shape
carat
color
clarity

resale value of setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am looking to find out the value of a setting that I will have to sell when it is finished being made. The setting is a size 6+1/2 mount with side baguettes. The baguettes weigh 1.58 tcw, are SI clarity and G/H color. We wound up buying a much better diamond than we thought we would (it''s a 1.71 Radiant cut D color VS2 beauty), so I can''t use this setting anymore, but the jeweler won''t let me out of the purchase...what can i get for it if I try to sell it on my own? Thanks for any help! Meg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe half? On eBay ..maybe?

Settings are so personal, I think you will have a hard time finding someone to buy it from you. People look at many settings before buying, private sales are harder to make.

Maybe your local classifieds...try asking for 75% of what you paid. Also stress that its brand new and not from a failed engagement or anything. That may help.

Your jeweler won't let you trade that in and get another setting, even if you buy from him? Did you already pay? If not, you may have some leverage to work out a deal that benefits both of you?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Did you purchase the diamond from him as well? Also, are you sure about the carat weight of the baguettes? Baguettes are usually not that large.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
Since changing my mind, getting the specs of the setting out of this jeweler has been like pulling teeth, and I want nothing further to do with them. I was being impatient the day that I placed the order and I can't believe how stupid that was...I paid for the setting by credit, so I am considering filing a dispute with Mastercard, but I also feel that I don't have much of a case b/c it states clearly on the receipt that special orders are not exchangeable...anyway, the baguettes could be less weight than 1.58, but that is the information I am getting from the jeweler. I can say that the baguettes are big...can there be more than one on each side? Thanks for the help!

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
o, I did not buy the diamond from this jeweler...I realized too late not to go to a mall - and so we bought the diamond off of bluenile.com. It's unbelievable the markup the mall jeweler wa s going to charge! Anyway, I feel so naive for not doing full research prior to ordering this setting and wish I could get out of it
8.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you can't get out of buying it & can't sell it, consider setting it with a nicely cut CZ as a travel ring, or with a pretty colored stone.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
Update:

Fire & Ice asked if I was sure about the baguette weight - I just got off with the jeweler, there are 2 baguettes on each side of the setting with total carat weight of 1.58...does anyone know what this could be worth brand new? Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original comments still hold. Hard to sell a custom made setting. You need to do some research and find out what your options are. Here are some suggestions:

eBay (maybe up to 50% of your money back)

Local Classifieds (maybe 50-75% of your money back)

See if this jeweler will sell on consignment for you (maybe you can get 80% of your $$ back)

See if another local jeweler will buy it from you (maybe you can get around 75% of your money back)

I would dispute the charge with your credit card company. At least try. Sounds like the experience hasn't been what you wanted anyway. Sometimes cc companies will back you regardless. Custom work is a gray area...good luck.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
just doesn't sound right. the baguettes would be enormous...and very expensive.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
They are large baguettes, that's all I can say, because I don't have it yet. I don't know what I was thinking when I placed the order! I can only tell you what I paid for the setting ($3400) and hope that I didn't get completely ripped off!
6.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/16/2003 4:01:15 PM mdurkin wrote:

They are large baguettes, that's all I can say, because I don't have it yet. I don't know what I was thinking when I placed the order! I can only tell you what I paid for the setting ($3400) and hope that I didn't get completely ripped off!
6.gif
----------------

My guess is that they run side to side - in other words double row - both adjacent to the head. If not, then it doesn't sound right.

Have you thought about reworking the current setting to accomodate the new stone? Surely, there must be something you can do. Why exactly can't you use it? Is it the baguette color difference? If so, have you seen the color difference? Also, if that is the reason, why can't you just upgrade the baguettes?

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
If the bagettes do not turn out to be as big as the jewelers allege, wouldn't this, in essense, be "bait and switch", in which case you could justifiably ask Mastercard to back you?

Also, I think the travel ring idea is a great one. Where, by the way, does one get well cut CZs (as opposed to bog-standard ones)?

Goldenringlets

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
The setting looks like this one...with bigger baguettes.

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3477

I acted foolishly when I placed the order for the setting before having a stone!! I could kick myself, but when I had the stone in hand it was clear to me that I didn't want that setting and those huge baguettes anymore...I will take Mara's suggestions and try to sell it since I really can't justify spending $3400 on a setting for a CZ! I wish I could! Anyway, I've already gone ahead with another setting with another jeweler (who I trust way more than the mall jeweler), so I am resigned to take a loss, but I was hoping to get an idea of how much...I guess I will know more when I have the setting in hand. Thanks for all the suggestions!

