shape
carat
color
clarity

Resize or Replace Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PunkyB

Rough_Rock
I recently received my engagement ring, and I am a little concerned about the size. I was measured by a jeweler at 6.5, which is what my fiance bought. However, the ring is very loose on my finger (I can fling it off if I''m trying, and it comes close to slipping off when I wash my hands). I''m thinking I need to go down a quarter or half size - I don''t want it to be too small b/c the humid summer is coming up and my fingers are most likely going to swell!

My question is, will a jeweler usually reset the diamond in a brand new, smaller sized setting, or will they just offer to resize it for me for a resizing fee? It is within 30 days of the purchase date, which is the time period allowed for complete return/refund of the jewelry, and I''m really hoping that they will just switch it out for a smaller setting. Am I wrong in thinking that since we just bought it, they will trade it out for the same setting in a smaller size? I''m not sure what is "normal..."

It is a 2mm platinum 4-prong setting.

Thanks!

Punky

andrea

Shiny_Rock
My experience has always been that they'll re-size it. Instead of re-setting it.
If you're taking it back to the same place it was purchased from, more than likely, they'll do it for nothing.
If your concerned about it being too small (during the warm season) try getting (for lack of better words) one of those ring sizers you put in the bottom of the band.
And if it's still too big, with your hand swelled, then you'll know you need to have it re-sized. They may charge you then, since it'll be some time since you've had it.
But it sounds more like it's just too big.
My ring swirls, and swivels in the winter too, but I've never come close to losing it off of my finger.
Hope this helps.
2.gif

PunkyB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response, Andrea! I'm going to visit the jeweler today and see if they will resize it for me - I'm so nervous about the ring slipping off in the sink, and it's just not worth it to be worried about it every time I wash my hands.

frizzy_dt

Rough_Rock
Most places will resize for free if you bought the ring from them.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Punky!

Sounds like the ring is just too big. Could be your finger was a tad larger when you were sized. Maybe the barometric pressure was up or down that day, you were excited and hands were warm, whatever. And, now that you have the ring, and relaxed, your finger is smaller.

You said Plat set. Definitely get to that jeweler within your time period. Plat costs more to resize either way you go than gold does. Within the 30 day period, they should do it for free as a courtesy of the purchase.
1.gif

PunkyB

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I took my ring to the jeweler today, and they resized my ring for me at no charge. I was surprised when I was measured at a 5.75 since I had originally measured at a 6.5! I have the ring back tonight and it fits very well, which makes me feel so much better!
wacko.gif

Punky

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got it all fixed, Punky! No worse feeling than being able to move suddenly or shake your hand and fling that ring off. Been there, done that. Fortunately, I was at home when my ring flew across the room and landed on carpet. You worry and constantly fidget with the ring every time you wear it.
wacko.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
When someone is measuring a finger size he is using some kinda of sizer as you know.
However there are many types of sizers out there and they differ a lot from each other, even
if your finger stays the same.

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results