shape
carat
color
clarity

Resets, New and New to me from David Klass

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Long time lurker here, very rare poster but wanted to share my new treasures!

This year is my 10 year wedding anniversary and DH and I started looking for a ring a few months ago. After visiting a few shops without finding anything I liked and striking out with shops that "can make anything I want" but that never return emails or calls, I found a ring I loved on the bistro that was made by David Klass but would need to be sized. I emailed him--got an immediate response and now just a few months later I am so happy to have my new to me anniversary ring with matching band and a few amazing resets.
6ac385cf-67f1-4a8b-bbe1-e80651c7277c.jpg

Before and afters - sorry the before pics are so bad...I took them... the photos of the resets are David's beautiful photos.
reset%201.jpg

reset%202.jpg

reset%203.jpg

reset%204.jpg

I also had him make a matching earring for a lonely one that I found in my grandmother's jewelry box.
earrings.png

I couldn't be happier with my new treasures!!!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great collection! Love the before and after pictures, quite a transformation! Happy Anniversary!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice resets! I really like the criss-cross ring in 2 tone metal!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the rounded bezel set rings (one oval in white gold or platinum, and one round in rose gold?) on DKJ's Instagram. LOVED them! Can you pls give us some stats on those? Diamond size etc?

Lovely pieces - what a great addition to your collection!

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I really can't stop staring at all of them!
The bezel sets were made from my grandmother and my aunt's wedding sets.
Stats are:
Rose gold - 0.29 ct I center with 0.22 I round brilliant and single cut diamonds
White gold - 0.25 ct H center with 0.22 H round brilliant and single cut diamonds

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, syd!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great way to repurpose stones! Very pretty pieces! I love your bezeled octagonal wedding band, especially!

(I do have to say, though, that is it disappointing to see DK again do an almost exact copy of another designer's work. The criss cross ring is a design by Caysie van Bebber. I realize you may not have known that. There are tons of designs out there that we see multiple jewelers making, and it is hard to know where the designs originated. And sometimes they originate from antique rings which anyone can reproduce. But if the original designer is still in business making rings, I think he should make changes to make it different or else refuse to make the piece. This has happened before, that's why I am mentioning it. He may have suggested the design and you may have had no idea of where it originated, so I understand that.)

syd33

Shiny_Rock
What a great way to repurpose stones! Very pretty pieces! I love your bezeled octagonal wedding band, especially!

(I do have to say, though, that is it disappointing to see DK again do an almost exact copy of another designer's work. The criss cross ring is a design by Caysie van Bebber. I realize you may not have known that. There are tons of designs out there that we see multiple jewelers making, and it is hard to know where the designs originated. And sometimes they originate from antique rings which anyone can reproduce. But if the original designer is still in business making rings, I think he should make changes to make it different or else refuse to make the piece. This has happened before, that's why I am mentioning it. He may have suggested the design and you may have had no idea of where it originated, so I understand that.)

Hello,

No he did not suggest the design--if anyone is at fault for the design is it me. I was given the OEC ring that originally held the center stone of this ring when I was 12 and could never wear it because the shank was too thin and it was too large for me. So, I have stared at this stone for years wishing that I could wear it--there is a whole story about how it was purchased that also makes it special--but not relevant to this discussion. I also originally wanted a cross over ring for my anniversary ring and so when I struggled to find a setting for the OEC that I liked I started searching for an OEC crossover and did see CvB's design. My stone was already with DK for reset and I had so many problems with other jewelers not responding to my emails and calls that I was not willing to ask him to ship the stone back across the country to me to try and develop a relationship with another jeweler--so I asked him to do a similar design--so my fault. Also, my stones are a lot smaller than what most of the members here have--so I assume that is why I had so much trouble finding a jeweler that had any interest in resetting my jewelry. I did change the angle of the ring from the original cads DK sent to me as well as adding additional OEC stones to the side and also made the ring two tone--all of which are different that Cvbs design - which is a mixture of old cuts in yellow gold with hammered finish--but I understand that it is still similar and some people will think I am terrible for asking him to do a similar design. I apologize to anyone who is offended (including CvB). I will delete the photo of the ring above to prevent offending anyone else if necessary, I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely wardrobe of rings! Congratulations on successfully incorporating the stones into new designs, and enjoy wearing your new jewelry!

