shape
carat
color
clarity

Returning item for repair

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I'm on the way to FedEx to send my DBTY back.

When you return an item for repair, do you just send the item or do you send all of the paperwork that came with it?

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would call and ask the vendor. If it is just a repair and not a return I would say no.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Did you figure out how to send the necklace without having to pay tax again? I have a few pieces from them and have been watching to see how everything was resolved. I would think that if you were not returning for credit you would hang on to the paperwork. But you should include a note of your expectations for the repair.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hi HOT

I just checked old emails and saw I returned only the item, and completed airway bill and commercial invoice to be placed in pouch on outside of the box.

HTH

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Guys!

Well the necklace has gone and... i sent it back with the paperwork. The fedex guy took half of the commercial invoices to attach to the new paperwork as the original shipping info and i also included the reciept and the valuation certificate. I decided this was best because if Yekutiel can't replace the stones i am unhappy with for free I want a full refund.

As far as sending something back and avoiding further customs charges, I will copy in the email that i recieved from a very helpful customs guy from Fedex.

The invoice you need to prepare to send the goods back to the supplier
should state:
'Goods being returned to manufacture for repair under warranty
agreement'.

When the supplier has repaired your goods & prepares his invoice to send
the goods back to you, his invoice should state:
'Goods repaired under warranty agreement' Value of goods: $......,
estimated value of warranty repair $......

He said as long as this is stated on the invoice there shouldn't be any problem with further customs charges. There will be a $50 fedex fee when it returns though as they still have to process it.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Just to update for people researching returning items for repair..

I accidentally sent the necklace back with no insurance... Yes very smart.

Anyway, when I rang FedEx to see if I could add it on (I couldn't because the package had already left) the FedEx customer service operator said that I could only insure the package for $1000 MAX. I asked about using the commercial account and he said it made no difference, FedEx only insures for $1000 regardless of value.

Something else to think about if you are contemplating sending something back from out of the country.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1360975139|3381302 said:
Just to update for people researching returning items for repair..

I accidentally sent the necklace back with no insurance... Yes very smart.

Anyway, when I rang FedEx to see if I could add it on (I couldn't because the package had already left) the FedEx customer service operator said that I could only insure the package for $1000 MAX. I asked about using the commercial account and he said it made no difference, FedEx only insures for $1000 regardless of value.

Something else to think about if you are contemplating sending something back from out of the country.

So you are saying that it wasn't possible for IDJ to send you a return FedEx label because you are outside the US?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
DS, I used Yekutiel's international FedEx account to send it back myself. He could have sent me a return shipping label but I wanted to make sure it was sent back the way the customs guy at FedEx explained to do it, in order to avoid further customs charges.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1360982608|3381410 said:
DS, I used Yekutiel's international FedEx account to send it back myself. He could have sent me a return shipping label but I wanted to make sure it was sent back the way the customs guy at FedEx explained to do it, in order to avoid further customs charges.

Okay, I see. So I am assuming this means that his US account has full coverage for insurance but international does not? That is the whole reason I almost always use the vendor account to send pieces back even if it is a situation where I am paying for the shipping.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting. I've been told in the past by at least one vendor, perhaps two (can't name them for sure), that they would have my item insured during shipping if it were sent on their account. I think when I was dealing with Leon, he explained that the insurance isn't through the actual courier service, but through a third party insurer that covers all their items no matter where they are. When I mailed my ring back to him ages ago, he told me not to bother taking out any shipping insurance at all because it was already covered by 'his guy.' Maybe this is the case here?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Ginger, that's sounds practical and plausible. I mentioned to Yekutiel that I sent it without insurance by accident and all he said was... "oh my..." so I'm taking that to mean it wasn't insured under his.

Moral of the story... Make sure you double check who is insuring it and how much for, before you ship it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results