shape
carat
color
clarity

Reputable jeweler in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dedicated

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I will be in the Chicago area this weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of a good jeweler in the Chicago area. I''m starting to ring shop, now that I am better informed-thank you.

momothree

Shiny_Rock
I had an excellent experience with Dimend Scaasi (5 South Wabash, 17th floor) when I recently bought an eternity ring. The showroom and the owner, Isaac, have both received a bunch of great reviews in the past on PS and I found all the positive comments to be true. I would not hesitate to buy from him again! Good luck!

jgh12

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/21/2005 9:15:03 PM
Author: momothree
I had an excellent experience with Dimend Scaasi (5 South Wabash, 17th floor) when I recently bought an eternity ring. The showroom and the owner, Isaac, have both received a bunch of great reviews in the past on PS and I found all the positive comments to be true. I would not hesitate to buy from him again! Good luck!
Yes, a lot of PS people recommended Dimend Scaasi so I went to check it out myself. Isaac was indeed very nice and service was great. I felt comfortable in his experience that I put a dimond that he recommended on hold. However, when I came home and did some more reseach I realized that he was trying to sell me one of his "signature" stones with a GIA cert that stated the SI2 clarity was based on a large cloud. Several people on PS have warned against clouds in SI2 stones that are large enough that they effect the clarity. I went back and looked at his recommendation side by side with other stones with the same color and clarity but without a cloud. Sure enough, the one with the cloud looked milky white. When I confronted Isaac about it he said, that the effect to the brilliance of the stone is minimal. Then he tried to pressure me into buying it by saying he had another guy who wants it so it will definitely sell if I don't take it. At that point I didn't feel comfortable anymore so I declined. This all happened 5 weeks ago and if you do a search you'll see that the same stone is still for sale:

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?certNum=16-0405

I hate people why try to push things on me and use lying pressure tactics to make a sale. Its unprofessional. However, first impressions carry a lot of weight so I tried to go back a couple weeks later to see if he found any other options for me. Unfortunately, he was not as warm and welcoming to see me and rushed me out of the store when there was no one else there waiting. This was shocking considering I had to wait for him to serve other people who come in before my appointment time and some other people who even came in during my appointment!

In the end I'm very happy I didn't go with him not only because of the diamond quality, but also because of the price. The stone he was trying to sell me cost basically the same as the H&A stones I bought online of the same color and clarity but without a large milky cloud. Additionally, he was going to charge me more for a 14K gold setting than what I paid for my 18K gold setting with Palladium.

However, only you can be the judge. I'm just telling you about my personal experience, but maybe you'll get different service and stones shown to you. It can't hurt to stop by. Just keep in mind that there are numerous jewelers around that area. Its considered the diamond district of Chicago. Walking along Wabash you'll find a lot, but there are even more hidden inside of the buildings. Press any floor number inside 5 S. Wabash and you'll walk out to a dozen store options. Its crazy how many diamond malls there are along that street.

Have fun!
Jason

dedicated

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions and info. I am more aware and hopefully prepared. Besides, I''m just looking right now. I''m really interested in the H&A, next to the other modified rounds such as the eighternity and solasferas. I''ve heard really good things about them but would like to see them for myself. I''m actually starting to enjoy this whole process!

Thanks again

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, this is Isaac, the owner of dimend SCAASI.

It is so nice to read all the great feedback posted on us, and every so often someone would say "hey, you have to read this post about you"... I don't always have a chance to log in and read, but every so often when I do, it is heart warming to read these great reviews.

I also read Jason's review and was really shocked at his description of the 'pressure' he had received from me. What Jason neglected to mention was that he scheduled appointments and came to see me on 3 different lengthy occasions. On every appointment, Jason received the type of education and service we are known for. I showed him many diamonds up on a large screen LCD magnified up to 300 times, taught him about Colors, Clarities and Cut, but the one he liked was an SI2 (Ideal-cut and rated Excellent for both Polish and Symmetry) which the GIA graded based on internal clouds. These diamonds appear clean under magnification and so, are very attractive. He did have a choice of many other diamonds, but this 'clean' SI2 was very appealing to him.

At the end of our 3rd session, when Jason decided against this diamond (I did also have a pending client who was interested in this diamond and who ended up buying an EightStar diamond instead), we ended the last session, shook hands and I said I was going to keep an eye out for another diamond for him.
A few days went by, and Jason shows up (without an appointment), asking to see me. He then showed me a diamond he bought somewhere else and asked for my opinion. I said the diamond was very pretty and congratulated him on his purchase. Jason wanted to buy one of our settings and I told him it is our policy to only sell our settings along with one of our diamonds, and since Jason didn't buy a diamond from us, we cannot sell him a setting.

At that point, I had to prepare for my next appointment and so I said goodbye to Jason thinking that even though he didn't find a diamond with us, he at least found a diamond to his liking. That was the last I thought of it until I read this review.

We strive to sell our diamonds and settings at competitive price. And while you might be able to find sites out there who only exist in cyberspace, and who might offer diamonds for a few % cheaper, you must factor in that sitting with me in person, taking an hour or so to educate and show you what Colors, Clarities and Cut are all about, is worth it (we also offer the ability to upgrade a diamond bought from us with full credit). Once the diamond selection is over, we proceed to either select a setting, or I will personally design one for you.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish Jason and his fiancé all the best.

Thank you all again for your continuing support, its your love and passion of Gems and Jewelry that inspires my creativity and I owe my success to you all.

Best regards,

Isaac Gottesman
Owner, dimend SCAASI

jgh12

Rough_Rock
It’s interesting to see how differently actions and words are perceived by people.

I must clarify certain things so the readers can judge for themselves. My initial session with Isaac was unannounced, but he still invested time in educating me for a sale. Afterwards, I made one appointment to place the diamond on hold and another appointment to examine the cloud again. Both appointments did not last very long and were interrupted by other people who randomly walked in without an appointment. Additionally, during once session he even made me wait 20minutes past my appointment slot while he helped make a sale to another unannounced couple. I’m not sure about others, but I find it rude for a jeweler to walk out on you or make you wait while he helps others during your scheduled appointment session. Perhaps it’s just my perception, but his actions made it seem like an appointment was not necessary to get his attention.

In terms of words, how would you take it if someone said, “We need to decide today if this diamond is for you because I have someone else who wants it so the diamond will sell if you don’t take it.” Again, perhaps the pressure of a sale was just my perception, but that is what I heard.

Yes, the final encounter was unannounced, but given his past actions I did not see a reason why he wouldn’t help me especially since he did say that he would search the database and keep his eyes open for me. However, as soon as I pulled out the other diamond his facial expression changed. Whether or not he meant anything by it can be debated, but my perception was not positive since the words and actions which followed clearly reflected a change in mood. My showing of the diamond was intended to be used as comparison with his inventory, but all he said was “that’s a pretty diamond” and rushed me out the door. I would’ve happily gone with another recommendation but he didn’t even try. In the end I left still feeling uneasy about things.

Those who have followed my postings know that I ended up returning that diamond because it did not have a good HCA score. The lack of performance could clearly be seen, but Isaac did not mention it at all. Once again, this may be all a matter of perception, but a truly dedicated and trusted jeweler should put your mind at ease. I did not gain such relief from his store.

However, never once did I say not to go to his store because I do believe in judging for ones self. The reason I wanted to share my story is to offer another perspective of my dealings with the readers of this forum. In the end, only you can be the judge of perceived service.

Happy Hunting!
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results