shape
carat
color
clarity

Repolish a VVS1 chip?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen the experts here post on several occasions that a chip is prone to damage and must be repolished. Makes a lot of sense.

What about a chip that's noted on the clarity plot of a GIA report as the only feature of a VVS1 stone? Would that have to be repolished or is a VVS1 chip by definition so small that in all likelihood it poses no threat to the integrity of the stone?

Or is the answer "it depends", presumably on location? If this is the case, what locations would be better or worse?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
If repolishing upgraded it to IF - then you might have a large increase in value -
appl.gif

It's got to be a very small chip if that's what's giving the VVS1 call - probably pinpoint...hard to imagine it could be a durability issue - For me, unless the above IF issue obtained, I'd forgetaboutit!
2.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
VVS1 stones are among the most difficult to grade, because the inclusions are so darned small that they take forever to find and many times you're not sure what you're seeing. If the grade is fair, that chip has to be so small as to be almost meaningless as far as durability. Most likely it's a nick that has just enough depth to qualify as an inclusion (instead of a blemish).

Maybe you could polish it down and get an IF, but personally, I'd leave it alone.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Gee LG - nice face lift...or is that a drop - from your previous incarnation that is.
wavey.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys. My gut feeling was that it is a non-issue but it's good to have the confirmation.

LawGem, this is your new Diamonds are Forever persona?
9.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/9/2004 1:38:16 PM elmo wrote:

LawGem, this is your new Diamonds are Forever persona?
9.gif

----------------
Something like that, although I'm not sure which movie it's from. Ben was getting old.
10.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gary

Is it possible that the stone wouldn't take the polish in order to get it to IF? Or can any stone make it to IF if the cutter works on it long enough?

R/A

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
LG:

Not sure what you mean by, "wouldn't take the polish"...the only directions a diamond can't be polished are exactly in the planes of the 4 cleavages, but this is gotten around by polishing at slight angles to those planes.

As for any stone becoming an IF if you polish it to small enough proportions - theoretically true, except in cases of stones which have pervasive inclusions throughout - e.g., clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results