shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset these rubies?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
When I was in early high school, my grandmother gave me a ring that belonged to her aunt. It contains 10 round rubies and 9 round stones that I thought she told me were diamonds. When one of the clear stones fell out of the ring a year or two ago, I took it to the local jeweler. He told me that the clear stones are in fact CZs. He offered to fix it, but warned that because the gold is electroplated, it will be difficult to repair if anything happens in the future. He also wasn''t sure how well the new CZ would stay in the ring. He thought that the rubies were real, but said that he''d have to send them out to get tested to know for sure.

I''ve been wary to wear the ring ever since, because I''m afraid that I''ll damage it further. Some of the prongs look a little bent, and some of the stones appear to be set crookedly. I''m not sure if it''s because of poor workmanship originally, or if it''s because of time. When I wear it, I tend to catch it on things.

This is where I''d love your advice. I''ve lately been thinking of resetting the rubies, perhaps in a channel half-eternity ring, but had some questions:

1) Would a jeweler have set real rubies in an electroplated ring with CZs?

2) How easy is it to test the rubies, and how much does that process generally cost? Would it be worth it?

3) Would it even be worth resetting the rubies?

4) If it is worth resetting them, can you think of a better arrangement? A half-eternity ring is a completely different look than ring''s current one. (Although, I tend to go for simpler, classic jewelry.)

5) If it is worth resetting them, how could I find a good jeweler to help me? I''m a little reluctant to take it to the local jeweler, based on the look of the way he set the replacement CZ. I live in a rural area, but sometimes travel to DC. I also use the internet (clearly).

Please be honest. I''m wondering if I''m trying to hold onto something that''s really not that great, just for sentimental reasons.

In case it helps, I''m going to attach a couple pictures of the ring as is. Just a warning - my photography skills are pretty bad.

Blenheim_Ruby_Handshot_edited.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Another view.

Blenheim_Ruby_Side_Handshot_edited.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
You can see that the stones are crooked here.

Blenheim_Ruby_Side.JPG

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Last one. Thanks in advance for your help!

Blenheim_Ruby_in_Hand_edited.jpg

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how much it costs to test rubies, but I would do it if it was at all reasonable because those rubies do look like they''re real, and I think they would look beautiful in a half eternity ring or even an eternity mixed with diamonds. I would prefer that look over the current setting, too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There synthetic.
Id bet on it.
small synthetic are about a $.25 each and small real are $5-$10 odds are they are flame fusion synthetic.
The diamonds would be about $7-$15 each and the cz''s $.25 so if they used czs they used synthetics.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 3:14:23 PM
Author:Blenheim
When I was in early high school, my grandmother gave me a ring that belonged to her aunt. It contains 10 round rubies and 9 round stones that I thought she told me were diamonds. When one of the clear stones fell out of the ring a year or two ago, I took it to the local jeweler. He told me that the clear stones are in fact CZs. He offered to fix it, but warned that because the gold is electroplated, it will be difficult to repair if anything happens in the future. He also wasn't sure how well the new CZ would stay in the ring. He thought that the rubies were real, but said that he'd have to send them out to get tested to know for sure.

I've been wary to wear the ring ever since, because I'm afraid that I'll damage it further. Some of the prongs look a little bent, and some of the stones appear to be set crookedly. I'm not sure if it's because of poor workmanship originally, or if it's because of time. When I wear it, I tend to catch it on things.

This is where I'd love your advice. I've lately been thinking of resetting the rubies, perhaps in a channel half-eternity ring, but had some questions:

1) Would a jeweler have set real rubies in an electroplated ring with CZs?

2) How easy is it to test the rubies, and how much does that process generally cost? Would it be worth it?

3) Would it even be worth resetting the rubies?

4) If it is worth resetting them, can you think of a better arrangement? A half-eternity ring is a completely different look than ring's current one. (Although, I tend to go for simpler, classic jewelry.)

5) If it is worth resetting them, how could I find a good jeweler to help me? I'm a little reluctant to take it to the local jeweler, based on the look of the way he set the replacement CZ. I live in a rural area, but sometimes travel to DC. I also use the internet (clearly).
Is there anyway for you to get slightly more in focus pictures?
They certainly are ruby colored. If the clarity isn't very good, then I think it would be reasonable for a jeweler to set real rubies in this ring.
It's not terribly difficult to test to see if they are rubies, if you remove one from the setting. However, it's a bit more time consuming and therefore expensive (I would think) to verify that they are natural not man-made rubies. (If they have decent clarity in this kind of piece then the chances are that the rubies are man-made. )
I'd say go ahead and reset the rubies in a classic half-eternity channel set 14k ring. That will be a fantastic look, and a good use of gems with a sentimental value. And if you want a full eternity band you could always use the cz's as well.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 4:39:46 PM
Author: Wren

Is there anyway for you to get slightly more in focus pictures?

They certainly are ruby colored. If the clarity isn''t very good, then I think it would be reasonable for a jeweler to set real rubies in this ring.

I tried following advice on other threads about taking pictures of jewelry, but these were the best I could get. My camera doesn''t have a macro mode, which probably isn''t helping. Sorry.
8.gif

They look slightly cloudy to my eye. Would synthetics look that way?

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Blenheim: You said,
"Please be honest. I''m wondering if I''m trying to hold onto something that''s really not that great, just for sentimental reasons."

IMHO you are trying to hold onto something that''s really not that great, just for sentimental reasons. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but I wouldn''t spend a lot of money to fix it.

Joker....

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your honest opinions. I realize that I''m doing this entirely for sentimental reasons. My grandmother seemed so happy and proud of it when she gave it to me, but I''ve never really cared for the design and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try to make it into something I''d enjoy wearing.

Since people who responded had a variety of opinions, I decided to go ahead and have the local jeweler look at it. He says that they are indeed real rubies (although I''m not sure if they''re natural or man-made). He doesn''t suggest resetting them though, because he''s afraid that they''d get damaged in the process. He said to just enjoy wearing it as-is.

The only problem is that I''m not really enjoying the current setting, for reasons I mentioned in my first post. Does anybody know how likely it would be that rubies would get damaged when resetting them?

Also, just in case I decide to reset them anyway, does anyone know who would set a customer''s own stones into a half-eternity setting? It seems like everything I see online is preset.

conitta

Shiny_Rock

Please be honest. I''m wondering if I''m trying to hold onto something that''s really not that great, just for sentimental reasons.

If it is sentimental...then it is priceless no matter what they are & if you reset the stones will it still be you grandmother''s aunts ring?I would say to keep it as grandmother gave it to you.

2.gif
That is just my thoughts.Good luck.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 11:01:31 PM
Author: conittaIf it is sentimental...then it is priceless no matter what they are & if you reset the stones will it still be you grandmother''s aunts ring?I would say to keep it as grandmother gave it to you.
2.gif
That is just my thoughts.Good luck.
ditto: doesn''t matter if the rubies are real or not...its the whether or not the sentiment is real or not. keep the ring as is and enjoy it!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results