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
FYI here are the specs on my center stone...what do you think?

GIA cert #12817011
Radiant Cut
Measurements: 7.36x6.63x4.58
weight 1.71 carats
depth: 69.1%
table: 72%
gordle: med to slight thick
culeet: none
polish: VG
symmetry: G
Clarity: VS2
Color: D

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
>

hey, don't be so hard on yourself. We certainly picked out our setting before we found our stone (but we didn't have it made until we had the dimensions of the stone).

At the end of the day, what's important is that you're getting what you want.

Still, however, if an appraiser finds the setting not to match what you believe (and have proof that) you ordered, you then may have justification for a full refund.

Whomever wears the ultimate product is lucky indeed. Confusian that I am, do you think you can post pictures someday?[/i]

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
The price seems very inexpensive for that size baguette. Find out from the retailer what the stated quality of the stones are. Have them put it in writing! They have to be very low for a mall store to be selling at that price. You have only put a deposit on it? How much? Maybe they would let you use that amount towards something else in the store like a watch? Take it to the next management level. I wouldn't be surprised if the mounting wasn't a custom piece. More than likel;y they can return it to the manufacturer. They want to keep your money but not you as a client. Bad business! Cindy

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
That setting must be huge. Yeah, sometimes simple is better. I would take Cindy's advice. I simply wouldn't just fold on this. It is worth it to pursue.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
You guys are all so helpful!! I will get the baguette specs in writing from the corporate headquarters. Another question...can an appraiser tell the quality of the baguettes by looking at them in the setting??

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
Update:

I called the corporate headquarters and was told that the baguettes actually weigh 0.58 tcw. This makes more sense! So, does what I paid ($3400 incl. tax) make more sense now? And does the fact that the store manager gave me the wrong information (1.58tcw)...not once, but twice...help my case with the dispute? Also, from talking to the lady at the corporate headquarters she let it slip that they are manufacturing the setting there on site (at the Christian Bernard HQ). Does this make sense?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me, being the bitch that I am, I would tell the lady at corporate that you do not want the setting, and that you are cancelling the order. If she tries to give you any crap, start talking about how they have screwed you with customer service, lied about the total carat weight and misled you in thinking about their product. Tell her that if she does not cancel the order, you will dispute the matter with your credit card company and they can waste MORE dollars fighting it out with them.

I once sat on the phone with Capital One for over an hour climbing the corporate ladder from person to person until I could get someone to remove two late charges from my statement -- ones that were mistakenly added and had been PROMISED to never show up on my credit. That hour was one of the best spent, I finally talked to some suit in corporate who told me that 'normally' they don't do this..but this one time they'd help me out. The more fuss you create, the more they want to silence you.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil. I never take what is told to me as law. There's always another way.
1.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Well, you were told 1.58 carats when you bought the setting so that is what you should expect. Anything else should be unacceptable. Tell the person you have been dealing with this is what you were told and will accept nothing less. I am sure they will rethink the return policy and let you off the hook. Cindy

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/17/2003 4:27:58 PM mdurkin wrote:

Update:

I called the corporate headquarters and was told that the baguettes actually weigh 0.58 tcw. This makes more sense! So, does what I paid ($3400 incl. tax) make more sense now? And does the fact that the store manager gave me the wrong information (1.58tcw)...not once, but twice...help my case with the dispute? Also, from talking to the lady at the corporate headquarters she let it slip that they are manufacturing the setting there on site (at the Christian Bernard HQ). Does this make sense?----------------

Often making a fuss in person in front of other customers will get a lot better results :}
Don’t be a afraid of making a scene,,hey you might save someone else from getting taken by these people.
Pick the busiest time and go there.
Make sure they do the refund while you are there and get it on paper.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point. $3400 for a .58c setting sounds too expensive anyway.

I would take advantage of the misinformation they gave and follow strm's advice.

mdurkin

Rough_Rock
I am so bad at making scenes...but it is definitely worth a try!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/17/2003 8:47:07 PM mdurkin wrote:

I am so bad at making scenes...but it is definitely worth a try!----------------

It's unnecessary & counterproductive to "make a scene". Be firm & don't take no for an answer *very calmly*. Do not talk to the salesperson. Ask to speak directly to the manager or someone who can make a decision. You were told 1.58. You received .58. You are unsatisified. What does your receipt say? If you can not get resolve at the store, you will take it to someone who can resolve at corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results