shape
carat
color
clarity

Restoration Hardware and High Quality Furniture

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have experience with Restoration Hardware's quality? I like their style, but unsure of how it will hold up over time as it doesn't appear to be super high quality.

Are there any other furniture stores or brands that have a similar style, but higher quality?

Would I be better off hiring an interior designer to get access to custom, wholesale furniture with better quality and value?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My leather sofas are from RH. We have had them for about 8 years and they have held up well. The leather is soft and it has an aged feel so scratches and scuffs don't really show.

I also have a few display cabinets and dining chairs from RH. The cabinets are still nice and solid after about 6 years. We rarely use the dining room so those chairs are fine too.

My coffee table in my living room is from RH. It is SOLID and heavy. I got a similar style coffee table for my lakehouse from Pottery Barn. The RH one is nicer and higher quality.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My leather sofas are from RH. We have had them for about 8 years and they have held up well. The leather is soft and it has an aged feel so scratches and scuffs don't really show.

I also have a few display cabinets and dining chairs from RH. The cabinets are still nice and solid after about 6 years. We rarely use the dining room so those chairs are fine too.

My coffee table in my living room is from RH. It is SOLID and heavy. I got a similar style coffee table for my lakehouse from Pottery Barn. The RH one is nicer and higher quality.

Years ago I got tons of curtain rods cabinet hardware and light switch covers from there Also one rug. they were extremely nice. when we sold the house the people that bought our house wanted to keep the rods and that particular rug. They wanted the one we had on the wall until they realized how much it was....lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always found RH's furniture to be of good quality. We have had sofas from them and chairs from them and a coffee table from them as well as sheets and rugs. I have always been pleased with the quality. Though I have not bought anything from them for a few years now so cannot speak to their current situation.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Have you checked out Room and Board? I've had two sofas from there and they're excellent, and made in the USA. The first one lasted me ten years and I only got rid of it because I bought a bigger version.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to buy furniture by touching it. Now that covid makes it more difficult to shop in person, I don't buy anything without reading reviews, especially the negative ones.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh i Iove the look of their tables & chairs but never bought any because I wonder about the quality. (I was kind of surprised that most of the tables they list as "marble" are only marble veneer. Makes me a bit suspicious about the other items tbh)

We are very hard on our furniture; our dining room set is literally on its last legs & no longer repairable. So we need something big enough for 8 & very sturdy.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! We also have some furniture from Room & Board, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, and West Elm. I'd rank the quality in that order.

I'm hesitant regarding Restoration Hardware since my friend said their outdoor furniture fell apart after 2 years. I've also been to their galleries and after touching the furniture, I'm not sure if it's solid wood, or painted cheaper wood or veneer. I really like their style though.

Do you guys have a recommendation for the ACA of furniture? I'm looking to redo the entire house, so I'm looking for quality, performance, yet stylish pieces that will last a decade or more.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys have a recommendation for the ACA of furniture? I'm looking to redo the entire house, so I want to quality, performance, yet stylish pieces that will last a decade or more.

I bought many pieces from ABC carpet and home in NYC. Excellent quality. However I cannot speak to the current situation as it has been a while since I bought from them. If they are the same as they were years ago they are a good choice IMO. Read the reviews and see what you think. I believe they are also online.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the feedback! We also have some furniture from Room & Board, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, and West Elm. I'd rank the quality in that order.

I'm hesitant regarding Restoration Hardware since my friend said their outdoor furniture fell apart after 2 years. I've also been to their galleries and after touching the furniture, I'm not sure if it's solid wood, or painted cheaper wood or veneer. I really like their style though.

Do you guys have a recommendation for the ACA of furniture? I'm looking to redo the entire house, so I'm looking for quality, performance, yet stylish pieces that will last a decade or more.

Honestly for top of the line go custom. You can find plenty of custom shops that will build whatever you want out of whatever you want. We have an amazing wood furniture place near us, I drool over their custom tables and built ins. When we buy a home it's where we will go for our kitchen/dining table and chairs. Solid things that are built to last.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Wish that was available here bec it sounds like a great option!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A lot of our furniture comes from Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams. Not the biggest selection each season but it is all very durable and is American-made, if that's important to you. My husband is approximately the size of a giant and breaks a lot of furniture through normal use but none of our MGBW stuff has been damaged.

Baker is also supposed to be really good but I don't have anything by them:

I have a console table by Century Furniture that I'm quite impressed with but I bought it secondhand and I've never seen anything else by them.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly for top of the line go custom. You can find plenty of custom shops that will build whatever you want out of whatever you want. We have an amazing wood furniture place near us, I drool over their custom tables and built ins. When we buy a home it's where we will go for our kitchen/dining table and chairs. Solid things that are built to last.
Now you're holding out on me. This is BS cuz you take me to places like chic fil - A and Ikea. Eat a chicken nugget she says. You're lucky Im a germ phobe or I'd drive over to your place and make you cook for me and show me the wood.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
we have a slipcovered belgian linen oversized sofa and matching chair from them. very heavy and solid very well built to be quite robust and durable. it requires the both of us to move it around to rearrange. have had them for 10 years and no problems. very generous dimensions and proportions, some refer to it as california sized furniture. dont have any case goods from them. hope that helps.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Another die hard fan of Room & Board! Their delivery service is amazing too.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now you're holding out on me. This is BS cuz you take me to places like chic fil - A and Ikea. Eat a chicken nugget she says. You're lucky Im a germ phobe or I'd drive over to your place and make you cook for me and show me the wood.

