shape
carat
color
clarity

Repost from RT: L color diamond in ROSE gold or YELLOW gold???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Reposting this from Rocky Talky to get some more valuable input! I figured the jewelry forum crowd may have some opinions.

Should I get this stone set in 18K yellow gold, or rose gold? I am getting a beautiful setting from Heart of Water Jewels (picture in next post), and just can't decide which would be best with my stone. I'm so torn! There has been great input on either side, and I just can't make up my mind. ARGH!!!
32.gif

Thanks in advance for your help, PS is a lifesaver!

Lcoloreddiamond07192.jpg

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the setting I am getting (with a different stone, of course)

il_430xN.603727572.jpg

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Holy tamole! That will be gorgeous, no matter what color.

Buutttt my vote is yellow gold :) For some reason the heart of water ring just screams yellow gold to me (prob because the only ones i have seen are in yg).

I like rose gold a lot - but I feel like maybe I would get sick of it after a while - yg not so much.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Julesbeth!

I appreciate the input. Yeah, I''m leaning towards YG a lot, but, still like to hear any other pros or cons to either metal. It just looks so nice in the YG though!

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
See, I''m the opposite - I would do rose gold in a heartbeat, but *only* if HOW could send pictures of the mounting after it had been cast, or show me pics of previous rose gold samples, to ensure the rose wasn''t too pink like a lot of modern rose gold is, rather that gorgeous subtle peach-pink that a lot of older/antique gold jewelry has, just a faint blush of pink to warm the natural yellow of the gold.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
GossamerAngel- I know what you mean, I did ask for any pictures she may have of her previous rose gold work--just to see the tone of gold she has used (I know whichever metal she uses she''ll do a great job!)

Sandiego Lady-- It''s a replacement e-ring. So, yeah, I''ll be wearing it everyday! Glad you like the setting:)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Well, not sure if you saw it but I did reply in your other thread:

I''m gonna have to say yellow - it just looks so classic and pretty with that setting, plus it''s what Sally does 99% of her work in.
She is starting to use RG, but something to consider - its a diff. alloy with different properties when creating jewellery (so I''ve read),
and she has not worked with it much yet.
I love Sally and her work and know she would never turn out anything but a high quality product, but I just feel like she has
perfected this setting in the YG
Plus it will complement your L

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 8:57:03 PM
Author: soycoffee
GossamerAngel- I know what you mean, I did ask for any pictures she may have of her previous rose gold work--just to see the tone of gold she has used (I know whichever metal she uses she''ll do a great job!)

Sandiego Lady-- It''s a replacement e-ring. So, yeah, I''ll be wearing it everyday! Glad you like the setting:)
Could be wrong, but I don''t think she''s worked in RG before - at least not under her Heart of Water "brand".

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Arujajane,

Thanks for your responses! (under both threads).

That is one of the reasons I am leaning towards YG--she has perfected her work in it. I wrote to her a couple days ago and she said that she does work in rose gold when requested, so it is an option. Like I said, I asked to see any pictures she may have of her rose gold work--not because of quality, I am sure it would be great, but because of wanting to see what tone it is.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 9:09:13 AM
Author: soycoffee
Arujajane,

Thanks for your responses! (under both threads).

That is one of the reasons I am leaning towards YG--she has perfected her work in it. I wrote to her a couple days ago and she said that she does work in rose gold when requested, so it is an option. Like I said, I asked to see any pictures she may have of her rose gold work--not because of quality, I am sure it would be great, but because of wanting to see what tone it is.
Yes I realize this, as I was one of the people who encouraged her to purchase some RG alloy a couple weeks ago
5.gif

But I don't think she has made any pieces *yet*, and so therefore may not have any examples to show you.
I could certainly be wrong of course!

I would ask her to describe the alloy, perhaps send her some photos of the tones that you do and don't like, that may work.

Imho, I would go with the YG. I'm just not a fan of RG for erings, I say save it for a RHR or other project down the road.
Just my 0.02 of course
2.gif

Good luck with your decision, I am waiting on a sterling lotus setting to be finished anyday, it really is very pretty!

jjjul

Rough_Rock
WOW!! That''s really unique!! I love the yellow gold for sure
30.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yellow. It''s classic. Unless you have a "reason" like color matching of pink diamonds/ rose gold, I like yellow. Just my 2 cents.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Rose gold, with a pink diamond band below...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Soy, is she working on your ring yet? I''m DYING to see it I tell you!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I too late to vote for yellow gold? If you want to bring out the warmer tones of the diamond it''ll be perfect. Rose gold will (in my opinion) not really do much for the stone and I agree with an earlier poster who said that it might date or you may get fed up of it in rose gold - it''s also much more difficult to co-ordinate.

Sally hasn''t worked in rose gold before either and rose gold can be very very red looking or can just have a hint of a tint so it depends on what metal mix she''s using.

Have you considered white gold? That will bring out the whiteness of the diamond - if that''s what you want.

Would love to see the finished ring though!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
I vote for rose gold, I love the warmth and I''m biased, I think pink is my favorite color too. However, I agree that rose gold can look very faint or very copperish. I would ask her for an example of her rose gold pieces before deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results