shape
carat
color
clarity

Requiring an Education of sorts

Justlearning

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Before I begin, I want to put this little disclaimer in about what you are going to read, I am not naive, I appreciate you get what you pay for, I am, and never have been under the illusion that buying online, especially at auction sites, is a truely and utterly russian roulette with 5 bullets instead of 1.

Ok that is out of the way. If you are still reading, many thanks.

So I recently got engaged, and during that process I ended up purchasing a Fancy Greenish Yellow Diamond ring, it was a unusual stone as in sometimes it looked pale yellow, sometimes green, and sometimes chocolate. Anyway, I suddendly grew this passion for shiney things and have been reading, researching, going online, getting gemstone books from library etc etc.

After reading, and reading, oh and reading, especially here, was a lurker I decided to buy a very cheap lot of gemstones from ebay, once again, I was under no illusion of what I was buying, poor stones, poor cuts, poor colour, in the most, but some had some pretty colours and cuts and had some interesting stuff to view under loupe and microscope, I wanted it for the purpose of trying to educate myself on stones and inclusions etc etc.

Once I received and looked at these, I wanted something different, and during an offchance, and a love I have for the history of a sapphire, I once again purchased some very cheap 'pink sapphires' from ebay, the cost of shipping was actually more than the 2 stones, the description said natural, feedback was good, so I figured, whats the worst that could happen, I lose $10 ? I spend more on a coffee and a sandwich. To be honest I expected very crudely cut heavily infused stones or glass, but once again, I did this for the purpose of educating myself, I find its cheaper to educate on what I shouldnt get before I begin to spend money that actually counts.

Anyway, once I received them, I was suprised at the apparent quality to my very amatuer eye, I had access to a 60-100x microscope, and reviewed them, and as expected, I thought I saw bubbles, lots of them, but then something strange appeared, it looked like silk, lots of examples on this site regarding inclusions etc, but then when looking at the stone in certain lights, the colour on the backside seemed paler, so I thought, was this a doublet? So I was confused and then realised I needed a professional to educate me!

So off I went into the city, and sought an opinion of a gemologist, trained with GIA (so his website and certificate on the wall indicated, and he got upset when I kept calling them Gia as in the name and not G.I.A hehe)

He reviewed the stones, I told him about what I saw under the microscope, I assumed I saw, but on hindsight from what he said, I am guessing the things I saw had actually been dirt on the outside, because he said, under review, the stones are incrediably clean.

He did a refractometer and some other tests and confirmed it came out as a sapphire, yet once again he was still suspicious because of the colour was very vivid, infact at first he thought it was a hot pink tourmaline, anyway, to cut a long story short, he officially diagnosed the stone as a synthetic sapphire, probably flame fusion, explaining this was the cheaper kind of synthetic instead of the type made by chatham. He came to this conclusion from comparing a pink sapphire he had to mine via ultraviolet test? He also did some sort of test with liquid ?

So, now my education, from everything I have read, I thought all cheap synthetics would have bubbles, so I am confused to how this one does not? And if it has no visable inclusions under a microscope, how does one know, what type of synethic it is from an ultraviolet, I read about growth bands, but nothing about using ultraviolet. Is there anyone, who in laymans terms, (some papers ive read get sooo technical) who can explain to me what ultraviolet tests and how a synethic can be properly be identified ?

If you are here, at this point thank you, if you reply, thank you and thank you for this amazing website, gold mine of information, I hope to make a big purchase one day for a 1 year annivesary some probably close to 2 years time. I want to educate myself, and also would possibly consider this a potential hobby so I will probably be posting really long posts in the future!

Sorry !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You found a gemmologist who clearly knows what he is doing. :appl: There are many types of synthetics; some are very clean, some have certain tell tale inclusions (depending on the synthetic gem type), and some are made purposely with inclusion that mimic a natural stone. There is no single one test as you've experienced. It requires several tests to come to an accurate conclusion. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to share any links with you as I have to attend a several hours long meeting shortly.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the site. As Chrono said, synthetics come in all shapes and sizes, so to speak, so its not surprising that yours are. Sounds like you are learning a lot in a short period of time. Great.

I would urge you in the future though, to keep your posts short (you said you will be posting long posts in the future), as people will likely not read your whole post if its long.

Justlearning

Rough_Rock
Yeah I have always had a bad habit of typing 500 words as opposed to 50 !! hehe

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, my kids always tell me "Get to the point, Mom!"

