shape
carat
color
clarity

Retin-A users?

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Hola :wavey:

Ok, I am not sure if this is too 'girlie' a question to ask on a forum about diamonds (!?) but only doing so as I have noticed in the short time I have been following PS that there a few people have mentioned this product on this section of the forum in other posts. I am wondering if there are many PS users of Retin-A? And how they find it?

I ask purely as I have just ordered a few tubes (0.05%) of this supposed 'Miracle Cream' (*Disclaimer: I am normally very sceptical of any lotions or potions which claim to work wonders, I think if they actually did they would cost thousands for a jar) but anyway that aside, I'm now staring at 5 tubes of the stuff as the postman just delivered them and I am getting somewhat cold feet as to whether it's worth using, mainly due to what I have read about it A: making you break out like crazy in spots and also B: the uber sun sensitivity ~ I live in Sydney and it's virtually impossible, esp. now that Spring has sprung, to avoid the (strong) sun for 8 months of the year. I wear factor 30 on my face everyday but don't want to become crazy paranoid about sitting in the sun even with a factor on.

I would be very interested and appreciative to hear any stories ~ good or bad regarding any user's experiences. Did you notice much of a change in your skin? Did you look like an acne-ridden teenager again? Did you notice thinning/other damage of your skin? etc etc?

Thanks! =)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've had issues with adult acne for as long as I can remember. I used Retin-A for a few months and noticed that it was a little bit better than what I was using before (Differin), but it's quite drying. It still didn't get rid of most of my acne. The only thing that really helped a lot was Accutane, but (in the US at least) you have to jump through hoops to get it if you're a woman of childbearing potential.

ETA: Never heard of Retin-A making you break out, since it's a treatment FOR acne...but I guess stranger things have happened. Also regarding the sun issue, put it on at night before you go to bed.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I have used Retin A. I did break out initially...but not again. Sun sensitivity is a big issue, though. Definitely wear sunscreen and wear hats!! It is very effective, though.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

I don't have acne at all, I get the occasional hormonal spot on my chin or cheek some months. I have a bit of mild pigmentation going on, on my forehead which I am guessing is down to living in Oz for the past 6 years. I never had it before I moved here and it's quite shocking how quickly it's come on over the past few years. I have fair Irish skin, I'm not super fair or redhead etc, but it takes me months, if even, to tan and generally my skin a nice pasty shade of white most of the time :angryfire: so I use good self tanners etc. from time-to-time to sort that rather than sit in the sun here and ruin my skin, but day-to-day general pottering about even with factor 30 on will damage your skin here as the Aussie sun is so strong..

I bought the Retin-A to start counteracting the pigmentation on my forehead and some fine lines on my face and such (I've just turned 36 with pretty good skin, but I am showing ageing lines around my eyes and forehead) but I have read some reports on line (typically after I bought the cream) that after an initial break out, a lot of users end up with very flakey, red skin and a thinning of the skin too... Whilst I wouldn't mind slightly easing those pesky lines on my forehead (although I know it won't actually get rid of them) I'm a little worried this cream might end up doing more harm than good. I dunno, maybe I should just go and chat to my doc...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I used retin a for acne for about 18 years. From the time I was around 20 until shortly before I turned 40. With the exception of when I was pregnant, I was using it during that time.

i stopped using it because I no longer have acne and my skin became sensative to it and got really red and irritated.

However, now at age 42, I have VERY few wrinkles. And I'm sure it was from all those years of using retin a. If my skin could handle it, I would still use it.

I think it was a combo of retin a and because of the retin a, I was super careful about sunscreen. I still am very careful about sunscreen.

I had a dermatologist tell me that sunscreen is the best way to prevent wrinkles.

I don't think there is any harm in trying it as long as you use sunscreen. It does make your skin red at first until you get use to it. But for me, the redness stopped going away so I had to stop using it.

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
I've used Retin-A for about two years (I'm 26) with no problems, except for some occasional dry skin. I use it to resurface skin and prevent fine lines/aging. I am very sun conscious and haven't noticed any additional susceptibility to sunburn. I live in Perth, so a daily SPF 30+ is mandatory for me, including my hands, arms and chest. I also wear driving gloves to prevent prolonged sun exposure.

For me, the best way to use it is in conjunction with an AHA product. So, I use a 15% AHA on night 1, Retin-A on night 2, and a simple moisturiser (QV products work very well) on night 3, and repeat the cycle.

Aside from a very slight frown line (which I get Botoxed out - I know, ridiculous), my skin is pretty much perfect. It is completely smooth with no small lumps or bumps on the surface, and I very rarely get acne. Retin-A, AHAs and suncream are the best things I've ever done for my skin.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I have used that strength for nearly 20 years now and I'm really happy with it.
I'm pasty white and I don't/can't tan so I'm sun sensitive and wear SPF 70 year round.
You cannot use this and skip out on sunscreen ever, it does make you photosensitive.
It thins the epidermis but actually thickens the dermis.
Some people experience reddening at first and peeling, but if you can get past that stage and it works for your skin then it's a great product, I wouldn't be without it.

On a side note, there's no "cure" for acne to date, Accutane can be effective in some people for symptom control but it's not without potential severe side effects. I have however seen pretty dramatic results on patients with severe cystic acne that is causing deformity.