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Looks like I can't delete the photo since the post has been up for a while--so really sorry to anyone that is offended by my ring. Obviously, I rarely post--so again, really sorry.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

No he did not suggest the design--if anyone is at fault for the design is it me. I was given the OEC ring that originally held the center stone of this ring when I was 12 and could never wear it because the shank was too thin and it was too large for me. So, I have stared at this stone for years wishing that I could wear it--there is a whole story about how it was purchased that also makes it special--but not relevant to this discussion. I also originally wanted a cross over ring for my anniversary ring and so when I struggled to find a setting for the OEC that I liked I started searching for an OEC crossover and did see CvB's design. My stone was already with DK for reset and I had so many problems with other jewelers not responding to my emails and calls that I was not willing to ask him to ship the stone back across the country to me to try and develop a relationship with another jeweler--so I asked him to do a similar design--so my fault. Also, my stones are a lot smaller than what most of the members here have--so I assume that is why I had so much trouble finding a jeweler that had any interest in resetting my jewelry. I did change the angle of the ring from the original cads DK sent to me as well as adding additional OEC stones to the side and also made the ring two tone--all of which are different that Cvbs design - which is a mixture of old cuts in yellow gold with hammered finish--but I understand that it is still similar and some people will think I am terrible for asking him to do a similar design. I apologize to anyone who is offended (including CvB). I will delete the photo of the ring above to prevent offending anyone else if necessary, I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

Don't delete your photo. No one is offended and NO one blames you. He shouldn't have copied her design exactly- that's why DS is trying to say. She has asked him not to over and over and he still does it. He has no integrity. I know he has a large following here and I am sure I'll hear from them......

There might be teeny subtle differences but he does it to more than one vendor. You give him a pic and he says "Yep. I'll do that" with NO regard to anyone else's design and work.

However, you are not a copyright lawyer (at least I don't think so,) and you weren't malicious in your intent. CVB's rings and settings are not outrageously priced, and she does work within your budget. She is also very easy to work with. So if you are considering one of her designs for your next project, definitely reach out to her.

Congrats on your new bling!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, I love repurposing!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with Soxfan! I did not and do not want you to feel bad!

Your rings are truly beautiful and I am happy you were able to make pieces that you love out of sentimental stones!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love a good repurposing project in general, and I especially love yours, as all pieces turned out so incredibly wearable and modern. Do not feel bad because of any PS talk ;-)

Extremely well done and happy anniversary!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Re purposing is just the BEST! Good job and congrats.

cheers--Sharon

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job repurposing your stones!! You gave them a ton of new life!! :love:

almost_there

Rough_Rock
This is an inspiration for me to repurpose! Congratulations, and Happy Anniversary!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did great! Enjoy your beautiful bling!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long time lurker here, very rare poster but wanted to share my new treasures!

This year is my 10 year wedding anniversary and DH and I started looking for a ring a few months ago. After visiting a few shops without finding anything I liked and striking out with shops that "can make anything I want" but that never return emails or calls, I found a ring I loved on the bistro that was made by David Klass but would need to be sized. I emailed him--got an immediate response and now just a few months later I am so happy to have my new to me anniversary ring with matching band and a few amazing resets.
6ac385cf-67f1-4a8b-bbe1-e80651c7277c.jpg

Before and afters - sorry the before pics are so bad...I took them... the photos of the resets are David's beautiful photos.
reset%201.jpg

reset%202.jpg

reset%203.jpg

reset%204.jpg

I also had him make a matching earring for a lonely one that I found in my grandmother's jewelry box.
earrings.png

I couldn't be happier with my new treasures!!!

I love that you did this all at the same time!!! wish I could do that (yes I am getting a new ring but I love resets!!!).

I can't pick one out more than another.. all are lovely as they were and uber gorgeous now.. I've not read down as I was so excited to reply but I would love to see ear and hand shots!!!

