shape
carat
color
clarity

Restoration Hardware and High Quality Furniture

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that's a shame. My sofa is (still) excellent!

My tastes have changed, so it's a good excuse to buy something vastly different lol! But it's not so easy to find a large enough table & 8 chairs that are super sturdy and not crazy expensive. I also don't want fabric chairs this time, they get so stained. But leather can be really pricey.

Poppet

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have experience with Restoration Hardware's quality? I like their style, but unsure of how it will hold up over time as it doesn't appear to be super high quality.

Are there any other furniture stores or brands that have a similar style, but higher quality?

Would I be better off hiring an interior designer to get access to custom, wholesale furniture with better quality and value?

Hi everyone, I am another one of those quiet observers who sincerely appreciates the knowledge shared on this site. I never the imagined my first post on PS would be about furniture. Nevertheless, here I am. In my search to find quality leather furniture, I came across a furniture forum that provides a lot of good information. Mainly, about leather furniture. The forum is, my furniture forum (all one word). It is affiliated with the store owner's website, but the forum is competely separate from the store. The forum founder is extremely knowledgeable. I actually found it by reading a post on Houzz.

If you are looking for info about PB, and RH, there was a link on the furniture forum a few months ago, that takes you to an article about both companies.

As for my personal experience, I will be joining the Bradington Young furniture club this Sat. Finally!

I hope this info is helpful. I have been looking to contribute in a way that is helpful to someone else, as everyone on this site has been to me:)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Poppet that forum helped me to find some good couches too! I also went with Bradington Young, and am very happy with the quality. I don't live anywhere near the owner's home state, but we happened to be on a road trip down his way so I stopped in. Unfortunately he is correct in that his store isn't big and he can't display a whole lot, so it was less helpful than I'd hoped. He didn't have anything on the floor that I was interested in. Still, it was cool to stop in and put a face to the knowledge.

Enjoy your new furniture!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
To eco the other recommendations Bradington Young is quite nice, as well as Hancock and Moore which in my mind is the best for leather furniture (ouch, but so expensive!). Another option is COCOCO home, which we just ordered a leather couch from. Everything was endlessly customizable, made in USA, and they guarantee the frame of the couch. We ended up going with something very similar to what's available at RH (a super deep couch, so comfortable).

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
yes i love my bradington-young sectional , enjoy your new piece!
I would love to find a recliner/glider with a back that is tall enough for dh. We tried one from BY when we got the couch, super comfy but too short to support his neck & head.
( I think he needs a 45" tall one but I can't find any that are both a recliner & glider... )

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve actually never purchased anything from RH but I’ve had my furniture for years and they survived three house moves and daily use from us. These are the brands I have that some would consider “high quality”.
My bedroom and dining room are from Ethan Allen and I’ve had them for 19 years. Surprisingly they seem to be somewhat current with the times and they have held up really well.
My study desk and chair are from Hooker Furniture and at first I was going to get rid of them when we were moving. Then I mentioned to my friend I was going to get rid of them and she told me I was crazy and to just keep it. So I have them for now. It doesn’t really match the house but it looks okay to me for now.
My son and one daughter’s room are from Pottery Barn and some Pali USA. My other daughter‘s set is all Young America by Stanley Furniture. We’ve had that set for 14 years.
The TV stand and shelves are from Pottery Barn, I have coffee tables from Ethan Allen and my kitchen table is from Crate Barrel. All anywhere from 9- 13 years old.
I have other brands but I’m not mentioning them bc they wouldn’t be considered high quality. But I do have to mention my sofa in my family room which is 14 years old and from Macy’s. The brand is Bernhardt- chocolate velvet and leather and the most luxurious feel. Everyone falls asleep on it, including my cats. Stains lift off easily and I’ve stripped it myself and washed it and dried it. It’s held up really really well.
I have to say that everything has lasted and nothing has broken. The furniture feels very solid to me. Even when the movers came they mentioned to me that they underestimated the cost to move bc the furniture I had was “real” wood and therefore heavier. One guy even said to me that they don’t make pieces like this anymore when he was lifting my bed set. So of course when they did the final estimate they ended up charging me more.
Hence another reason why I’m hesitant to get rid of my furniture for something else. Just bc I know it’s good furniture.
I think when I purchase my sectional for the family room I will probably buy something from west elm or Macy’s bc they have styles I like and they are separated pieces so I can add here and there. I don’t want to spend a lot on it though bc of my cats. They scratch up everything.

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This got me thinking about what I spend money on, wrt my furniture. The bed. Sturdy captain's bed with 6 drawers in home A and a mattress I tried out like I was the princess and the pea. I do everything in bed. Watch TV, eat, sleep, work...

At home B (brothel), I again spent the most on my bed. The frame had to be easy to assemble and carry up stairs by myself. It is wonderful walnut. The mattress is cheap but comfortable. Ironically, I spend most of my time in the brothel on my sofa. Eat, nap, watch TV, work... it was on super clearance at macys and I always think about @JPie and our mutual love of hooters when im on it.

I have cats so my furniture needs to be durable but not priced so high that when theyre seniors or im a senior that can't hold it, it won't be so devastating to replace.

And why am I writing this post when im on the verge of GBCPS every day? Cuz it is 3:22AM and im still awake. FML...

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the great recommendations! After some self style discovery, I think I picked out everything I want, which ended up being mostly Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn. Their style fit the aesthetic I was looking for the best. I wanted to buy from a few other highly recommended retailers, but didn't like their pieces. I think the quality will be fine.

Part of me still is debating if I should go with a professional, independent interior designer to get access to custom "trade only" pieces, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It could definitely help elevate my style, but I'm also not sure how much value they would add. I worked with probably 7 in-house designers from different retailers and for the most part, I didn't like their recommendations. I'm not sure if it's because they were limited in they only used that retailers' inventory and/or didn't "get" the aesthetic I was going for.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Part of me still is debating if I should go with a professional, independent interior designer to get access to custom "trade only" pieces, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It could definitely help elevate my style, but I'm also not sure how much value they would add. I worked with probably 7 in-house designers from different retailers and for the most part, I didn't like their recommendations. I'm not sure if it's because they were limited in they only used that retailers' inventory and/or didn't "get" the aesthetic I was going for.

I would get an interior design professional if you can afford it. A number of them work by the hour, so you can buy a couple hours' worth of time instead of committing to a super expensive project. For RH, you won't get any discount by going through a pro, RH membership pricing is more competitive than the designer discount. BUT, I think the value of them is that they can help you measure your space and do furniture layouts, which IMO is so hard and very worth it. 5" can make a big difference in the room in terms of couch size, but makes very little difference in terms of seating space.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results