shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting a 3 stone to a 3 stone. Is it wasting?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think its crazy to change a 3 stone setting to another 3 stone setting? My current setting View attachment 757985 20200605_183206.jpg 20200605_183226 (1).jpg View attachment 757985 is a 3 stone with pears and I'm thinking of changing to a 3 stone with AVC/AVR sides. I love love love my ring but a 3 stone AVC is just calling my name. Am I nuts?? Should I spent the $$ on something else..AVC earrings or pendant? 20200605_162637.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous. If you are hoping to be discouraged from changing you are on the wrong forum lol! The new ring will have a different feel to it. The current is very “feminine”, and maybe you want something more “sophisticated” now. I totally get the desire for something new. I’ve changed many times. However, I also have had regret so do think long and hard. Maybe give yourself a time frame and if you are still wanting it after say, 6 mos, then pursue it. The desire may have passed by that point. I just don’t want you to have a regret. How long have you had this setting?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for bringing up regret.. have been there and do not want to go there again. I've had this setting since 2015 but it held a MRB that I was not in love with and so didn't wear it much. The AVC was just set last year in March. I still enjoy it and love it but browsing photos of AVCs are messing with me . I am in love KristyDarlings ring!! 1591410240143.png
Packrats gorgeous gorgeous bezeled 3 stone.
1591410446183.png

1591410523750.png

And then, some part of me says.... but you still love your ring

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get where you're coming from ... but, best rule, when in doubt, don't ... since you still love your ring and you aren't sure about changing, stay with it for a while and see where you end up by end of summer or so ...

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If you love your ring and the next setting is calling your name.....in this situation: use a coin toss to help you decide.

one side of coin=keep
Other side= change.

flip the coin....

when it lands- listen to your inner voice- what does it say? That is your answer....

If no inner voice- whatever it lands on is your answer.
if you didn’t like the answer—- then you have your answer.

Or get another 3 stone made and you can start a collection.

So much fun.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it wasting what? I ask because you can keep your pear setting and save it in case you need a new look in the future. Or you can minimize the waste of money by selling it. I don’t think it’s a waste. I love swapping out my settings. Some people spend the same amount on high-end handbags as I do on settings. The handbags sit in the closet and take up space. My settings sit in a tiny little box. So it’s not a waste of space. If you can afford it and really want to do it, it will look gorgeous! And every time you look at your ringer (lol) you will not think it’s a waste! I actually prefer your inspiration pics to your actual setting. I hope you keep us posted.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for everyone for chiming in. It made me pause and think. I think I am going to wait for a bit since I still enjoy my ring and do not want to regret jumping the gun. But while waiting, I'll keep myself busy looking for a couple cushion/avc sidestones . Thanks again for everyone for your help.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the change, it looks like it will have more presence. I would put a colored stone into the pear setting.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous, but only you know what your heart wants.

Have you ever cut out paper *stones* in the desired shape and size and taped them to your existing side stones? It helps to visualize the look and if you’d like the shape on your finger. It’s never a waste (imo) to fulfill your bling dreams.

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
I love your setting, but that is for you to decide. Last year you mentioned this was a temporary stone and that you would upgrade. If this is the final stone making changes makes sense. If not I would put the cost towards final stone

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates? What did you decide!

I echo the other advice to wait for 6 months and only make the change if you’ve had 6 straight months of wanting it. Also, I would enquire about the cost of change - how much will it cost for the new setting, and to repurpose or resell your old setting? Once you can put a dollar figure to it then you can see what else than $xx could buy from your wishlist, and take an educated decision about whether you want to spend the money on this or something else.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote to wait a bit and see how you feel. Your current ring is absolutely stunning. I do wonder a bit if you reset it with AVC sidestones if the overall impact of the center AVC will be blunted a bit - I personally like how the contrast to the pears actually accentuates it's gorgeous facet pattern. That may be a matter of personal taste, though.....

Perhaps what's motivating you is that you just love AVCs and want more? If that's the case, maybe there are other ways to scratch that itch, such as earrings, a pendant, or if you want to be able to look at it all day with adoration, a different (additional) ring! You said you love KristyDarling's three-stone; what I notice about it that is different from your current ring is that the stones seem to be quite a bit warmer, and that is accentuated by the yellow gold setting. That gives it an equally beautiful, but quite different, character than your whiter stone set in white metal. Perhaps you're itching for a nice warm AVC set in a way that accentuates that as something completely different but equal? Just thinking out loud......

Well, and enabling a bit as well, I guess! ;)) :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results