shape
carat
color
clarity

Resize platinum ring in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve seen this question posed a couple of times, but no recent answers. I live in NYC and bought a Sholdt Fremont Solitaire ring from Pearlman''s (in Michigan). The ring is a little large for my girlfriend (oops... fiancee), so we wanted to get it re-sized. We''re considering getting "shots" (the little balls on the bottom), but I''ve read that it''s a bit uncomfortable at first. Any thoughts or experiences?

I''m thinking it might be cleaner to get it resized, but I don''t know who in NYC we can take it to since we bought it from Michigan. There are two Sholdt resellers in NYC (Michael C. Fina and SoHo Gems) so I don''t know if I can go to them to get it resized, since I didn''t buy it from them.

And as silly as this sounds, it says "Sholdt" inside the ring, so I''d like to make sure they don''t cut that when they do re-size the ring.

I''d like to find an experienced ring resizer in NYC who has worked with platinum (and was told they should use a laser welder?). So would appreciate any recommendations.

Recommendations of shots vs. resizing?

Recommendations of NYC ring resizer, experienced with Platinum?

Thanks

p.s. pictures of the ring
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sholdt-fremont-solitaire.110087/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sholdt-fremont-solitaire.110087/

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The balls on the bottom of the ring are primarily for ladies who have a larger than normal knuckle.
I don;t recommend them for a standard re-size.

In your [position, I'd send the ring back to the place you bought it.
There are surely people in NYC that can do the job well- but there's a problem intrinsic in this for you.
How much can a place charge to re-size the ring?
$100?

I assume you have a lot more invested in this ring- and the guy doing the $100 job might not take the care you want or deserve.
If the original seller does it, they would seem to have to make sure you're satisfied.
I don;t like to have anyone touch our rings- there have been cases where our clients brought them to local people that , quite frankly, messed them up- then we have to fix it.
A common error is when the jeweler solders the platinum ring, instead of using the proper welding technology.

nydk2000

Rough_Rock
Walked around the diamond district this weekend with my GF. We went into Fifth Ave Jewelers and asked if they could resize or put shots into my fiance''s ring, and they referred us to a jewelry repair upstairs.

Met this really nice man named Koko, who took care of it for us. We also met another guy who was getting his ring resized which was done in 20 minutes. We had shots put in and it only took about 5 minutes.

We really liked him and plan to go back to him for any cleanings and setting repairs. If anyone else is looking for shots or resizing in NYC, I''d definitely suggest checking out Koko Jewelry Mfg.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
You are right about the laser welding. Do not accept any other method! If the place does not have the technology, move on and find one that does. Laser welding is the strongest and cleanest (no seam) of them all. You can watch videos on laser wleding jewelry on Youtube and read about it by doing searches on google etc... Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results