shape
carat
color
clarity

return semi-mount to China or...?

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
So...I gave a new(ish) ebay semi mount company a try and had them create a semi-mount for me. The workmanship was good, but sadly the diamonds were not. (sigh)

The company will take back the semi-mount for a refund, but I'd need to send it to China. Here's my concern: they requested that I list it as a gift worth a small amount of money so they can avoid customs. I don't want to lie--and I'm afraid to send the mount without insuring it for the full amount. (It was actually pretty expensive.)

Any advice? They don't have a US office/shipping address, so that's not an option. The company did offer me a partial refund, so I suppose I could keep the semi-mount and have my jeweler replace the melee. But does that sound crazy?

I would appreciate any words of wisdom you have to share!

Many, many thanks,
Kathy

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I sent a incorrectly made eBay ring mount back to China. I followed their instructions and got my money back a few weeks later. I also asked for, and received a refund for my return shipping costs.

BTW, I've had a package disappear with the post office and when you make a claim, they won't pay you the entire insured amount anyway. After all, they have no proof that you actually mailed anything of value. After that experience, when they ask at the post office if I want to buy insurance, I just laugh, say no, and save my money.

Good luck. Chances are your package will arrive just fine.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
most of the vendors from china and thailand will ask you to list it as a gift to avoid taxes- LOGR and Ian.bo both do this. They also claim it as costume jewelry when they send it to you so the US won't take it either. I would just do it so you can return it. I guess i have lower morals :tongue:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1289991563|2769728 said:
most of the vendors from china and thailand will ask you to list it as a gift to avoid taxes- LOGR and Ian.bo both do this. They also claim it as costume jewelry when they send it to you so the US won't take it either. I would just do it so you can return it. I guess i have lower morals :tongue:

I have no problem with classifying mass produced cheap chinese mounts as costume jewelry. :halo: It's a bureaucratic thing, IMHO. :Up_to_something:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1289966857|2769522 said:
I sent a incorrectly made eBay ring mount back to China. I followed their instructions and got my money back a few weeks later. I also asked for, and received a refund for my return shipping costs.

BTW, I've had a package disappear with the post office and when you make a claim, they won't pay you the entire insured amount anyway. After all, they have no proof that you actually mailed anything of value. After that experience, when they ask at the post office if I want to buy insurance, I just laugh, say no, and save my money.

Good luck. Chances are your package will arrive just fine.

Really? I filed a claim once, and I showed them the invoice as proof of the value, and I got my $$$ back. You need to keep the receipt of purchase for the insurnce claim, and the claim slips that you receive when you buy the insurance, and some proof of the value.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl, Sarahbear and Tourmaline_Lover, thanks so much for your input!

I still feel sort of weird about the whole thing, but maybe I'll go ahead and send it back and hope for the best. Cross your fingers! :))

Thanks again for your help!!

Kathy

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which one was it, I don't want to order from them and I have been looking at semi mounts.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at it this way - when they shipped it to you, did they declare the full amount on the package so you had to pay import tax? Most don't. The best thing about labelling it as costume jewellery is that it's more unlikely to be stolen. If you send it by regular post for the full amount and declare it as such, the probability of it being stolen is higher.

I always get proof of sending and email that to the vendor. If you're worried you could email them, explain your concerns about not being insured for the full value and ask if you send them trackable proof of sending will they reimburse you in full if the package goes astray?

Hope that helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results