carat
color
clarity

Replacement Melee Diamond in Antique ring

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:cry2:
I've just painted my nails and when I put my ring back on I noticed that I've lost a diamond from the shoulder. Had a look around the house, my fiance was vacuuming at the time I was doing my nails :roll2:.
I believe this is the same one that was replaced last year shortly after I had it resized, should the work be guaranteed? If not, what is a ball park figure for getting it replaced? (UK) :confused:
Thank you

ps I'm sorry that I've put this in the wrong sub-forum :(

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Click on report concern and get the mods to move it to RockyTalky where you should get more answers. Sift thru the vacuuming if you don’t want to get a replacement stone otherwise I’d be going back to the jeweller who did the replacement and asking if this is standard for the design of your ring and how the stones are set. You could post pictures here too if you’d like to get some opinions on whether this seems wrong or not - I think I would be annoyed to lose a stone from the same place again!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EDA25B5B-B589-4EAC-BA24-22AAAE5381FE.jpeg CC70B1CA-E776-450D-B12E-ABDB71EDEB41.jpeg
Click on report concern and get the mods to move it to RockyTalky where you should get more answers. Sift thru the vacuuming if you don’t want to get a replacement stone otherwise I’d be going back to the jeweller who did the replacement and asking if this is standard for the design of your ring and how the stones are set. You could post pictures here too if you’d like to get some opinions on whether this seems wrong or not - I think I would be annoyed to lose a stone from the same place again!

Thanks, I already sent a report a couple of hours ago. Pretty sure this is the same stone as before, the ring is the one in my avatar, I have other threads with pics but unfortunately I’ve also just managed to kill my laptop keyboard too. Dropped a drink on it last night and the keys were working but sticky - my partner tried to clean it up and it’s stopped working completely.

The previous repair was arranged by the antique shop we bought from so I don’t know what jeweller they used. Will probably go back to them for first advice/estimate although they are 40 miles away.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1A452ACF-6C2D-4E97-9885-D37AA875A3BC.jpeg Sorry, the pics are above the quote. I am posting from my phone. This is how the unrepaired side looks

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just had the thread moved, does anyone else have any advice? Thanks

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! And no worries, this is easily fixable. My first engagement ring was an Art Deco ring and one I also lost a si gel cut stone (you have single cut, not meleè (aka full cut)) any reputable jeweler should be able to fix this. The single cut small diamond replacement cost me $5 at the time and the prong repair another $20 or so.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok thank you. They did it for free last time after I had it sized so I didn’t think it could be a lot. The hole that is left looks bigger than the original stones though

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reeeeesult! :D

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
she was very apologetic and said it shouldn't have happened so they are going to get it checked and make sure its stronger next time. I said that I did wear it every day, and she said "As you would want to!"
She's also looking out for some matching earrings for me :cool2: Lots of pretties in her window.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and today, almost a year later I've lost a different one. :cry:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh noooooo :(2

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The lady from the antique shop said we could go back if there were problems any time, but I am not expecting a free repair this time. I've taken it off for now, because it's the top diamond nearest the sapphire, and right where the scrolling/filigree is under the shoulders. I think there is a crack in the platinum.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully they’ll be able to fix it and make it good as new for you.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, fingers crossed.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dropped it off for repair this afternoon. They said they could see under the loupe that a prong has been damaged, I probably caught it on something.
It will take a while to be sent off and to come back because of the new year, bank holiday etc. So may be a couple of weeks. The estimate was £20-50 from what I remember my fiancé telling me.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s good news that it’s being repaired and you’ll have it back soon. Doesn’t sound too bad for the repairs either.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Had an update, the platinum prong and the part where the diamond was seated was damaged and can't be reworked without doing the whole ring, so they're going to put some 18ct white gold in the hole and then use that to hold the new diamond. It will be £30+ VAT and then I need to pay postage from the vendor to the jeweller both ways.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results