shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting “Ashlee” my antique cut cornered step cut..Opinions please

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo I took your advice. I contacted David and Amy to see if they can find a stone to fit in the space. Amy said she will look. I don’t think it will be easy..I may have to go out of my comfort zone with color if she finds something that fits..I don’t want to trash that setting. I think it’s pretty..It just didn’t go well with Ashlee. I think a colored stone would be pretty.

Sorry @MamaBee , I missed your post and forgot to come back with a picture.

Here’s my synthetic spinel (if I’m allowed to post it here - if not please delete, mods). If DK can’t find something that fits, having synthetic rough cut is a cost effective option. The rough itself was negligible (I think $2 kind of negligible) so the cost was just in the cutting and I think from memory that was around $150, so really reasonable to make use of an existing setting.

The cutter used the report measurements of my original stone in combination with a zoomed in photo of it to work out where to place windmills etc. It’s obviously a compromise on the coloured material to cut it to diamond parameters, but for a comparatively cheap fix to make use of a setting it was absolutely a compromise worth making for me. I think there’s a little extra depth in the synthetic spinel than there was in the original stone, and the setting has enough height to accommodate that, but the outline from the top is exactly the same as the original centre stone.

If Dk can’t find a pre-cut stone to work, maybe their cutter could do something similar with either synthetic or natural rough?

Attachments

• 184318CF-AF83-48A0-9F60-E061707DBBE6.jpeg
    184318CF-AF83-48A0-9F60-E061707DBBE6.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 727A063F-C6D0-4F11-814C-2F462F61334F.jpeg
    727A063F-C6D0-4F11-814C-2F462F61334F.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 132

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here’s my synthetic spinel (if I’m allowed to post it here - if not please delete, mods). If DK can’t find something that fits, having synthetic rough cut is a cost effective option. The rough itself was negligible (I think $2 kind of negligible) so the cost was just in the cutting and I think from memory that was around $150, so really reasonable to make use of an existing setting.

The cutter used the report measurements of my original stone in combination with a zoomed in photo of it to work out where to place windmills etc. It’s obviously a compromise on the coloured material to cut it to diamond parameters, but for a comparatively cheap fix to make use of a setting it was absolutely a compromise worth making for me. I think there’s a little extra depth in the synthetic spinel than there was in the original stone, and the setting has enough height to accommodate that, but the outline from the top is exactly the same as the original centre stone.

If Dk can’t find a pre-cut stone to work, maybe their cutter could do something similar with either synthetic or natural rough?

Thank you @lissyflo! Your ring is beautiful! Who did you use? It came out great. I can’t believe how close your setting looks to mine!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I contacted Precision Gem to see if he could cut something to fit the setting. He answered back that he only commissions lab stones. Since his cutting is so pretty I asked him if he could cut one to fit this setting. I think it would have to be a radiant or emerald cut. I don’t think an elongated asscher would work..I hope he can do it. I’m waiting for him to answer my email.
If he can I’ll move pics to the lab section..:bigsmile:

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lissyflo! Your ring is beautiful! Who did you use? It came out great. I can’t believe how close your setting looks to mine!

I missed this message too - at least I’m consistently bad?!

Caysie arranged it for me and her cutter cut the stone to fit. I’m afraid I can’t pass on his/her details as I was only involved with Caysie - sorry. I have sometimes seen Caysie reference on IG where she got particular stones, so if Precision Gems can’t do the work maybe you could either ask Caysie or directly contact the cutters she mentions on IG?

Sorry I can’t be of more specific help!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I missed this message too - at least I’m consistently bad?!

Caysie arranged it for me and her cutter cut the stone to fit. I’m afraid I can’t pass on his/her details as I was only involved with Caysie - sorry. I have sometimes seen Caysie reference on IG where she got particular stones, so if Precision Gems can’t do the work maybe you could either ask Caysie or directly contact the cutters she mentions on IG?

Sorry I can’t be of more specific help!

Thank you @lissyflo..I’m hoping Precision Gems will do it. If not I’ll start asking other cutters. I don’t want to email everyone just in case he says he can. I’ll wait a bit.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..update..I contacted Jeff White to see if he could cut a spinel to fit. I thought about a color for a while. Although I think blue would be amazing in the setting..I already have two blue rings. I want pink..He has some pink spinel rough that he could cut to fit. Since the proportions have to be exact..David had to let him know what the fudge room is. It’s more than I wanted to spend to be able to use the setting..but I wouldn’t worry about windows, etc. David also had some options. Still thinking….TBC haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@lissyflo David just cut me a pink lab sapphire. It‘s a lighter pink which I like. He did a great job from what I can see in the video. I’ll post it over in the lab stone area when it’s set. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo David just cut me a pink lab sapphire. It‘s a lighter pink which I like. He did a great job from what I can see in the video. I’ll post it over in the lab stone area when it’s set. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

