgreen:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is a much nicer look. I love it-- so pretty!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I think you have made a huge improvement. If we can see the improvement in photos I imagine you are seeing it even more in person. It looks lovely on you.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous new stone and I don't really see a size difference!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I can hardly believe you went down in carat weight - it is such a better fit in your setting! It's a really lovely stone and the ring looks wonderful.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing how much of a difference the center stone can make on the entire presence of the ring. I'm so excited for you!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! And a great example of the difference of a well cut diamond :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great improvement, and I love your witty subject title! :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a big difference, the whole ring really shines now! Your persistence in finding the right stone paid off! And even though you went down in carat weight, you went up quite a bit in spread (5.98 vs. 6.30!). So glad you can fully enjoy such a beautiful ring now!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, really beautiful! I live your setting and this stone looks perfectly at home and seems so much more lively.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! It's hard to believe that's the same setting! It just looks so perfect now. Great job with your new center stone choice!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so wonderful that you found something that does make your heart sing. Your new stone looks super bright and lively. Great that you made it fit better into your cushion setting. Well Done!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Agreed. I really looks different and much brighter! Excellent find--and wonderful you kept your previous settings.

cheers--Sharon

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stonewell! What a sparkle bomb! I love the floral band with it. Enjoy, it looks beautiful on you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks amazing! Great upgrade (even though it is less carat weight you gained all around)!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone, for your kind words and feedback! The photos don't do it justice (I'm a terrible jewelry photographer), but I'm glad you're able to make out the difference in cut.

Cushions are such an interesting breed of diamonds; there are so many variations! I focused on finding cushion brilliant plots, but did try out a modified brilliant, "X-factor" too. In the end, an 8-main, with the topside cut like the one shown in the lower right corner of this diagram, was the clear winner. I'm glad I took the time to evaluate several in the setting and hopefully this encourages others to do the same, if possible, during their search.

IMG_6397.PNG

Just a couple more shots... :kiss:

IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6386.JPG

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
I love your stone! It fits perfectly in your setting and looks like it has a lot of fire.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new stone is absolutely gorgeous and I dare say it fits better in your halo setting, too! :love: Congrats!!!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new look is stunning! Your new stone radiates light and it fits perfectly in your beautiful setting. Please post a lot more of your gorgeous pics.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone, for your kind words and feedback! The photos don't do it justice (I'm a terrible jewelry photographer), but I'm glad you're able to make out the difference in cut.

Cushions are such an interesting breed of diamonds; there are so many variations! I focused on finding cushion brilliant plots, but did try out a modified brilliant, "X-factor" too. In the end, an 8-main, with the topside cut like the one shown in the lower right corner of this diagram, was the clear winner. I'm glad I took the time to evaluate several in the setting and hopefully this encourages others to do the same, if possible, during their search.

I echo what others have said, the effects of a well cut diamond show thru on your rehab project.. your stone and setting and wedding are perfect!!

congratulations on finding a better stone!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and I love the rose gold!

Really liking the delicate filigree band that you have it paired with in one of the earlier shots. If I may ask, where did you find that band?

Congratulations on your new stone.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, all. I so appreciate all the comments... it helps to confirm all this effort was worthwhile. It also helps make the hubs feel good about the money we spent on another stone! :razz:

Beautiful and I love the rose gold!

Really liking the delicate filigree band that you have it paired with in one of the earlier shots. If I may ask, where did you find that band?

Congratulations on your new stone.

I found the floral filigree band through an Etsy seller, Arik Jewelry aka Seller of Jewels. You can find him here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SellerOfJewels?ref=condensed_trust_header_icon_items

Turns out, he's in Orange County too and about 4 miles from my home - so dangerous! :twisted: I've been getting all my stacking bands there. He's also the saint who has reset multiple cushions for me over the last month. I don't see this particular band listed yet, likely because he just received them last week. I suggest sending David a message to inquire and include my pic... he'll recognize me as the crazy cushion lady. :lol-2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a difference cut makes! Good for you for searching out a well cut diamond to do justice to your pretty ring!:appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, that's an amazing new diamond!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! Your new diamond looks fabulous in that pretty setting! :love::love::love:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stone is so beautiful! I love the original setting, you must be looking at your hand all the time!

Loreal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a difference. Love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results