shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing Titanium Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So I just got a titanium wedding ring in July, and it''s 3 3/4, which normally fits fine. But this ring is 6mm wide, and what with finger swelling and such, it is just NOT comfortable. I could send it back to the company, but it could take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to send it back and have them resize it, which I really don''t want to do. So, does anyone know of any jewelers here in Virginia that can help me size this ring up a little? Or does anyone have some alternative options so I don''t have to be without my wedding ring for so long? Thanks in advance!

*M*

Scott Mackey

Rough_Rock
Yep a 6mm ring does fit a little tighter than a typical width for a ladies ring.

Typically in this situation you will need to do a size exchange with the company you purchased the ring from. Most companies have a ring size exchange program for titanium since titanium is not malleable and you can not resize the ring.

There is a quicker option. You could have a local jeweler mill out the inside with certain jewelers tools. That could increase the size of the ring and could be done in just a couple days. I would look in the phone book for a gold smith. This possibly will void your warranty with the company that you purchased it from so be careful. This would be the quickest and easiest fix for you. If you need more information on this just let me know.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! When I contacted the company they said that they in fact do mill out the inside of the ring, and since I have an engraving on the inside they could just redo the engraving after they had fixed the size of it. It will void the warranty if I have it resized elsewhere, but I am willing to go that route in order to have it resized since I don''t want to get it back later and still have it fit incorrectly. I didn''t know goldsmiths could work with titanium as well, so I will definitely look a few up in my area. Thank you again for your help!

*M*

Scott Mackey

Rough_Rock
You are welcome!

Gold smiths don't usually work with titanium as far as creation of new rings since you need certain machines to make it. But they can do limited work as far as milling, engraving and polishing on titanium.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So could the goldsmith that resized the ring also re-engrave it for me too? I should have asked that earlier, I''m sorry. Although I do see you mentioned that goldsmiths are capable of engraving... I just know that titanium is kind of a different beast!

*M*

Scott Mackey

Rough_Rock
Although different like you said, titanium can still be engraved by the etching machine that goldsmiths use. This will show up as a regular style engraving. My favorite however is laser engraving. Laser engraving shows up black and it does not penetrate the surface as far as the regular etching machine does. I love the two tone look of the black engraving against the gray metal. Not many gold smiths have a laser engraver, but most all have a regular etching machine that can engrave titanium. The goldsmith might charge you more for engraving titanium as it will wear down the bit on the etcher faster than gold will. Also he might charge more based on the grade of titanium. Aircraft grade is a bit tougher than CP2 (commercially pure grade 2) that is common in titanium jewelry. If I were you I would get a couple quotes before you choose the jeweler that will work on the ring.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I will be sure to get different quotes as you said, and thank you so much for your help. My ring is not laser engraved, although that sounds beautiful, so maybe when I get it re-engraved I will try that! Thanks!

*M*

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
The titanium ring should be able to be stretched a quarter to a half size. Although jewelers could do it with their equipment, they probably won't know that or would feel uncomfortable doing so.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t you order the ring in a bigger size and return the first one? 6-8 weeks is not too long to wait if it is right at the end, better than a shaved down ring in my opinion.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 10:16:53 AM
Author: Pyramid
Can''t you order the ring in a bigger size and return the first one? 6-8 weeks is not too long to wait if it is right at the end, better than a shaved down ring in my opinion.
I could send the original ring back, but what they do is shave downt the inside of the original ring to make it bigger. If I ordered the new one their would be no point in sending back the first because they don''t remake the ring. And their office is located in Canada, so it has to go to Washington, and then every week or two weeks, they send the received mail up to Canada. After that it has to go to the workshop and they said it would take at least another two weeks to even get to it. Not to mention I am in Virginia, so it will probably take almost a week to get to Washington. I figure why bother waiting for weeks and weeks to get my ring back when I could just go downtown and have it made like a quarter size bigger? Plus I am very weird about having my wedding ring. I keep it on ALL the time, so I would hate to be without it. Odd, I know.

*M*

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
As I mentioned, titanium rings can be stretched with normal jewelers ring stretchers. I do it all the time. It doesn''t even affect the engraving, and the wall thickness doesn''t have to be ground down. If the ring is aerospace grade or commercially pure titanium, it works fine in either case. It just takes more effort than a gold ring. The only issues would be if the ring is cast or has grooves in it, where it won''t be as strong as if it were cut from bar stock without grooves.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard that they can be stretched, but I am also fine with them milling down the inside. It''s pretty subsantial, and it would look fine if that''s what they did. My only concern is finding a goldsmith that is willing/able to do it, since I really don''t want to have to send it back in if it can be avoided.

*M*

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
If the jewelers balk, which they might being that they probably won''t have much experience messing with titanium, I''d be happy to do either method for you as well. I normally do it the same day at no charge. You would just pay shipping.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I might have to do that, depending on how this all turns out.

*M*

Scott Mackey

Rough_Rock
Stretching the ring is also a good idea. Since titanium has a memory it seems that it would eventually form back to its original size. If there is plenty of thickness on the ring milling could be a more permanent solution. Either way would be fine.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I definitely need it to be permanent, because I don''t want to have to get another ring down the road.

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results