shape
carat
color
clarity

Repair/Recut small badly chipped diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccbrianf

Rough_Rock
I am having a very hard time getting any good advice from local jewlers, google searches, etc. on this issue.

Recently, my wife badly chipped the diamond in her wedding ring. It was a designer (I don''t remember the name, German I think) tension mount ring purchased from a very reputable jewler (Tivol in Kansas City, MO) containing a small diamond
(I believe it was around 1/4 to 1/3 carat round briliant). We took it back to the jewler, and they said we lost about 1/3 of the stone. I wouldn''t say it was 1/3. but it was a pretty bad chip. It appeared to have been chipped in some way by the tension mount (although it lasted for almost five years) because from the way it was set (entirely flush in a gold band), it is hard to imagine how she could have hit it on anything, especially on the mounting side. Anyway, we have since replaced the stone, but we still have the old chipped one.

To us, in its current state (a loose badly chipped stone in a bag), it is essentially worthless, other than its sentimental value. So, my question is, is there any way you would suggest to salvage part of it for sentimental reasons? I don''t really care how much of the stone is lost in the process since it is not worth anything to us now anyway. Just knowing the salvaged part was part of the original gives it value to us.

Is there any realistic way to recut/repair such a small badly chipped stone? My budget for doing so is not infinite, but I thought I should at least investigate the possibility. Even a tiny resulting stone would be usefull. One of my ideas for it would be to mount it on a puzzle ring for her because she gave me one to wear on a chain when we first started dating. Thus, it would symbolize two different beginnings to our relationship. As such, you can see I am not overly concerned about value.

What should be my next step? What do most people/jewlers do with badly chipped stones?

Thanks for the help.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you would like to have it "repaired" or "recut", send it to us. Send it to David Adamson's attention at D. Atlas & Co., Inc. 732 Sansom St. Phila, PA 19106 215-922-1926 ext 108.

Dave handles my diamond buying, picking and selling. While we specialize in old cut diamond for the trade, I see we probably could assist you without stepping on anyone's toes.... Glad to take a look and do what can be done.

Please be sure to tell Dave to provide an estimate in advance...It will not cost a great deal although it may well not be truly worth doing. We can do some things for sentimental reasons.

Why not?

ccbrianf

Rough_Rock
Thanks oldminer! I was hoping you would reply.

I tried emailing this question directly to you via this site a few weeks ago, but I never got a reply.

I would love to take you up on the offer!

So, how do you ship a diamond? What type of packaging, packing material, insurance, etc. would you recommend.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results