That’s great news! Could you tag me when you post so I don’t miss it - I’d love to see the outcome!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s great news! Could you tag me when you post so I don’t miss it - I’d love to see the outcome!
@lissyflo I will! It’s a light pink which I know people don’t favor..but I love baby pink..I’m happy I’ll be able to wear it now! Thanks again!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds like a great idea, love a pink ring, can’t wait to see the end result!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update! David cut me a pink lab sapphire for the setting. I didn’t want to put in a ton of money into a ring I wouldn't wear that often. He cut it himself..It’s really light baby pink…I love it..I don’t know if I can post it here so I’ll head over to the lab gemstones thread to post a pic. I’m thrilled.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Update! David cut me a pink lab sapphire for the setting. I didn’t want to put in a ton of money into a ring I wouldn't wear that often. He cut it himself..It’s really light baby pink…I love it..I don’t know if I can post it here so I’ll head over to the lab gemstones thread to post a pic. I’m thrilled.

Eep! ??

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t tell you how glad I am you went this route rather than selling it. This is fantastic, and I hope you wear it with great joy!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m toying with using the long rectangle baguettes from Ashlee’s ring in a new setting for Winter. It won’t be until next year..but I’m obsessing about getting Winter reset and done. The baguettes are high quality VVS G color. I’ve been doing tapered baguettes forever… I realized I really like the straight baguettes because it follows the line of the shank. I don’t like when it tapers in to the head anymore. I hardly wear Ashlee now that I have so many rings I rotate that have better finger coverage…. I may set her in a faux bezel setting to give her more finger coverage. I may even sell her. I’m still thinking. I’m just throwing this out there because that’s how I work it out in my mind. I would only let David do my reset with the baguettes..I think..There’s a jeweler a town or two over that has great reviews…I don’t want to ship Winter across the US. You don’t need to answer me. I talk to myself all the time.. :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m toying with using the long rectangle baguettes from Ashlee’s ring in a new setting for Winter. It won’t be until next year..but I’m obsessing about getting Winter reset and done. The baguettes are high quality VVS G color. I’ve been doing tapered baguettes forever… I realized I really like the straight baguettes because it follows the line of the shank. I don’t like when it tapers in to the head anymore. I hardly wear Ashlee now that I have so many rings I rotate that have better finger coverage…. I may set her in a faux bezel setting to give her more finger coverage. I may even sell her. I’m still thinking. I’m just throwing this out there because that’s how I work it out in my mind. I would only let David do my reset with the baguettes..I think..There’s a jeweler a town or two over that has great reviews…I don’t want to ship Winter across the US. You don’t need to answer me. I talk to myself all the time.. :lol:

Which ring is winter?

Would you consider making Ashlee into a pendant? Maybe she will get more wear that way?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which ring is winter?

Would you consider making Ashlee into a pendant? Maybe she will get more wear that way?

@Mreader Winter is my 3.01 ACA. I have her in a pretty temporary setting..but I want to get her set in a permanent one.
I did consider a pendant but I really have enough pendants.
513E0100-2EB8-4E25-BBD4-CF0632CAF513.jpeg

Attachments

• E6F58D40-B729-4AEA-B5D7-2427E100BDFF.jpeg
    E6F58D40-B729-4AEA-B5D7-2427E100BDFF.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 04E13A0C-C2E8-490F-AC62-56D648DF3F3C.jpeg
    04E13A0C-C2E8-490F-AC62-56D648DF3F3C.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 9

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I did consider a pendant but I really have enough pendants.
Don't we all hahaha. I have so many rings, pendants, bracelets, and earrings. Yet I still love bling so much that I like to have more!!! As for Ashlee, she's so special (true antique cut if I am not mistaken?) and I think she would look lovely in a colored stone halo but I realize that means putting her in a setting similar to what she was in before.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Winter should be on your hand so you can see her (him?).
Ashlee would look amazing in a cigar band. You're sure she's not tired of traveling?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Winter should be on your hand so you can see her (him?).
Ashlee would look amazing in a cigar band. You're sure she's not tired of traveling?

Do you mean traveling to different settings? :lol: I’m tired of her traveling to different settings. Every time I take her out to stack her I just love her. Then I put her back and she sits for longer periods than the others.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
To me, that diamond is SO special that occasional use is probably best. You don't ever want to wear Ashlee casually, she's too irreplaceable. So, she stays home a lot and when take her out, all your beauty/happy neurons fire. Falling in love all over again.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Two more pics..I’m wearing Ashlee with my Tiffany baguette band. She will be a great stacker. I love a gap..I feel it lets each ring stand out. Since the Tiffany band is channel
set I don’t have to wear a spacer. I’m really
enjoying her small size and low profile.
0C0A21CD-07EC-4A9F-83A1-488CF1A6D17A.png 169D0354-28B0-4439-A1E1-E555F009E0B1.png

@MamaBee I had to come seek out this thread after seeing your avatar pic - oh my word is this beautiful. I love baguettes, and ooh that center stone! Gorgeous

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results