shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset diamond necklace

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to reset this necklace using the existing gold? Does that typically save any money? I was thinking tiny bezels and maybe adding a gemstone or two such as sapphire ir emerald melee in between. I would set as a pendant. Or other ideas what I could do with it?

9162E24C-4BAD-4809-B813-4A0E7EF78F3D.jpeg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I found 1.1 mm melee (ruby) that I could use. I was thinking something like this. Thoughts?
IMG_7112.JPG

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think most jewelry store type jewelers will reuse your gold. You would have better luck finding an individual that is more of a gold/silversmith. I just had a piece made by someone who melted a couple of gold settings down to make a new piece and it went well. I’m guessing I saved money since she didn’t have to purchase gold for my piece. David Klass also has given me scrap value for gold in the past when I was having a piece reworked, so that’s an option. I like your design idea :)) .

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
will be rare that jewlers will reuse your gold as so many send their work out. If you find a mom and pop shop that does repairs in their shop they would be the ones that would typically reuse gold if its not a hassle to work with.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. Got a few quotes from Daniel M because his bezels are so good and I have done two projects this year with him and been super pleased. Probably do this as my next project—just not sure when. I may or may not reuse the gold.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Any ideas what else I could do with this? Because the diamonds are graduated I am not sure what else to consider. Right now I am still going with the ruby melee, or, emerald melee. I have a lot of rings now so want to start building out my necklaces and earrings.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Any ideas I have on what else you could do the diamonds (whimsical mosaic designs requiring significant workmanship and purchase of other gems) would likely be out of budget. Between ruby melee and emerald melee I'd go with the ruby. Most emerald is very included and won't hold up to wear and abrasion over the years. The only emerald material that I'd consider durable are the cleaner emeralds from Panjshir, Afghanistan and the Ural mountains in Russia. However, emerald melee from those origins (more difficult to work, less production than Columbia) are going to cost lots more than ruby melee.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Does that apply even in a pendant?

Edit: any melee would be from Cecile Raley Designs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Workmanship costs surprisingly more than I usually expect. The more you "mess" with a design, the more it costs. You can easily end up spending more than the cost of the setting itself, regardless of ring or pendant setting.

Workmanship cost for bezel > workmanship cost for prong set.
More stones = higher workmanship cost

I got a quote for a few tsavorite melees to be set in a By The Yard necklace and the price was so ridiculously high that I returned the melees to the seller since there's no way I'm spending that much on a fun project. That's using a chain as the base for the necklace and the melees were to be prong set using standard off the shelf settings.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results