shape
carat
color
clarity

retipping prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

My friend has an antique eng. ring that belonged to her grandmother and the prongs need to be retipped. About how much would such a service cost for a platinum ring? She''s going to have to call around because she''s tight on cash, so she needs a rough estimate of a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Michelle

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on the construction of the ring... Can you post a picture?

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Yes post a photo. Platinum takes very high heat and the diamond may have to be removed to do this properly. Or someone may just use white gold. Several options here...Cindy

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I just tried to call my friend but she's not home so I'm can't get a photo right now. . .

Here's a close example of what her ring looks like, taken from a web site. There is one prong per corner holding the diamond in place. The diamond is in an illusion box setting with most of the diamond below the girdle being covered covered by ornate metal work.

She was told over a year ago by a jeweler that the prongs needed to be redone and just yesterday brought the ring over and we looked with my loop and it looks like only two are worn away, so maybe she can just have those two done???

Thanks again and if she is able to get a clear photo, I'll post it later.

Michelle

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
bump - please someone help! thanks

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, this probably won't be much help, but since nobody else is answering...

A local jeweler replaced the entire head of an antiuqe platinum setting for me for $200, so it should definitely be less than that.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, it does help. At least I have a ballpark figure for my friend
2.gif

Hopefully she gets her ring fixed. . .the diamond doesn't look too stable.

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results