shape
carat
color
clarity

Repurposing a ring into a bangle bracelet

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an Asscher cut natural blue Topaz from Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems in Australia back in 2015/6 and set in a ring with a set of step cut white Topaz that he had also cut for me in a ring.

DM Asscher NB Topaz Ring #2.JPG

However, I am not in love with it due to the side view of the gallery being too tall and plain due to its depth, and I did not appreciate the depth of setting until I received the ring:

DM Asscher NB Topaz Ring.JPG

I was going to have it remade by adding some details to the gallery, like this with some small diamonds:

DK's DM Asscher NB Topaz Remake.png
However, since the ring was made, I had an EC Aquamarine cut for me by Jeff White, plus a pair of step cut Morganite traps also cut by him as side stones; and had this ring made (the black and white photo is the inspiration ring). I knew I needed to add some details in the gallery as the Aqua is a deep stone:

JW_Aquamarine_6.16ct_9.37x12.18mm.jpg JW_Morganite_Traps.png vramjewelry_979054231100158097_1429986115.png 20201201_092613.jpg 20221107_110345.jpg 20221107_110327.jpg

I love this Aqua and Morganite ring, and have the dilemma what to do with the natural blue Asscher cut Topaz ring as I don't fancy another ring in a similar design.

Hence, I am contemplating to repurpose the natural blue Asscher cut Topaz ring into a bangle bracelet instead rather than to spend the money to have it remake into another ring.

This is a rough drawing of my design idea, for the 5 stones to be bezel-set without any gaps if at all possible like how they are set in the existing ring. The grey parts will be polished gold, so that this middle piece will be wide enough to sit on my wrist without turning. It will be attached to plain polished Curb chains and fastens with a trigger spring clasp of some sort.

1698406957022.png
Hopefully, it will not cost the earth to have it made, and the natural blue Topaz is pale enough for the new bangle bracelet to be worn as part of a parure with my Aquamarine pieces (the new Colorado Aqua Jeff W had cut for me is going to be set as a brooch-pendant, hopefully soon), should I want to wear them all together.

Thanks for reading my project, hope you like it!

DK :))

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t like rings that sit too high, either. I know the stones look better set high (the science behind ring tweezers taught me that.)

My wrists are just as super-sized as my hands and feet, so I can never wear a bangle or ready made mass produced bracelets, which is a bummer because like rings, I can see the gemstones. So long ago I discovered cuffs, and have a collection, because the fit, and they don’t spin and damage the stones.

So I wanted to share a cuff design that sprang to mind when I read your post. It’s deep enough to hold your stones, and has a closed back to protect them. This one is hammered and the cut of the stones works with that texture, but obviously that won‘t work with step cuts. And the scale is wrong. It’s just an inspiration photo. But it could have a different style that could work. Plus, this is made from silver, and has never tarnished, so there is some way to achieve a non-tarnishing silver. I mix it with all of my white metals, and it fits in seamlessly.

Just a thought that pop into my head. I love your stones and all I want is for you to be able to wear them in such a way that can see them. IMG_1723.png

Attachments

• IMG_1722.png
    IMG_1722.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1721.png
    IMG_1721.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 10

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like rings that sit too high, either. I know the stones look better set high (the science behind ring tweezers taught me that.)

My wrists are just as super-sized as my hands and feet, so I can never wear a bangle or ready made mass produced bracelets, which is a bummer because like rings, I can see the gemstones. So long ago I discovered cuffs, and have a collection, because the fit, and they don’t spin and damage the stones.

So I wanted to share a cuff design that sprang to mind when I read your post. It’s deep enough to hold your stones, and has a closed back to protect them. This one is hammered and the cut of the stones works with that texture, but obviously that won‘t work with step cuts. And the scale is wrong. It’s just an inspiration photo. But it could have a different style that could work. Plus, this is made from silver, and has never tarnished, so there is some way to achieve a non-tarnishing silver. I mix it with all of my white metals, and it fits in seamlessly.

Just a thought that pop into my head. I love your stones and all I want is for you to be able to wear them in such a way that can see them. IMG_1723.png

That is a statement cuff/bangle, thanks for the inspiration! :kiss2:

It would be very costly to make in gold, even in 9K!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a great idea and I do a lot of repurpose myself. It's a really clever use of what you have already.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s going to look really pretty @dk168

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
That is a statement cuff/bangle, thanks for the inspiration! :kiss2:

It would be very costly to make in gold, even in 9K!

Actually it’s not solid. By ippolta. Found mine on eBay. Just bought a second. It’s my favorite bracelet currently

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im all for repurposing if its going to be a bracelet/ cuff
i love the depth of the stone but totally get why you dont like the gallery (i have that problem with a ring of mine too)
i love the idea of a bangle because im sure we all have a ton of rings and you can also enjoy a bangle while wearing it like we can a ring

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results