shape
carat
color
clarity

replating and engraved WG ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a WG signet ring which was goven to my by my parents a few years ago. My initials are engraved on it. I need to have it re-plated but I''m concerned it will affect the engraving. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Stephanie

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
If the initials are on the inside you could always have them taped /waxed over then it goes into the plating solution so they wouldn''t be effected. May look a little odd though if the Rhodium is worn off around the letters.

Rhodium plating puts a layer a few microns thick - if you can see a change in thickness like that you have better eyes than me. Should be undetectable to you - unless you do it a several thousand times.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, I would seriously ask about this before getting it done. I had a bracelet with some fine metal detail replated and they do repolish after plating...the details were completely buffed out. So definitely ask whomever is going to do it for you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, the engraving is on the outside. It''s in the shape of a signet ring but it has a blank spot on the face where the initials go. I suppose it could be considered fine detail so the replating probably wouldnt be an option.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to have a reply from one of the jewellers here on this. I thought I remembered reading before that rhodium does not affect engraving?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results