shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting opinions for HPHT lab diamond

lunab

Rough_Rock
Hello experts!

I would love your opinion on this HPHT diamond I am about to purchase from Frank Darling. I saw it in person, it seems to have no blue tint at all. It scored 1.1 on the HCA tool, being excellent in all categories but spread. I also took this hears and arrow scope picture at the jeweler (unfortunately there is a small chance that this is of another diamond I was considering, but I am 90% sure it is the correct one, and also seems to match the video).

I am planning on a custom low profile setting with floral prongs on 14k yellow gold.

The main characteristics are:
G color
VVS2
7.61 - 7.64 X 4.66 MM
Depth: 61.2%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Table: 56.5%
1.65 CT

My main concern is that it may be too yellow, but I also read that DEF doesn't make a big difference with yellow gold prongs. What do you think? Are there any other issues I am missing?

Thank you in advance! PXL_20230311_210348215.jpg

Attachments

• 561259351 (3).pdf
    487.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you been able to bring it around different lighting environments to see how it performs? It looks like a very nice diamond.

lunab

Rough_Rock
Have you been able to bring it around different lighting environments to see how it performs? It looks like a very nice diamond.

Thank you Kim! Yes, it looked great to me in different light. I also saw it on a color shade card. I would say it definitely didn't have any blue or gray tint, but maybe was slightly yellow (I think it looks a bit yellow in the video too). I only had other G color diamonds to compare it too, which I read can make it hard to see color since it's easier when compared to a colorless stone. But then again I don't know how much I should care about it since I want yellow gold prongs anyways. What is your recommendation for yellow gold settings? Would a D color stone still look whiter in a yellow gold setting? Thank you again for your opinion!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kim! Yes, it looked great to me in different light. I also saw it on a color shade card. I would say it definitely didn't have any blue or gray tint, but maybe was slightly yellow (I think it looks a bit yellow in the video too). I only had other G color diamonds to compare it too, which I read can make it hard to see color since it's easier when compared to a colorless stone. But then again I don't know how much I should care about it since I want yellow gold prongs anyways. What is your recommendation for yellow gold settings? Would a D color stone still look whiter in a yellow gold setting? Thank you again for your opinion!

I think most stones look whiter in a yellow gold setting. When your G is set in yellow gold, it should look whiter as well.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A well cut stone does not show color well face up. It reflects. I have had L diamonds in yellow gold that presented bright and white face up. From the side there was tint, but not much. I recently sold that diamond and the buyer was also surprised at the whiteness/brightness.

Your D E F G will be great! and whiter than this L

IMG-5607.jpg

lunab

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I decided to book a second appointment to compare the stone two 2 with a higher color rating and also to see it again in different lightings and take some more pictures, I will update in case I am undecided after the next appointment. Thank you again for the helpful advice!

lunab

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I went back to Frank Darling to compare the diamond above with a D color one with similar cut. When I googled the diamond's IGI ID I actually saw that @DejaWiz previously suggested it to someone when it was still available at Ritani, so I am happy it already passed a first check there, especially since the 360 video is currently down! I took some pictures on a Eurotab and took pictures of their respective hearts and arrows. I am leaning towards the D color one, my only concern is whether it still has any tint. Since the other one is visibly yellowish this one looks blue to me next to it. What do you think? Is there anything else I am missing when comparing them? Cut wise they look very similar to me, I maybe have a slight preference for the D color there too but I can't pinpoint why. Is there a difference in terms of cut quality? PXL_20230324_205403150~2.jpg PXL_20230324_205341204~2.jpg PXL_20230324_203907481~2.jpg PXL_20230324_203831366~2.jpg PXL_20230324_203430262~2.jpg PXL_20230324_203536325~2.jpg PXL_20230324_205010293~2.jpg PXL_20230324_205109983~2.jpg PXL_20230324_205341204~2.jpg PXL_20230324_205406780~2.jpg (One more note: In the pictures in the stone holders both look yellow due to my phone case, but in real life I could definitely tell which one was the G even from the top)

Attachments

• 561259351 G color.pdf
    487.9 KB · Views: 5
  • LG523282911 D color.pdf
    480.1 KB · Views: 6

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, lunab!

Here are the vendor videos for both:

No blue nuance for either of these HPHT diamonds!

Which one captured your eyes the most, based on their performance personalities?

Felipe

Rough_Rock
No blue nuance for either of these HPHT diamonds!

It must be my laptop screen, but do both pavilions, D and G, look grayish in the pavilion up picture and in the 360 videos?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It must be my laptop screen, but do both pavilions, D and G, look grayish in the pavilion up picture and in the 360 videos?

That can be a normal affect when viewing diamonds in such a manner...you'll see the same happening here:

Screenshot_20230326-125949-327.png

From this article about blue nuance:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I can see the color in the G stone, but in the vendor videos, I'm drawn to the G. DejaWiz is right. Which one speaks to you? Have you had someone show them to you separately without knowing which one you are looking at? Comparing a D & G together you are going to see the color, but maybe not when you see it alone.

lunab

Rough_Rock
Thank you for sending the merchants video, and great to know there isn't a blue tint! It is broken on Frank Darling. I do prefer the G in the videos but preferred the D in real life. I felt like I could see a yellow tint in the G one even without comparing (the first time I only looked at G color diamonds), but at the same I am more worried about the D having a greyish tint, though I do feel like the Eurotool background also looks greyish in the picture.

Is there any noticable difference in the cut based on the angles or on the H&A scope pictures? I am so indecisive ‍

Felipe

Rough_Rock
The D has a smaller table, that's nice. If the VS2 inclusions don't bother you, I would go for it. If you are afraid of a greyish tint, jusk ask the seller.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I like the cut precision better for the D color than the G color.

lunab

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! Just placed the order for the D. Will post pictures once I receive the ring

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you. Please post some photos when you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results