shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
H

hlpkaixin3344

Hello! I was wondering if it was possible to size down a ring from an 8 to a 3.75 band size? I would like to (someday) use my great-grandmother's vintage ring as an engagement ring (for myself), but I'm afraid that sizing down 4.25 sizes is not going to happen. I tried googling the question with no luck and ran across this forum, so any help would be appreciated!

It's platinum, circa late 1930s-early 1940s, multiple diamonds (various sizes), with a fair amount of filigree. If pictures would help, let me know.

Thanks!
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pictures would help but really someone needs to see the ring. A size is a piece roughly 2.5mm from the circumference of the ring so your project will involve removing a piece about 10mm long. That’s quite a bit and it will change the curvature of the piece considerably. With some designs this can be a problem and with others it is no issue at all. In the end, almost anything is possible, it’s just that some are a little more work for the jeweler than others. I think it’s a terrific idea to use your grandmother’s ring and to keep it in the family as an heirloom.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

A

Anaïs

Thank you! I'll take it in eventually to get an opinion "irl," but seeing as there is no plans of an engagement in my near future this was mainly just to tide my curiosity over and see if I was perhaps setting my heart on something not even possible.

I think I finally got a picture attached, if that helps! (it is too big even for my thumb, have to use one of those plastic cap things to keep it on). The filigree starts, and continues, around the band after the last round diamonds on either side. I don't know that I would mind losing that as long as the ring fit nicely and the the setting didn't lose its integrity!

myvintangering.jpg

A

Anaïs

I tried to get a clear side view zoomed in to see the detail, but it seems to be to no avail. Here it is anyways:

sideviewofmyring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results