shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting Costco princess diamond studs into side stones?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you remember the thread about Costco and princess cut studs..you know that some of us got a great deal on 1ctw princess diamond studs. They are beautiful and I love them but they are pretty small for my earlobes. I would love to use them as side stones in a three stone ring. I don’t want to pay tons for another diamond but am willing to consider a diamond if the price is right. What shape would be a good fit for the center stone. It wouldn’t be too big...maybe 1.25 if it’s a mrb or I can go with a princess cut...I don’t think that a cushion or an emerald cut would go. I could also do a colored stone in the middle. I would love ideas on what shape would look best with .50 each princess sides. Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a colored stone would be pretty...not sure what shape though. They dont do many colored stones in a princess cut.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'd stick with the same cut for the center, any kind of stone in princess shape might work.

Failing that, what about halo-ing them for more real estate? Since they're 'bonus' stones as it were, you might go very adventurous with color?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe oval center stone?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drop earrings would be nice; 15 pointers on the lobe, then the half ct drop, set on the cross. Very wearable and 1.3ctw - a pretty size! Halos, also, would give a good bump in size, and give a very classy look.

For a 3 stone ring, tho - anything above 1ct for s princess cut center would work, I think, but 1.5ct would be best. Because of the distinctive facet shape of a princess, I would ONLY do a princess in the middle, if a diamond. But if you were set on doing a ring, I would preferably do a colored stone, in which case a cushion would look lovely. Would have to be sizeable tho. The sides will need to look more like accent stones rather than a traditional 3 stone, or the different cut will look a bit 'off'. I wouldn't do a round as the very straight sides of the princess won't sit nicely against the curve of the round.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drop earrings would be nice; 15 pointers on the lobe, then the half ct drop, set on the cross. Very wearable and 1.3ctw - a pretty size! Halos, also, would give a good bump in size, and give a very classy look.
I change my vote.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo jackets or drops are a superb suggestion.
But if you are looking for a ring - I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out certain shapes/cutting for a center.
I think it really depends on the actual individual stone.
I don’t think every Asscher, radiant and cushion would look right next to a princess - to my tastes
But I think some could?
48956E85-C278-4206-B96C-9450AB0B5CEC.jpeg
This is a DBL radiant three stone but has sides with different cutting style that look similar to princesses - enough to see that I think I’d be ok with this pairing with this different cut center.
I’d be inclined to go with a colored stone center though.
All personal preferences tho!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a colored stone would be pretty...not sure what shape though. They dont do many colored stones in a princess cut.
Thank you @tyty333! I’m thinking maybe a colored cushion?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo jackets or drops are a superb suggestion.
But if you are looking for a ring - I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out certain shapes/cutting for a center.
I think it really depends on the actual individual stone.
I don’t think every Asscher, radiant and cushion would look right next to a princess - to my tastes
But I think some could?
48956E85-C278-4206-B96C-9450AB0B5CEC.jpeg
This is a DBL radiant three stone but has sides with different cutting style that look similar to princesses - enough to see that I think I’d be ok with this pairing with this different cut center.
I’d be inclined to go with a colored stone center though.
All personal preferences tho!
Thank you @Rfisher I love this! I think this could be pulled off with a cushion gemstone...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

For a 3 stone ring, tho - anything above 1ct for s princess cut center would work, I think, but 1.5ct would be best. Because of the distinctive facet shape of a princess, I would ONLY do a princess in the middle, if a diamond. But if you were set on doing a ring, I would preferably do a colored stone, in which case a cushion would look lovely. Would have to be sizeable tho. The sides will need to look more like accent stones rather than a traditional 3 stone, or the different cut will look a bit 'off'. I wouldn't do a round as the very straight sides of the princess won't sit nicely against the curve of the round.
Thank you @mrs-b I love the idea of the drop earrings...but I have a bunch of drops I never wear. I would enjoy it better looking down on my hand. I think a colored cushion would look nice...I know nothing about gemstones so that would be scary territory though..I agree that the princess cut stones should be thought of as accent stones...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd stick with the same cut for the center, any kind of stone in princess shape might work.

