shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nashalmaz

Rough_Rock
As many of the other posts on here, I have to introduce myself as "long time lurker first time poster"..
My dilemma can be described as "finding the perfect ring for someone who doesn''t wear rings".
I would like to order a e-ring for my wonderful girlfriend of (almost) 4 years.
The problem (one of many) is that I don''t know her exact size. I would borrow one of her rings to find out the size, if she only had any..
I got some help from one of our friends who got her to try on some jewelry while they were shopping at the mall, you know, "just for fun". Under that pretext they measured her ring finger, but they only had .5 size "test rings" or whatever you call them. I know that a 6.5 ring will easily fit her finger and a 6 barely will fit, but was very difficult to take off.
From that, I believe that her ring size is 6.25, but I''m not certain.
At this point I can''t find out any more details without ruining the potential surprise.
I know there are a few online retailers that will resize for free within a month and a half, or two months (including Blue Nile and James Allen).

So after that long setup, here are my questions.
How much would it cost to resize a ring at most (quality) Jewelry stores?
It will be a ring holding a stone around 1 ct (or slightly under) with side stones in a pave or channel setting.
Are there any sure signs of rings that cannot be resized? (ex: diamonds all around the band?)
Is it significantly more expensive to resize up, than down?
Or rather, should I just go ahead and get the 6.5 which i''m 100% certain will fit, but may be slightly larger, or the 6.25 which should fit, but there is a chance that it may have to be resized to 6.5?
Are there any online vendors that offer free or low cost resizing several months after the purchase?
Given my concerns, would it be worth it to buy the diamond online and get it set locally?

Thank You

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it really is a case by case situation. some designers will resize their rings for free for life. There are even some jewelers who wil resize rings for free if you purchase from them. Others will charge a fee which can range but I would think $50 would be about average to size one ring. What setting do you have in mind? If you post a link we can give you an idea of how easily it can be sized. I think the 6.25 sounds about right though.

nashalmaz

Rough_Rock
Maybe something similar to this

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_5338?metal_filter=white&setting_filter=sidestone&sort_select=LTHP&show_all_pages=1&set_shape=#

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:25:32 PM
Author: nashalmaz
Maybe something similar to this

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_5338?metal_filter=white&setting_filter=sidestone&sort_select=LTHP&show_all_pages=1&set_shape=#

Well, you don''t want to size pave rings very much and not at all if you don''t have to. But, as long as it isn''t full eternity it should be able to be sized a tiny bit if you ordered a 6.25 and it''s too big or too small.

nashalmaz

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

I spoke with a local jeweler about this and he said that this shouldn''t even be on my list of concerns unless I''m getting an eternity band with diamonds all around.

Most likely I will order the diamond online and get the ring custom made locally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results