shape
carat
color
clarity

Repl. diamond vs. original diamond (lost)..just as good?

zw99

Rough_Rock
I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time locating my original diamond and we were very happy with it's visual performance. Part of my criteria was using the HCA. That diamond is: http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2176414190

Unfortunately that ring was lost. We're working to get it replaced, and was presented with this diamond: http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6222689604... Off the bat, I ran it through the HCA, and it only scored "good" vs. "excellent" for the original. I know the HCA is only one tool, but should I use it to dismiss this diamond without taking a look in person (they'll mail it to me)?

We're bummed about losing the original ring, and I don't want to always be wondering if the replacement diamond is "just as good." What are your thoughts on the replacement diamond? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that I would not accept that stone. This can be a lot more efficient if you give them the parameters you will accept. My suggestions follow.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What information about the diamond was on your appraisal and on your insurance policy?

Wink

zw99

Rough_Rock
The policy and claims adjuster have a copy of the appraisal which contains the GIA lab report, and digital photos typically supplied with diamonds from Good Old Gold. What is the significance of this?

Another slightly off topic, but related question, when working with the insurance company to obtain a replacement, do you have to use their vendor? I'm sure if varies with insurance companies/policies, but what it typical? I'd prefer to use the same vendor that I made the original purchase from. My policy covers replacement cost, so it seems that as long as I'm under the insured value, it should be fine? I have a question in to the adjuster to clear this up but I'd like to hear personal experiences as well.

Thanks

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
zw99|1479913461|4101860 said:
Another slightly off topic, but related question, when working with the insurance company to obtain a replacement, do you have to use their vendor? I'm sure if varies with insurance companies/policies, but what it typical? I'd prefer to use the same vendor that I made the original purchase from. My policy covers replacement cost, so it seems that as long as I'm under the insured value, it should be fine? I have a question in to the adjuster to clear this up but I'd like to hear personal experiences as well.

It really depends on the insurer. For instance, if you use Jeweler's Mutual it is typical to be able to use the vendor of your choice. I imagine even insurance where that isn't standard can do it, but you might have to pay for the item out of pocket and wait to get reimbursed, rather than the insurer coordinating directly with the jeweler. Since your original ring was from Good Old Gold, I'd probably dig in your heels on wanting to work with the original jeweler.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
zw99|1479913461|4101860 said:
The policy and claims adjuster have a copy of the appraisal which contains the GIA lab report, and digital photos typically supplied with diamonds from Good Old Gold. What is the significance of this?

Thanks

In some States, Idaho for example, it is the law. The adjuster will not tell you this, but if you check with your state insurance department you can find this out easily.

If they ask you to get three bids, DO NOT DO THIS! If you do they will choose the lowest bid for you and you will not get what you deserve.

You have more rights than you might think, be sure to talk with your adjuster and if you do not get the answers you like, talk with the insurance department in your state. If you hire an attorney the state insurance department can not longer assist you, but if you ask them to talk to the adjuster's insurance company on your behalf you will not have to pay, at least in Idaho.

In short, since there is a GIA report, you are entitled to a diamond cut at least as well as that report. Do NOT settle for less!

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results