Failing that, what about halo-ing them for more real estate? Since they're 'bonus' stones as it were, you might go very adventurous with color?
Thank you @PreRaphaelite The princess diamond center is still in the run...I love halos but not in a princess..The diamonds are vs2 I color...I think if I went with princess diamonds I would do a g-h color because the princess diamond in the larger size would show more color.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to do straight edges adjacent to straight edges. Because of the princess pattern, I would do a 3 stone princess. Fun project.
Thank you @headlight..It could be a smaller scale three stone...:think:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Gosh lots to think about @Mamabean! Ironically I'm wearing my costcy princess studs today! I caught myself looking in the side mirror in the car to see the sparkle. So I think a ring is a GREAT idea! I love the idea of an H 1.25 to 1.5 ct diamond for a 3 stone. Or a gorgeous sapphire like the one @mrs-b found! This is a super fun project! :D

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
If you remember the thread about Costco and princess cut studs..you know that some of us got a great deal on 1ctw princess diamond studs. They are beautiful and I love them but they are pretty small for my earlobes. I would love to use them as side stones in a three stone ring. I don’t want to pay tons for another diamond but am willing to consider a diamond if the price is right. What shape would be a good fit for the center stone. It wouldn’t be too big...maybe 1.25 if it’s a mrb or I can go with a princess cut...I don’t think that a cushion or an emerald cut would go. I could also do a colored stone in the middle. I would love ideas on what shape would look best with .50 each princess sides. Thank you!
Hi Mamabean - I am actually thinking about doing the same thing. I recently purchased a .82 BGD N mrb, with the goal of eventually upgrading to a 1.5 M as a center stone. I am up in the air about using the princess cuts as the side stones, using my smaller K ACAs as the side stones, or maybe just keeping it as a solitaire. I have a while to think about it, so I am really interested to see what you end up with.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
I had considered doing the same so I gave some thought to what the center stone could be as well. My personal conclusion (for my own personal taste) was that it would have to be a princess cut or asscher in the middle. Unfortunately neither of those ideas appealed to me as something I would wear everyday nor as something that could work with my preferred aesthetic. So now my current plan (but liable to change) is to design a bypass (possibly open) moi et toi ring that could dress up or down easily. My two cents!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @bling_dream19 @snowballs mom
@alltheflorals
@bludiva
I think the diamonds are so pretty..but just a little too small. I’ve always loved princess cut diamonds...I really love all diamonds..:lol-2: I’m actually happy to have them as side stones and get something different for the main stone...I think I’ll have to do lots of looking at photos online to see what my options are. I love all your ideas. @snowballs mom..I love M color diamonds. I have a .40 light brown that I love. @alltheflorals Your idea of a bypass ring sounds fun..
If I went the diamond route..what color would anyone suggest I look for? The diamonds I have are I color.. @mrs-b What do you think? I was thinking H because a larger princess would display more color, right?
I would also love a cushion color in the center...but will have to see some photos to see if a cushion would go. I think it would but not sure.
@bludiva That’s a wonderful idea...You guys are great! Thank you!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a rectangle cushion cut and have the PC stones spun to make them more of a more of a kite.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with a colored stone. My color du jour is chrome tourmaline.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @bling_dream19 @snowballs mom
@alltheflorals
@bludiva
If I went the diamond route..what color would anyone suggest I look for? The diamonds I have are I color.. @mrs-b What do you think? I was thinking H because a larger princess would display more color, right?

I think an H would probably work. Sometimes there's quite a color gap between H and I, so you'd need to do a side-by-side. but on the whole, I'd be going for an H.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think an H would probably work. Sometimes there's quite a color gap between H and I, so you'd need to do a side-by-side. but on the whole, I'd be going for an H.
Thanks @mrs-b...I was thinking if I go the diamond route I could do a mini three stone. I saw a few online that were so sweet. I would have to figure out what size the center should be to keep it from trying to make it look like a traditional larger three stone....There wouldn’t be a big jump in size. :think: It would be more like a stacking band ring. One carat center or less?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would suggest a rectangle cushion cut and have the PC stones spun to make them more of a more of a kite.
Thanks @marcy! I love the rectangle cushion cut idea...I’m not a fan of kite settings..I even try to keep my princess studs straight in my ear.:P2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results