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the test (with the liquid) was an RI test (Refractive Index). Did he have a small machine that he placed the liquid on a glass plate, put your stone on top of it and then shut the machine, looking through a type of microscope device at one end? This can be a good test of what a stone is/isn't but unfortunately it's not 100% diagnostic. However, I like that he ran a few other basic tests and also compared to a stone he had.

To answer your question about inclusions ............ unless you are super experienced with a microscope and have seen tons of examples, it's actually incredibly difficult to understand what you're seeing. A good example of this is mistaking dust for inclusions (commonly done). Synthetics, simulants etc., can be clean OR can have diagnostic inclusions OR can have inclusions that mimic their natural counterparts so whilst they can be clues, again, on their own unless you're highly skilled, they won't be an absolute diagnostic. To give you an example, it's taken me over 20 plus years of collecting to be able to understand a fraction of inclusions!

You're doing a great thing by educating yourself. Remember this because it will serve you well as you learn:-

1. If something is cheap there'll be a reason!
2. If something is vivid in colour - suspect treatment (in most cases - especially sapphires)
3. Assume everything is heated and heated/treated unless there is lab proof that says otherwise

I really love that you're learning in the way you are. Many people don't bother. I learned the same way as you and am still learning. You'll find your "eye" will develop over time and you'll start to see things that others don't!

Justlearning

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I wish I could justify purchasing more gem identifier tools right now. And yes, the liquid test is exactly like you described, except the bit about the microscope, but he did go off somewhere so I wonder if there is a digital display for this as well, unfortunately there was a snow storm here when I went, and I was tired as I had another appointment that day and meeting up with this guy seemed difficult! Otherwise I would more lucid and aware so would of asked him more questions, especially regarding the lack of inclusions, which has thrown me to be honest.

Everything I have read in the most part, has led me to believe, cheap synthetic and any other material or extremely heat treat ie difussion has made me believe there would be bubbles, finding good images and data regarding inclusions in sapphire is tough, and from what I have read also, even the labs have to do some pretty fancy stuff to find it.

I definately need a better microscope, and to clean the gem before viewing, should I just use a microfiber cloth or should or be getting some other material.

Also, going back to this ultraviolet, is this just a black light ? Maybe I am misunderstanding, would a $1 one from the dollar store work ? I did some more reading today regarding how a stone, synthetic will glow a different colour.

Which in turn has me curious, if the stone has no inclusions, how can you tell what type of synthetic it is? What is the marker ? Im not questioning the validity of its origin, not in the slightest, just as i was driving home, i started to ask myself, how do you conclude that.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! That's great that you are learning in this way. When I first started out, I went to see as many colored stones as I could get my hands on in DC. I found a few brick and mortar stores that had a decent selection of very good quality stones, and that helped me develop my taste.

If you're interested in learning about gemology equipment, there is another forum for gemologists. There are threads about UV light sources, as well as basic gemology equipment. We're not allowed to post a link to it on Pricescope, but if you do a search for gemology and other general terms, I am sure you will find it. I am an infrequent poster on that forum, also in the colored stone section. I have the same user name over there, so you'll know you've found it if you see my post.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You understand and explained perfectly why I prefer to send certain stones, especially sapphire, to a good lab to verify treatment. There are too many different treatments done to corundum and some require lots of experience and fancy tools to detect. The UV light is to detect fluorescence because for some gems, it brings up the possibility of being a synthetic. The same goes with a Chelsea filter. The $1 type will not work as well as a good one.

Synthetics are material that has the same chemical composition as the real gem. Therefore, usually it will have the same characteristics as its natural counterpart (specific gravity, pleochroism, refractive index, etc).

Simulants are other gem types that mimic the gem it is advertised as. Sometimes, the simulant could be a synthetic of a different gem family. Simulants will not have the same chemical composition as the natural gem it is trying to pass of as.

Let's use blue sapphire as an example. A simulant could be a synthetic blue spinel. With a refractometer, dichroscope, chelsea filter and etc, one can easily eliminate that it is not a real sapphire because the numbers will not be in range. A synthetic will have values that tell you it is a sapphire. To next determine whether it is a natural stone, then the microscope comes into play to view the inclusions (type and/or lack of). If it is indeed a natural stone, then looking at the inclusions will tell you if it has been heated and sometimes whether it is has been diffused, clarity enhanced or more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results