It's such nice wood too

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE RH - I used to drive all over and go to their outlets! I have a Mitchell Gold leather sofa and ottoman that looks beautiful! I have had it for probably 16 years. I have recently found Chamberland's leather milk that makes the leather look like butter!

dameisers

Rough_Rock
My sister is an Interior Designer in Chicago and she loves RH, Arhaus and Interior Define. She knows I love the PB casual look, but am a stickler for quality. She suggested those three brands for my search until I can narrow it down and get her discount!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh I had awful experience with arhaus ; and I wasn't the only one based on compliments on their fb page.

dameisers

Rough_Rock
Ooh I had awful experience with arhaus ; and I wasn't the only one based on compliments on their fb page.

I’m sorry you had to deal with that. Their build time is pretty long for what I was considering and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable buying without viewing.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I just discovered Studio McGee and Lexi Westergard and I am obsessed! I like their mix and match style (vs. RH is very matchy matchy sometimes).

Does anyone have experience with McGee & Co furniture? It's so hard to know what quality is like without seeing the furniture in person. They also have a Target line.

I feel like my design aesthetic has evolved over the years and even recently. I'm learning I don't necessarily love the all white, grey, and neutral antique, rustic aesthetic. It can look too washed out. I like a clean, comfortable, mixed look... I'd like to have RH quality furniture at a bare minimum (if not higher quality), so I may have to emulate the look/style with higher end pieces.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! Since I'm not super familiar with all of these brands, could you help rank them in terms of quality? 1 being IKEA/Target and 10 being super high end ACA level?

Below is my perceived ranking, based on limited experience and pricing.

1 - IKEA
1 - Target
3 - West Elm
5 - Pottery Barn
5 - Arhaus
6 - Restoration Hardware
7 - Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams
7 - Studio McGee
8 - Crate & Barrel
8 - Room & Board
10 - Custom???

Where would ABC and Baker fall? Or Ethan Allen? Thanks!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! Since I'm not super familiar with all of these brands, could you help rank them in terms of quality? 1 being IKEA/Target and 10 being super high end ACA level?

Below is my perceived ranking, based on limited experience and pricing.

1 - IKEA
1 - Target
3 - West Elm
5 - Pottery Barn
5 - Arhaus
6 - Restoration Hardware
7 - Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams
7 - Studio McGee
8 - Crate & Barrel
8 - Room & Board
10 - Custom???

Where would ABC and Baker fall? Or Ethan Allen? Thanks!!

Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams as well as Baker are definitely both far, far above Crate and Barrel. I have no experience with Room and Board but ime Crate and Barrel furniture is... not great, really.

My ranking here of the brands I am familiar with would be:

1. Target
2. Ikea
3. West Elm
4. Crate and Barrel
5. Arhaus
6. Pottery Barn
7. Restoration Hardware
8. Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams
9. Baker

Custom can be almost anywhere along the scale depending on who you go to. It can be better, but it can also be not very good.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love Baker & Century furniture. Such a shame Drexel Heritage and Henredon are no longer--but for vintage pieces. Outstanding furniture.

Schnadig has good quality pieces.

cheers--Sharon

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
We have a sectional from bradington- young that seems to be very high quality & incredibly comfortable. Not sure what other furniture they manufacture though.

Stickley-Audi manufacturers furniture that seems well built & they have a wide variety of styles.

Oddly enough, I went into a RH outlet a few years back & the furniture seemed a lot lower quality than the store's items. I am not sure why.

As far as Schnadig, my dining room set is from them & did not hold up.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My style probably isn’t what you‘re looking for but I have Baker, Stickley, Henkel Harris...I also have Ethan Allen couches which i bought many years ago and still holding up.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your style @MamaBee! Most of my really nice furniture are antique pieces. Upholstered pieces are new though, as are any piece that I don't have time to hunt down the perfect antique.

I agree though, any room done in all furniture from a specific vendor or is too matchy is a snoozefest. Character in a room is so important.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a sectional from bradington- young that seems to be very high quality & incredibly comfortable. Not sure what other furniture they manufacture though.

Stickley-Audi manufacturers furniture that seems well built & they have a wide variety of styles.

Oddly enough, I went into a RH outlet a few years back & the furniture seemed a lot lower quality than the store's items. I am not sure why.

As far as Schnadig, my dining room set is from them & did not hold up.

Oh that's a shame. My sofa is (still) excellent!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love your style @MamaBee! Most of my really nice furniture are antique pieces. Upholstered pieces are new though, as are any piece that I don't have time to hunt down the perfect antique.

I agree though, any room done in all furniture from a specific vendor or is too matchy is a snoozefest. Character in a room is so important.

Thank you @Gussie! That’s a compliment coming from you..Your home is magazine worthy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results