Sunscreen is probably the best skin care you can use these days for preventing wrinkles and aging pigmentation.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use it along with a clinical wash to keep my skin clear and I wear sunscreen. I have been using it for almost a year after I started having breakouts in my 40's. I have found if I apply it over my night time moisturizer it doesn't have that same drying effect. Yes, after I first started using it I did breakout in areas I don't normally breakout in... but overall after the beginning and learning to best way to apply I have been very happy with the results. I live in Florida and I am in the sun all the time but haven't had an issue with SPF 30 on my face.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I have used it for about 5 years (except during pregnancies). It's expensive bc my insurance doesn't cover the scrpit. It runs me about $95/tube BUT it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it.

I do have occaional adult acne--nothing too bad but in my opinion ANYTHING is awful. When you 1st start using it most people will break out worse for a little while but that is because it brings everything that is below your skin to the surface. After the initial break out your skin should be clearer than ever. If I stop using it for a while, I break out again when I restart. It works wonders though for clearing acne. My skin is smooth, clear, and bright!

Another reason I love it is how it smooths my skin. I am 34 and I do not have any lines or wrinkles yet. It is amazing. It really works. I have tried so many creams-expensive and cheap-and NOTHING works like prescription strength retina-A.

If your skin is too sensitive you do not need to use it every day. Try every other day ot every 3rd day. Also, it says that you will be more sensitive in the sun but I don't notice that personally. I do go out in the sun (I have kids so we use the pool/beach iften in the summer) and I do get tan in the summer but I make it a habit to wear a sunscreen on my face atleast. I know I should use sunblock everywhere but I love how a tan looks on me. :sun:

I do love retina-A. I have nothing but great things to say about it. It works. It honestly works. It's one of the only creams proven to actually help prevent/minimize wrinkles and fine lines. There are many studies that back this up too but I say the proof is in the pudding nd it works for me!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't have acne, this is probably not the product for you. You can use it for wrinkle treatment but it doesn't sound to me like you really need it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP -- I agree with several of the other posters who advised that Retin-A would not be the best product if what you wish to treat is hyperpigmentation and fine wrinkles.

Years ago I (California girl) also had a brown splotch on my forehead - at first it was barely noticeable but then it progressively became deeper in color, so I visited a dermatologist who prescribed a prescription-strength hydroquinone-based topical product. I used it for a couple of months and then my medical insurance expired so I switched to an over-the-counter (weaker) version. I applied it at night before bedtime. I already was using SPF 15 daily but switched to SPF 30 and also took to wearing hats if I was going to be outdoors for more than 30 minutes. It took a couple of years but the brown splotch went away and has never come back.

If I were you, I'd up the SPF to 45 and wear a hat when outdoors. Hyperpigmentation (melasma) can also present as a result of hormonal imbalance so if you are taking birth control medication or other hormonal medications or if it's been a while since you've had a full exam I'd suggest visiting your M.D.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use it. You really need to be careful with the sun while using it. I only use it at bed time and a small amount. You do break out in the beginning like everyone says but it helped me.

eta: I am not sure if it helps w/fine lines; I hear it does but honestly I wouldn't use it in the summer because it can create lines too since it makes your skin more sensitive to burn hence more lines.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Dr gave it to me for sunspots/hyperpigmentation and wrinkles. It worked GREAT! The only problem was that it really dried me out. Use lots of sunscreen and moisturizer!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used Retin A for about 15 years. I am 51-52 in about three months and I have very few wrinkles. It also works great for the nasal
fold thingys. Consistency is the key and exfoliating. It can be drying but I welcome it. It means that your cells are turning over.

My skin is not sensitive to it anymore but I do wear sunscreen. Here in the states the cheapest place I have found to buy it is Costco.
A tube is about 50 bucks and last me 6 months at least. It is a ton cheaper than buying all the high priced products and works so much better!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the above comments guys.

I have decided for the moment to hold off on using the cream. I used to have moderate to sometimes severe adult acne which cleared up (thankfully) on it's own about 12 months ago, my skin is generally pretty clear now and I love that, so to be honest the idea of having a big breakout for a few weeks (like a lot of Retin-A users report) doesn't really appeal to me at all, even if it is just temporary. Also I am concerned about how photo-sensitive it makes your skin. I really wanted to try it to see, if in a year's time (which again I have heard is about the time you need to wait to see proper results) the mild wrinkles on my forehead would have diminished ~ if even a teeny tad and go some way to help prevent new wrinkles in the future. However, I have an appointment set up with a very good dermatologist in a few weeks so I'll wait to chat to him about all options with or without Retin A. Like us all I think I forget we all over-exaggerate our flaws when most people around us only see half of what we think is a big issue. I'm going to stick to the factor 30+ everyday and just take decent care of my skin without putting anything too mad chemical on it and see what the doc says.

Thanks though again for all the great feedback, has given me excellent food for thought =)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
You might want to try botox for the wrinkles. I also hear good things about frownies.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
heraanderson thanks - Botox is an area I'd find difficult to go to, once you start I can't see how you can stop. They're mad about Botox here in Sydney (like a lot of other places now I guess) I think it's rare to see someone with it done well. Fillers seem a tad less extreme to me. Never say never though - how the heck did I suddenly turn 36? I was 26 only 2 minutes ago... ageing sucks *boooooooooo* :angryfire:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
ame|1315315889|3010628 said:
If you don't have acne, this is probably not the product for you. You can use it for wrinkle treatment but it doesn't sound to me like you really need it.

It's actually indicated for hyperpigmentation too, not just acne! A lot of women use it for things like melasma (facial hyperpigmentation that develops during pregnancy).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm asian and not sensitive to sun. But Retin-A made me super sensitive! I have sunspots under my eyes now, and I didn't expect to get those until my 40s. You have to wear real sunscreen every day, not moisturizer with sunscreen in it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results