shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting studs?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I should know this by now, I've been here a few months. :oops:

I have a pair of diamond studs that are.55 ctw, and bought them before I discovered PS (grumble, grumble, feeling of regret). They are .28 E SI1 and .27 F SI1 Canadian diamonds. Not H/A, but sparkly little mama's nonetheless. They are set in platinum, 3-prong settings that are just so darn high. They flop downward in my earlobes. I never liked the settings from the moment I picked them up, and should have said so before I paid the remainder, but didn't.

So my question is this. I'd like to have them reset, but am wondering who I should consider contacting. I'm Canadian, and so would have to send them across the border. Not too sure what that would involve. I'd hate to get stuck with taxes on the whole amount you know? Also, I rather like bezels (both e-rings are bezels - old and new). Any thoughts on who, and what other designs to consider?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why are you wanting to send them out? You can have them reset locally...Two options you have include having a mall jeweler take care of the details for you or having a jewelry repair place order the settings and having the stones mounted into them. The second of the two options is much less expensive AND you don't have to worry about shipping or taxes.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
ditto. and you can trade in your current mounts if you wanted a few bucks towards the new ones.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Bit 'o background. The local stuff is all roughly set, 3-prong martinis. My pair is from the best jeweller in town, and they are pretty poorly done. I would likely have to go after something custom, and their past work doesn't inspire confidence. If you have visited the malls we have here, you wouldn't be suggesting I take them there. :nono:

I would rather have them go to a place that can provide testimonials and pictures of past work.

Thanks anyway.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can your jeweler order stock mountings from stuller?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you go across the border to pick them up? I would just send them to ID Jewelry... unless you want bezels, which I'm not certain they do... then I'd send them to BGD.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh thank you slg47 and Gypsy :bigsmile: . Cannot go across the border, but perhaps I can get a local jeweller to order some settings, I'll ask. I sure do like BGD's bezels though. They look like the are set fairly low, and are beautifully done!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was having this issue with my earring and my jeweler gave me little plastic discs to place on before I put the back on... And it was amazing the difference. Could help until you decide what to do....for a short term fix. I love my settings my whimpy earlobes don't but this worked....now I love them again at no extra cost...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well who knew? I certainly didn't. Thanks Mayk, I'll go ask for some of those little dingies. My earlobes are not as (hmm how shall I say this?) firm as they used to be (among other things LOL). That may have something to do with it.

Nah, I'm gonna stick with the crappy setting story. :lol:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used the plastic discs and also there are VERY large metal backs that achieve this too - look on line.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results