Each one is so classy.. congratulations!!!

peace!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your rings and I am so glad you posted here! Please do not feel bad. Designers constantly make their own versions of other people designs all of the time. You can see versions of any style ring anywhere you go. Tiff's setting is copied by Vatche and tons of people on here have it. It is no different.
You are not offending anyone. That is the way it is. Your rings are beautiful and I am glad you were able to find designs you love for your sentimental stones.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all for the positive comments. I did ask admin to delete this thread, but I guess it takes a little while for that to happen.
I love that you did this all at the same time!!! wish I could do that (yes I am getting a new ring but I love resets!!!).
Since I am on the opposite coast from DK, it was easier to send everything to him at once. I was pretty terrified sending these stones in the mail, but since he uses UPS 2nd day I only had to worry for a few days each way. His prices were also amazing--so the whole project actually came in way under what I had planned to spend.
but I would love to see ear and hand shots!!!
Not the best photos, but here goes - finger size 6:
IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Hands are a bit swollen today--I have been wearing them stacked and it typically looks better than this...
IMG_3745_1.jpg

Impossible to get this in focus - and it seems I need a haircut:
IMG_3751%202_1.jpg

Yes - stone is tiny - 0.06 ct H VS

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really hope it doesn't get deleted! I went and looked up the CVB ring in question, yours is absolutely not a copy of it! Similar, sure, but with very obvious differences. I also have an octagonal 5-stone in the works with DK right now, seeing yours, I'm even more excited!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Why would you delete this thread???? DS's post was way out of line and her post should be deleted by admin IMO. I'm sure she now feels really bad for bringing up something that does not belong here in this thread. You need to quit feeling bad about something she posted...good grief!
So sorry she put a damper on the joy of your lovely resets....but you must put it out of your head as what she posted should not concern you in the least.

Love your choices and David Klass did an awesome job. It was kind of him to take on your project when no one else would give you any response to your enquiries. Love all your jewels. So glad you posted some hand and ear shots!!! I know you put in a lot of time and effort making these decisions and now you can be proud of your special mementos handed down by your loved ones.

Questions:
Was David able to reuse any of the gold from your jewelry? Was it expensive to have him remove the gems and diamonds?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all your new pieces and that you had him create a copy of your grandmother's lone earring.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I also have an octagonal 5-stone in the works with DK right now, seeing yours, I'm even more excited!
I am sure it will be amazing! The photos do not do mine justice--so sparkly in person and the stones are lower quality - I-J color Si1-I1 - but you wouldn't know it in person and the engraving details are really perfection. Can't wait to see yours!

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Questions:
Was David able to reuse any of the gold from your jewelry? Was it expensive to have him remove the gems and diamonds?[/QUOTE]

Why delete?? Well, I have learned a lot from this forum. I have been a member for a long time--just never post. I have read most of the resources here and because of the information gained I have been able to buy some great pieces and now design some of my own. Soooo, I do not want to contribute anything negative. Also, specifically because DK happily accepted my complicated project and delivered much more than I anticipated, I was unhappy that this post could generate negativity toward him.

I did not reuse any of the gold from my jewelry--but did receive a credit for the metal that was in the settings. There were no separate charges for removing any stones. I sent him a photo of all of my rings and the earring and gave him an idea of things I was thinking of and he sent me basic prices. His response was immediate and his prices were great so I decided to go for it. He emailed me a shipping label and the journey began. All of his original estimated prices were exactly what he charged me. He did not charge me separately for shipping either direction (even though I offered to pay) and I had to return one of the rings to be sized up--which he received--sized and then mailed back all in the same day--at no additional charge.

syd33

Shiny_Rock
I love all your new pieces and that you had him create a copy of your grandmother's lone earring.
I really love the earrings! I remember my grandmother wearing them when I was a kid and then at some point I remember I didn't see them anymore--obviously she lost one and couldn't wear them. They were her only pair of diamond earrings and I am sure she was very upset when she lost one. I am happy that they are a pair again and I can enjoy them as much as she did!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way Way thank you and totally beautiful!! :)

Wa
Thanks to all for the positive comments. I did ask admin to delete this thread, but I guess it takes a little while for that to happen. Since I am on the opposite coast from DK, it was easier to send everything to him at once. I was pretty terrified sending these stones in the mail, but since he uses UPS 2nd day I only had to worry for a few days each way. His prices were also amazing--so the whole project actually came in way under what I had planned to spend.

Not the best photos, but here goes - finger size 6:
IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Hands are a bit swollen today--I have been wearing them stacked and it typically looks better than this...
IMG_3745_1.jpg

Impossible to get this in focus - and it seems I need a haircut:
IMG_3751%202_1.jpg

Yes - stone is tiny - 0.06 ct H VS

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I ADORE your stacked rings. Those bezel rings are amazing and the stack of all three is divine. Another vote for not deleting this thread. Your pieces are beautiful and will give many people encouragement in making pieces out of sentimental stones that they might have not otherwise thought of.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results